Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IL

Calling out "B" teams that should be "A"

by illini 1 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm

I think its a shame to see how many teams from Illinois claim to be "B" and should be playing "A". In 10U ASA there are only 15 registered "A" teams, there 95 registered B. In USSSA, There are only 14 registered "A" teams, and 57 registered "B" teams. At 12 U the numbers are even more embarrasing.
Last edited by illini 1 on Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illini 1

by 2forSB » Wed May 02, 2012 2:16 am

I've seen this for years while coaching, especially at the younger age groups. Not quite as much at the 16u and 18u. The problem is (IMO) there are too many coaches (not all, but a lot) worried about their own trophy case and not the competition their girls should be playing against. I would much rather lose a game 2-1 then win 15-2. The latter of these 2 nobody gets anything out of except the pitcher gets some work but not quality!! Just my opinion. I think I remember someone once said something about a big fish in a small pond ?????
2forSB

by darkhorses1 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:26 am

Illini,

Signing up A/B only matters on a national level. All the teams that win a pool play game at ASA state will be placed in the A bracket. All the USSSA State Tournaments are "OPEN". All the tournaments in the Illinois/Iowa area are all "OPEN" and have A and B teams there. So you're rant about being signed up A or B really means nothing around here locally. When a team is made up of mostly 9 year olds, it is a B team on the national level. When they are 10, then it will go up to A. A or B mean nothing except when it comes to World Series/National play.

For the record, just because you THINK you have an A team, doesn't make them one ;)
darkhorses1

by darkhorses1 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 am

This thread sounds like a coach more concerned with what class of team is beating him rather than figuring out how to beat them. That's what is a shame.
darkhorses1

by WinThemAll » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 am

Even though dark horse is partially correct. There are too many "B" only tournaments. ALL Tournaments should be open. Especially in the Spring/Early Summer. At least ASA and U-trip have tried to do something about it. NSA will be lucky to have an "A" 10U state tournament again this year.

The teams policing themselves just isn't working at the younger age groups. Need to do away with the designations until after the state tournaments.

In all actuality, those pseudo "B" teams are only hurting themselves, by the time that the move up to 14s or 16s and start the recruitment trail, many college coaches are going to pass on watching a lot of them cause they have always played B. :mrgreen:

When an area only hosts B tournaments, it becomes hard for the A teams to find games without traveling 2 or more hours for games. Things are getting too expensive to travel every weekend. It is a shame because in all reality, taking home a trophy in some piddly tournament is not the same as the State Tournament.

Instead of B tournaments providing a ground for newer teams or rec type teams to play common competition, it has become about trophies. The young players are they only ones that suffer -- not facing better competition and getting better.
WinThemAll

by illini 1 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 pm

darkhorses1 wrote:This thread sounds like a coach more concerned with what class of team is beating him rather than figuring out how to beat them. That's what is a shame.

What does this comment have anything to do with this subject???? :roll:

That is not the case at all..... All I am saying IMO is there is a lot of "A" teams playing "B". I even pulled out the numbers for proof. The reason why Illinois ASA had to combine A and B at state for the younger groups is for this reason. 3 and 4 years ago there were only 3-4 teams fighting for class "A" championship so they had to merge it. Then there were 30+ teams fighting for the "B" championship. As little as 5+ years ago, it did really matter weather you played A or B at all levels, I guess those were the good ole days.

It used to be, you played A, not because you were truly the best team, but because the coach wanted his team to play the best and get better, instead of just looking for trophies.
illini 1

by illini 1 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:27 pm

BTW, 12U is 27 A teams and 175 B teams at Illinois ASA and USSSA it is 31 A teams and 90 B teams :cry:
illini 1

by darkhorses1 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I love how the original post was edited to remove the comment about the QC Firebirds and Black Widows. It's so easy to hide behind a screen name and point fingers, then erase it.
darkhorses1

by illini 1 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:45 pm

darkhorses1 wrote:I love how the original post was edited to remove the comment about the QC Firebirds and Black Widows. It's so easy to hide behind a screen name and point fingers, then erase it.

Im not trying to hide, I thought it seemed "Unclassy" to mention teams from organizations for which I apologize for.

With that said, dont forget I did say "great softball organizations" because both Organizations had/have teams that compete at "A" tournaments, state, and Nationals and would not even consider playing B no matter if the team was all young, old or mixed, they prided themselves on always trying to beat the best to be the best and not setteling for less.
illini 1

by Pridefpsb17 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:49 pm

WinThemAll,

USSSA is running the Illinois Central State Tournament in 12U as A, B and 11U. Four teams in A. . .laughable. They have also now dropped the ball.

Really disappointed in the powers that be.

The directors/commissioners of all the organizations need to get rid of the A-B designation from 10s-14s.
“Well-behaved women rarely make history” -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"I just want you to be happy, as long as it is on my terms" -Martha Stewart
Pridefpsb17

Next

Return to IL