Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IL

thoughts on ASA state combining A and B for 10s and 12s

by illini 1 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:20 am

I love the idea!!! The last few years of only having 4-6 teams compete for A State and 20-30 teams for B are gone!!! Maybe some coaches will realize that going for trophies is not what its about and making there girls better at this game is!!!!!! I just hope noone goes and throws there pool games just so they can play B, now that would be a shame!!!

Thought please!!!!
illini 1

by soupy62 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:34 am

Its about time! I think that ASA/USA should make a stand and say there is no such thing as a B state, or Nationals. Its fine if teams want to play B during the year to develop, but no awards or points would be given in those tournaments and if you win 1 you cant play B any longer. Come championship time its about crowning 1 Champion! There have been years when i thought there were some B teams that could give some of the best A teams a good run! Your right it will be nice having a big bracket for the state tournaments! Coaches that are upset about it should focus on getting their teams better.
I understand that the great teams normally have great athletes and some teams will never be able to win on a consistant basis against them. But its about desire and drive to do your best and at least compete with the best. Sure the trophies are nice but i think most are into this for a bigger and better reason. I can tell you the wins that we beat teams we shouldnt are much much more exciting for me and my girls than mowing teams down and winning a trophy!
soupy62

by Bishop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 pm

I agree there is an element of trophy hunting to the large number of team that have registered B in the past that were more than competitive with the traditional A programs.

You do have to acknowledge that some of the driver for those that have stayed a B no matter what do so because of pressure from the parents. So many parents have a weird belief that if little suzy is on a team with a loosing season it will some how scar her for life. :roll:

I don't agree with it but I understand some of the reason why some folks stayed at B.
Bishop

by WinThemAll » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 pm

I just wish NSA would do the same. . .

Too many teams in the state at 10s & 12s have played "B" in the past just so they could go to East Peoria to play in a regional world series. What a shame for those teams who truly are a "B" team.

I say do away with all "B" world series that are regionally located.

The 10U NSA state A tournament was cancelled a couple of years ago (downstate) because all the teams wanted to play B. A couple of the teams that were A were let in to the B tournament. One A team was left and was denied to play B.

I believe the team that won that one was an A team.
WinThemAll

by WinThemAll » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 am

Bishop wrote:I agree there is an element of trophy hunting to the large number of team that have registered B in the past that were more than competitive with the traditional A programs.

You do have to acknowledge that some of the driver for those that have stayed a B no matter what do so because of pressure from the parents. So many parents have a weird belief that if little suzy is on a team with a loosing season it will some how scar her for life. :roll:

I don't agree with it but I understand some of the reason why some folks stayed at B.

I think the parents at 10 and even 12 sometimes do not have any idea that they are playing B.

When reality hits those parents they will take their better player to an A team as soon as they have a chance. Then they really do become a B team because they can't get the better players to come to tryouts.

If you practice year round, and have a pitcher that can throw strikes, you are an A team.
WinThemAll

by Fuddrules » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 pm

WinThemAll wrote:I just wish NSA would do the same. . .

Too many teams in the state at 10s & 12s have played "B" in the past just so they could go to East Peoria to play in a regional world series. What a shame for those teams who truly are a "B" team.

I say do away with all "B" world series that are regionally located.

The 10U NSA state A tournament was cancelled a couple of years ago (downstate) because all the teams wanted to play B. A couple of the teams that were A were let in to the B tournament. One A team was left and was denied to play B.

I believe the team that won that one was an A team.

I don't believe they let in Mattoon Pride - ?

The team that won it was Heartland Hearts. They played a lot of ASA A all year, registered with NSA as Heartland Havoc and played B state on won. NSA knew this - why they let them in - I'm not sure. Heartland actually registered for and was in the bracket at ASA A State and were a no-show. They had more important things to accomplish.

It's great what ASA is doing. If you want to play - you're all going in 1 big pool to sort it out. We'll see how many teams intentionally tank games to go 0-2 in pool play and get their highly desired B bracket. I hope it puts more pressure on NSA to follow suit vs. letting their regulars do what they want.

I'm not so sure with the parents. Many of them would rather win than play tougher teams and go 500. They take great pride in letting their muffin pound little Suzie.
Fuddrules

Return to IL