Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

2013 Senior League Championships

by WalkOffHomer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:34 am

Taking a break from LLWS Regional rounds, I found the LL Senior League Championship (softball)...

South Bend, IN vs Italy

I guess we do have some pretty darn good softball in the Hoosier state.

Good luck SB ladies...bring it home!

Anybody know anything about these girls? Do they play travel ball too? Or is it a true LL All-Star team?
WalkOffHomer

by 10GatorCoach » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:41 am

Mostly a mixture of Twist 16U and Indiana Ambush 16U with a couple South Bend Scorchers 16U.
10GatorCoach

by WalkOffHomer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:28 am

Interesting...

Not impressed with the field(s)/facilities. But I guess the game is the same regardless of where it's played.
WalkOffHomer

by FPDad00 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:17 pm

WalkOffHomer,

I thought the same thing about the fields. They were pretty sad looking for a championship venue. We played in Chattanooga a few weeks back for for NSA Nationals and also went to watch some of the other age groups at their NSA sites and the fields were awesome there. But, despite the field conditions we have to be proud of the girls who represented Indiana and brought home the trophy over the Italy team. Congrats ladies!
FPDad00

by dailyjoy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:59 pm

The way district 11 handles 16u and 18u is the girls sign up and are put on teams not linked to any of the parks. The teams play two games every Monday night against each other. The team is chosen from these players. So I guess you can say it is an all star team. You have to play the Monday night little league to be selected for the team. That said I think all the girls selected also play travel ball.
dailyjoy

by WalkOffHomer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the info DJ...that's interesting. It kinda seems to go against what Little League is "all about". But I'm sure it is a very common practice (boys and girls).

I'm thinking a team from Indy could be put together in similar fashion that would really put a hurtin' on them.

Maybe I'm wrong...any thoughts?
WalkOffHomer

by Iconic Wisdom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:03 pm

I agree Walk Off...They have so many teams down there and the talent pool is so deep that you would think they could take a "best of the best" team and do VERY well in that.
Iconic Wisdom

by dailyjoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:52 pm

One thing to remember walkoffhomer is the teams here in NCI such as the twist and ambush are basically all star teams in that they are very tied, especially in the younger ages, to the little league parks. During little league the teams are focused on little league which is why you don't see the twist or ambush younger teams playing in many tournaments during little league season. Since the older girls play on Monday night they are free to play weekends but the teams are still very tied to their park with most the girls on the teams coming from their park.
dailyjoy

by Amish_TB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 am

One thing I want to add to this thread is in my opinion, the Head Coach of this team is one of the best coaches in the Northern Sector of the state. I have seen him year in and year out get the most talent out of each of his players. I have learned a ton from him just by watching how he interacts with his team, players and parents. He has a plan and works his plan. People can say what they want about Little League, but it says a lot when girls come back from their travel teams AND the travel teams coaches themselves to support that program. Kudos to Derek Hicks... My coach of the year for 2013...

Bill Bollinger
Heat 99
Amish_TB

by WalkOffHomer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:23 am

dailyjoy wrote:One thing to remember walkoffhomer is the teams here in NCI such as the twist and ambush are basically all star teams in that they are very tied, especially in the younger ages, to the little league parks. During little league the teams are focused on little league which is why you don't see the twist or ambush younger teams playing in many tournaments during little league season. Since the older girls play on Monday night they are free to play weekends but the teams are still very tied to their park with most the girls on the teams coming from their park.

That is pretty cool. I am a big fan of Little League and what that organization does. But I do think Little League would be more successful if they arranged their schedules in similar fashion that would allow the girls to play travel as well such as what you are talking about.
WalkOffHomer

Return to IN