Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

Middle School Softball

by thebigshow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:17 pm

MS or HS ball varies so much across the nation. We have an outstanding group of players, but they were that way BEFORE school ball. They developed the needed skills in travel.

1. It was a big deal to our girls, representing their school. First class in the programs history to win playoffs. Same group in HS has made it to state playoffs the last 2 years consecutively.
2. I'd say yes. It's a very different mindset playing for your school and town than playing for a travel team from all over the state(s).
3. Our state you CAN NOT play both at the same time. "Dual role rule". So it was a non issue.
4. Again it depends on the level of play and competition. Our middle school feeds directly into the HS, and mostly the same "schedual" of opponents. We play in the largest/hardest D1 class in the state.

I liked MS because the coach pretty much stayed out of the way and let the girls do what they were trained for from TB. I know others in the state that hate MS ball mostly because they suck. You'll have to evaluate your own situation and act accordingly.
thebigshow

by WalkOffHomer » Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 am

WalkOffHomer wrote:Questions:
1) Is middle school ball that big of a deal?
2) Does she need to play now to "prepare" for HS?
3) How do TB coaches typically react about a player missing practice for middle school ball?
4) I have heard that TB girls can "develop" bad habits from middle school ball? (eg: slower pitching and lack of fielding may develop a "laziness" on offense. And a lack of hitting may develop a poor "comfort zone" when playing defense).

With 2 weeks of Middle School ball left, I am going to answer my own questions:
1) It is a pretty big deal to the girls. And I totally get that
2) From what I have seen, there is absolutely ZERO preparation for anything in life that has come from playing middle school ball except certain social skills
3) I am going to answer from the perspective of both coaches: I think the best way to handle this situation is to be upfront. Make a commitment as to which team comes first in schedule conflicts and then make both coaches aware of the commitments that are being made. For me, travel ball was first. Unfortunately, my family is not a monarchy (and there is a lot more estrogen!). Due to weather related issues, it has pretty much worked out that conflicts were mostly avoided.
4) The way I approached this: I had a discussion with DD and informed her that if I saw a drop in performance, MS ball was going to be a thing of the past. I do think her hitting has suffered some. However, I think we my be working through that...we will see this weekend.

My analogy, get her to run track and avoid middle school ball; especially 7th grade. That being said, I'm sure I won't win this one next year and will be subject to another season of middle school softball in 8th grade.

My experience this year has taught me to appreciate the blessing (and not take it for granted) of the great competition in travel ball.

Thanks again for all who replied previously.
WalkOffHomer

by GoldElite » Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Interesting views on here. I'll have to mark this one for reference in a year or two.
GoldElite

by Foultip » Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 am

WalkOffHomer wrote:My DD is 7th grade. Her middle school only has one team with a mix of 7th/8th grade girls.

I have heard that the coach always starts 8th grade girls regardless of abilities. I'm pretty confident that my DD would be top 5 on the team.

Questions:
1) Is middle school ball that big of a deal?
2) Does she need to play now to "prepare" for HS?
3) How do TB coaches typically react about a player missing practice for middle school ball?
4) I have heard that TB girls can "develop" bad habits from middle school ball? (eg: slower pitching and lack of fielding may develop a "laziness" on offense. And a lack of hitting may develop a poor "comfort zone" when playing defense).

Thoughts...?

1) To some girls it is, but for most travel players I think they look at it as a step back. My DD is in highschool and she didn't play because of the lack of talent and she said she would be embarrassed playing middle school ball.
2) Absolutely not!!!!!
3) Most do not like the idea of MS ball, it will effect most girls in a negative way...
4) See #3 above, after hearing all the good players playing MS ball and how it changes their play, I'd pass on it. Now HS ball is a different story, but MS...... PASS!!!!!!!!!!!

And for your comment of the coach starting all 8th graders and your daughter (7th grader) is a top 5 on the team, just makes playing MS ball that much more of a waste of time. If she is a top 5 on the team, why not play to win??? Why add the frustration/aggravation to your daily lives???
Foultip

by WalkOffHomer » Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 am

Foul tip, your last comment...excellent point. I hate losing...and I'm not even on the team :D

But, in fairness, they have only lost one game. And a few of the wins have been pretty ugly (as in 20 run blowouts).

Oh, DD is starting too. But only playing every other game due to the "7th grade rotation".

I'm still hoping for track next season!
WalkOffHomer

by spleenINfishers » Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 am

I wondered why our schools didn't have MS ball. I guess I am going to stop wondering because it doesn't sound like a positive experience other than the social aspect of it.
spleenINfishers

by softball65 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 am

spleenINfishers wrote:I wondered why our schools didn't have MS ball. I guess I am going to stop wondering because it doesn't sound like a positive experience other than the social aspect of it.

I think it is largely an economics decision. That said our school district does not have middle school ball but rather announces that it utilizes the local travel ball programs as their feeder systems. They encourage people to get their kids involved. Ive heard that people have seen the varsity coaches at tournaments but I personally have not seen them.

I totally agree though that the level of competition is generally low. The coaching competence even lower. And the overall value, probably not very significant. That said, if we had a MS team, my kid would be playing. My thinking is "an at bat is an at bat". "A pitch thrown is a pitch thrown". I'm fortunately, the HS coaches know my kid is coming, but that is not true for all parents....so I think there is something to be said about exposure as well. And of course there is the point of kids becoming acquainted, friends, and teammates, which always helps to bring a team together faster. So lots of arguments for NOT participating but I would strongly encourage my kid to do so anyway.
softball65

by Doesitreallymatter » Wed May 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Play middle school softball.

You parents who are who get high from your daughter's softball success are sick. Let her play when and whereever she wants to play.

Word.
Doesitreallymatter

by GoldElite » Wed May 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Doesitreallymatter wrote:Play middle school softball.

You parents who are who get high from your daughter's softball success are sick. Let her play when and whereever she wants to play.

Word.

Hey Eminem, if you read the original posters 3rd post in this thread it was clearly stated “SHE will make a well informed decision". It sounds to me like the original poster wanted to make sure the DD considered ALL aspects when making the decision.

Perhaps you should do the same prior to your next post?

Seems maybe you just like being a jerk. Here are some more of your well thought out posts (just in case we all missed them in 2012). search.php?author_id=7006&sr=posts
GoldElite

by softball65 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Doesitreallymatter wrote:Play middle school softball.

Word.

I think you may be missing the point. Although I am basically in agreement....if the kid wants to play, let her play. To my kid, it has a lot of value to her, and she is adamant about playing for her school. That said, I totally understand why some would not like it if it is a step back. If you have a girl who is in top 5 or not, you've like invested a fair amount of $$ and time and commitment (both kid and parent(s)) in getting her there. The trip there is A LOT harder than the trip to being lazy and allowing bad habits to creep in. I totally get it how frustrating it is to have to go back and fix all of that stuff...pitching, elbow drop in hitting, etc. etc. It takes 4 times longer to fix the issue than it did to create the bad habit....so I personally think it's reasonable to be protective over issues like that. So to me, it's reasonable to consider the pluses and minuses...it isn't just about playing school ball. If you have a kid playing showcase ball facing pitchers with junk and a 59MPH riseball every weekend, and then you go to MS games with a pitcher throwing 42MPH and throws a strike every now and again....it's gona erode the kids skills, lets be honest. But to me, the experience (if the kid wants to do it) probably outweighs all of that. But I know I;d be concerned about bad habits entering in. I saw it in my other girls volleyball game. She was not the player after school vball she was going into it. Ya have to know that is going to happen and be ready to counter it.
softball65

Previous

Return to IN