Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IL

Who's going to avantis dome? Who's been there recently?

by Fuddrules » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am

Pridefpsb17 wrote:While I believe that they are the organization that nearly has it right, we are going to try USFA. While I really would like to play more ASA, we just can't attend any national event with either ASA or USSSA because of their dates for the national tournaments. Those clearly conflict with middle school/junior high softball at the 12U level. USFA's national is early enough in July as not to conflict.

BTW, 16 teams at 12U in Pekin was a little bit ridiculous (not counting the 10s or 14s). Does anybody realize that in March 15 there are 19 12U teams going?

Good luck with USFA - Not sure how that will work out but I hope it does for you.

So your JH doesn’t allow any time off for national tournaments? I know all of the JH’s I’m familiar with either allow players to miss practice for softball tournaments or impose a 1 game suspension. That’s about the extent of it.

Yea, NSA is getting a little out of control if you’re not wanting to play after midnight games. I think their next tournament (Feb 15th) has over 30 teams entered. They’ll have to be playing almost, but not quite, round the clock. Some girls may like it but not all. I know the families do NOT like it.

ASA is a little better – they seem to try and limit the total teams in the tournament to 28 or so, usually a few less. You’ll get some late night games Fri/Sat but seldom start anything after midnight. They also give you 1 inning of ITB and then flip a coin so not to back up the entire tournament. ASA also offers 1 hour 15 min games (vs. 1 hr for NSA) and is $50 less. I wonder if the umpires have something to say about not going crazy with game times? They can get kinda crabby ;)

But teams are still lining up to pay and play so unless that changes I don’t see game times getting any better.
Fuddrules

by Pridefpsb17 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

Fuddrules wrote:
Pridefpsb17 wrote:While I believe that they are the organization that nearly has it right, we are going to try USFA. While I really would like to play more ASA, we just can't attend any national event with either ASA or USSSA because of their dates for the national tournaments. Those clearly conflict with middle school/junior high softball at the 12U level. USFA's national is early enough in July as not to conflict.

BTW, 16 teams at 12U in Pekin was a little bit ridiculous (not counting the 10s or 14s). Does anybody realize that in March 15 there are 19 12U teams going?

Good luck with USFA - Not sure how that will work out but I hope it does for you.

So your JH doesn’t allow any time off for national tournaments? I know all of the JH’s I’m familiar with either allow players to miss practice for softball tournaments or impose a 1 game suspension. That’s about the extent of it.

Yea, NSA is getting a little out of control if you’re not wanting to play after midnight games. I think their next tournament (Feb 15th) has over 30 teams entered. They’ll have to be playing almost, but not quite, round the clock. Some girls may like it but not all. I know the families do NOT like it.

ASA is a little better – they seem to try and limit the total teams in the tournament to 28 or so, usually a few less. You’ll get some late night games Fri/Sat but seldom start anything after midnight. They also give you 1 inning of ITB and then flip a coin so not to back up the entire tournament. ASA also offers 1 hour 15 min games (vs. 1 hr for NSA) and is $50 less. I wonder if the umpires have something to say about not going crazy with game times? They can get kinda crabby ;)

But teams are still lining up to pay and play so unless that changes I don’t see game times getting any better.

Or call foul balls off the roof (over the dugout) fair and an out. :mrgreen:

I believe one 10U game went to 6 ITBs!!!!! even with runners on 2 & 3.

It's early in the year and I just want to get some field time for the team, let the different pitchers throw and see what we need to work on for the next couple of weeks. If we win fine, if not. . . Not the best plan for an hour time limits though.

While the ms makes allowances, go to a national that late, girls have to come right back and jump right in. Even though we only play just over 80 or so games, I feel the kids really need a break between Nationals and MS ball.

I really feel we are scheduling too many games for these kids and I am just as guilty of this. Pitchers are throwing way too many innings too young.
“Well-behaved women rarely make history” -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"I just want you to be happy, as long as it is on my terms" -Martha Stewart
Pridefpsb17

by anut710 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 am

http://www.illinoisnsa.com/yPekinIndoor12pool.htm

12u bracket play next weekend starts at 2:00am? Win and play again at 7:15am? There is a safety concern with that schedule.
anut710

by westwind » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 am

The 10u schedule has been good in both Asa and NSA tournaments that I have been to but the schedules for the other age groups has been RIDICULOUS.
westwind

by Pridefpsb17 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:13 pm

anut710 wrote:http://www.illinoisnsa.com/yPekinIndoor12pool.htm

12u bracket play next weekend starts at 2:00am? Win and play again at 7:15am? There is a safety concern with that schedule.

You ain't kidding. But that's what happens when they won't cut it off. All for the $$$$.

But when you count on going there and run into this, what choice do you have? I guess not to play but then you are stuck until it is warm enough to be outside. :twisted:

Pridefpsb17

by anut710 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 pm

The ASA schedule for 12u the weekend of the 23rd came out last week and doesn't look to bad. There is a couple games that start around 11:00pm which is still to late IMHO but tolerable.

Word has it that the NSA tourney originally had 20 teams but they offered refunds for anybody to drop to get # of teams down which 2 did. Seems a bit silly considering they should have capped it anyway. They should know that the crazy coaches and parents are anxious to play at this time of year and are not going to give up a chance to play:)
anut710

by Pridefpsb17 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am

Gees what a weekend. . .

A game at 3:15am on Sunday morning and I am still paying for it today!!! Never again. :mrgreen: Even though I usually just love "softball hangovers" this one is a killer. . .

The umpires still haven't quite figured out the ball hitting the roof. If you can't see it, just call it foul, don't guess. Give the kid the benefit of the doubt. :D

Pridefpsb17

Previous

Return to IL