Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

Blueberry fest

by hop2it » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:23 am

This dreadful exchange reminds me of some of the posters on HB who deride our best teams that go out of state to compete and come up short against elite Georgia and Alabama teams. C'mon sucky Elite Indiana teams who are talented and accomplished- Be More Elite!! (there's probably a dad on the Alabama team complaining that they aren't competing against the best California programs)

Instead of shaming 14s whose coaching staff chose to participate in a local tournament for any number of reasons, how about this concept instead- no matter the level of talent or skill you encounter at this tournament, try to challenge yourself to play to your potential and make your team better than it was on Friday.

Sure, its not "rip their throat out" but its an approach that elite athletes at all levels successfully implement.
hop2it

by Playmaker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 am

Hop2it - love the moniker, for what it's worth. This discussion is a tad bit different, I think. I would be encouraged to see these area teams go complete in Illinois and Indy against some elite programs. I never said they had to win. What I would rather them do is consolidate 6-8 of these mediocre "B" level programs, and try to put together a program to compete with Indy and Illinois. Instead, they are happy being the South Bend Sallys and swimming in the "B" pool.

If you notice the tone or direction of this discussion, no one is answering what we should do with our elite players. There are no solutions being offered. But rather scolding me to lay off these players and teams because they don't even want to play college softball.

Sorry for bringing up the 800lb Gorilla in the room. It's alive and well, and living in Northern Indiana! YES! That could be the name of next God-awful B team that Daddy wants ........ oh forget it.
Playmaker

by Iconic Wisdom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:00 am

Oh Playmaker...even after your constant barrage and needless insults I can still tell this about you..... You are BAR NONE a true IN SOFTBALL FAN ...even if you are a crazy NUT ;) ;) :o ;) ;)
Iconic Wisdom

by Playmaker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:21 am

IronicWisdom - OK!!! Did you have fun with that? Can you glove some letters to the screen for us next time for us?

Way to add a solid reply to the subject matter!

Do you have any solutions for us?
Playmaker

by Iconic Wisdom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm still confused as to who this "us" is playmaker.... You seem to be the only one here who has an issue with this.... You think the only solution to the Daddy Ball problems here in Northern Indiana is to up and run to Illinois and I disagree with that... Though we may not have any "elite" teams here I definitely believe we have some good/great organizations here with good intentions and do the girls justice... I mean I know you have avoided this question twice now in this thread but how did packing up and moving to Illinois work for the Raiders?? All but 2 came back to Indiana teams.... maybe the grass wasn't greener on the other side?

The thing is Playmaker I actually agree with you on a lot of what you say.... I definitely think teams are watered down here..I think we have to many "daddy teams" and I also think we should consolidate a few teams and make a couple of "elite" showcase teams...but I refuse to belittle and demean people because this wasn't the route they chose. If it worked for you then great....but I will not accept that going to Illinois or Indy is the only answer here.
Iconic Wisdom

by Amish_TB » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Playmaker wrote:Hop2it - love the moniker, for what it's worth. This discussion is a tad bit different, I think. I would be encouraged to see these area teams go complete in Illinois and Indy against some elite programs. I never said they had to win. What I would rather them do is consolidate 6-8 of these mediocre "B" level programs, and try to put together a program to compete with Indy and Illinois. Instead, they are happy being the South Bend Sallys and swimming in the "B" pool.

I hate talking about the program I am associated with because that isn't the point, but the team my DD plays (YES - I do coach) on will be going to Indy two times (USA Preps and Top 50 Showcase), going to Orland Park (Illinois) and to St. Louis Exposure this fall. So I guess I don't quite understand. I know of several other Northern Indiana teams doing something similar.

I also believe we NEED the South Bend Sallys and the "B" Pool as well. I think it does no good for the sport to diminish what they do or accomplish. The Blueberry Festival is a great/fun tournament. You may think it does no good. I disagree. I don't think every event a team does has to be college exposure based to be worthwhile. I know of a couple of players in Northern Indiana who play on high end Travel Teams with a National Level mindset and if asked and had a free weekend to play would go to the Blueberry Festival and play. Why? Because they are softball players, love the environment and are not a Travel Team Snob. I respect those players and their parents. They really get it....

Bill - HEAT Elite 99
Amish_TB

by Playmaker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

IronicWisdom - If you really think I am the only one with an issue with the softball landscape in Northern Indiana, then you don't pay attention to rosters in Indy or Illinois. You should see I65 and I94 on days when Illinois and Indy teams have softball practice. Bat bags leaving Northern Indiana by the SUV full.

I've said this before, I don't have an issue that we have B teams. My issue is that ALL we have. We don't have a Gators, Xtreme, Dreams, Sparks, etc. Be teams have their place and purpose. But for Pete's sake, do we have to have a million of them, and that's it?

As far as your Raiders/Outlaws example goes, if you say there are only two girls left there I believe you. But it tells me as much about the two who are still there, then the ones who came back. Who do the ones who came back play for now? I bet the ones who are still there have goals of playing college softball.

Bill - Don't be afraid to speak about your organization if you're proud of it. Someone told me that your team is now a combination of two or more teams beginning this year. If that's the case, then congratulations!

Maybe you are leading the consolidation process?
Playmaker

by Playmaker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:53 pm

One more thing for IronicWisdom with his itching desire for me to comment on the Raider/Outlaw example.

I think you can call what happened "the cream rising to the top". You probably have the two best players left on that team.

By the way, in doing some research on that particular Illinois team you keep bring up. I laughed when I found out all by one of the players on that team live in Indiana.

Thank you for proving my point!
Playmaker

by TravelINDad99 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:03 pm

:lol: You the man Playmaker. I agree with many points you share. I think a couple of folks out there are trying to do it right like Baker and the Sox, Lisa and the Phoenix and now Bill and his Heat.

I am one of those dads that took my DD across the border and I will say in my opinion the "grass is greener over there". My DD's biggest fallback was the all important mental part of the game and those that know us would agree I am sure. She has found the complete game over here by coaches that have a proven track record.

Her team will play in 3 exposures this Fall (Bill it looks like we will see you in OP and St Louis) , 2 PGF's and 1 ASA/USA qualifier. Then focus on getting the girls ready for High School ball.

Well worth the extra gas and time it takes getting over to Illinois.
A leader is not someone who will do good and look down at others; a leader is someone who will do good and help others who can't.
TravelINDad99

by Target5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Playmaker wrote:IronicWisdom - If you really think I am the only one with an issue with the softball landscape in Northern Indiana, then you don't pay attention to rosters in Indy or Illinois. You should see I65 and I94 on days when Illinois and Indy teams have softball practice. Bat bags leaving Northern Indiana by the SUV full.

I've said this before, I don't have an issue that we have B teams. My issue is that ALL we have. We don't have a Gators, Xtreme, Dreams, Sparks, etc. Be teams have their place and purpose. But for Pete's sake, do we have to have a million of them, and that's it?

As far as your Raiders/Outlaws example goes, if you say there are only two girls left there I believe you. But it tells me as much about the two who are still there, then the ones who came back. Who do the ones who came back play for now? I bet the ones who are still there have goals of playing college softball.

Bill - Don't be afraid to speak about your organization if you're proud of it. Someone told me that your team is now a combination of two or more teams beginning this year. If that's the case, then congratulations!

Maybe you are leading the consolidation process?

But the Outlaws played in the Blueberry Festival last year which as you say tells everyone that they are a lame B team, so those 2 college serious girls better wake up to that. You are really failing to convince me and probably anyone else that you don't have an axe to grind when you can apply the B-ball Daddyball standard of Blueberry participation to one but not another.
Target5

PreviousNext

Return to IN