Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

Softball Dad vs Tournament Worker

by FPDad00 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:08 pm

The Other Side - Softball Dad vs. Tournament Worker
Why is it gate workers and other workers seem to be so rude at tournaments? I have encountered this at many venues and I have some insight. Our team was off this weekend and our family worked the gate at a local tournament. Let me provide you some insight into attitude.

1. The gate worker did not set the prices and can not change the prices so quit your whining and complaining. If you do not want to pay the amount given, go home. Simple as that.

2. When it says no outside food but one team cooler is allowed that is what it means. It is very funny how every parent that walks in the gate says they are responsible for bringing in the team cooler. Obviously when the 2nd through 9th team cooler hits the gate someone is lying but you are mad at the gate worker who is trying to keep the rules they were asked to enforce.

3. People are major slobs. Our team is made to clean up our area at the completion of each game. I had to walk around the park a few times picking up water bottles and other trash that PARENTS left on bleachers or the ground where they were sitting during the game. We won't even discuss the state they leave the restrooms in.

4. We were amazed at the amount of people who will try to walk through and bypass paying, then either act stupid or get irate when you stop them.

5. Coaches, you are not special because you are a coach. Are you doing this for the girls or for you?

6. Back to the gate. I don't know how many people "forgot" their weekend wristband was on the other keys, other purse, other hat so they did not have one with them but they did purchase it at the start of the tournament. You wonder why kids are so irresponsible. Look no farther than their parents who can't remember to return with their wristband. It is either that or they have just taught their daughter that it is OK to lie and cheat. Either way, they have taught them wrong.

If you run an organization or you are a coach in an organization you should be appalled at the way your organization is being portrayed. An organization is not just the record of the team but the reputation is the person at the top, the coaches, the players. and yes. the parents.

Next time you think a tournament worker is rude, imagine all the crap they have had to deal with prior to you showing up at the gate. We will.
FPDad00

by artomatic » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Weak...
Sounds like you are trying to rationalize away your rudeness.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FPDad00 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Hate to tell you this Artomatic but with all due respect, i was not rude to anyone. I simply explained that I had no authority to change anything they were complaining about and directed them to the tournament director. But, my post was merely to point out to people that I now have an understanding about why some of the workers seem to be hating life when you encounter them. My whole point was cut them some slack and direct your complaints to the proper authority, the tournament director who is the only person that can change the rules or accommodate the complaint.

I did not even go into all the problems that were witnessed but not addressed such as people walking down the fence line and handing coolers over the fences and passing wrist bands through the fence. When this happens the facilities lose money and eventually will not be able to afford to host a tournament or will refuse to. Then where are the girls going to play?

Sorry you think it is weak.
FPDad00

by slapperdad » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:25 pm

I get it, and I don't begrudge someone making a buck. But at the same time, exorbitant gate fees, and forcing people to pay 3 bucks for a bottle of water, breeds the kind of actions you saw. And we both know that there are facilities out there where it's purely a numbers game and the facilities are crap.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by artomatic » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:04 am

FPDad00 wrote:Hate to tell you this Artomatic but with all due respect, i was not rude to anyone. I simply explained that I had no authority to change anything they were complaining about and directed them to the tournament director. But, my post was merely to point out to people that I now have an understanding about why some of the workers seem to be hating life when you encounter them. My whole point was cut them some slack and direct your complaints to the proper authority, the tournament director who is the only person that can change the rules or accommodate the complaint.

I did not even go into all the problems that were witnessed but not addressed such as people walking down the fence line and handing coolers over the fences and passing wrist bands through the fence. When this happens the facilities lose money and eventually will not be able to afford to host a tournament or will refuse to. Then where are the girls going to play?

Sorry you think it is weak.

Fair enough, my apologies and I appreciate your response.
I also agree w/slapperdad that alot of badly run tournaments can cause resentment, and unfortunately that resentment is taken out on the next person.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kidcanhit02 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 am

Agree with all sides on this one. People working gates/concessions are typically volunteers and not the person deserving of retalitation regarding park policies and prices. Pay the fee and if you don't like it talk to your coach and have them bring it up with the director.

HOWEVER, travel softball is expensive enough. The people running parks and tournaments know this. $10+ dollars per person for a weekend of softball is mind boggling to me. I realize I do not understand the costs associated with having a tournament however we are all strapped enough paying player fees, private instruction and for whatever equipment breaks during the season. Take it easy on us travel parents, please!!!!!

No matter what the fee, many of us softball parents are addicts. We are going to watch our kids play regardless of the gate fee so we can get our fix. Sure, we might have to start selling blood or organs to pay to watch our kid: but darn it we WILL be watching our kid!
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:02 am

Kidcanhit02 wrote:Agree with all sides on this one. People working gates/concessions are typically volunteers and not the person deserving of retalitation regarding park policies and prices.

Agree 100%, talk to someone who can do something about it. However, I know me, I've seen me in action, I'm sure I'm not above a smartass comment to the poor schmuck charging me an exorbitant price for entry/water/Gatorade/whatever. Fortunately I'm so good at my craft, many times the poor schmuck doesn't even know I'm bitching.

HOWEVER, travel softball is expensive enough.

Youth sports period, forget about the gate fees, look at all the money spent on matching uniforms, bat bags, helmets, catcher's gear in team colors, T-shirts, sweatshirts, all the bedazzled crap that mom wears, it goes on and on. In typical good old capitalist fashion, where someone is willing to part with some of their hard earned cash, there will be someone there to take it off their hands.

The people running parks and tournaments know this. $10+ dollars per person for a weekend of softball is mind boggling to me. I realize I do not understand the costs associated with having a tournament

At least you are willing to admit it. I don't have any idea either, but being a business owner, I think I have a pretty good idea in the cost associated. Keep in mind it is a business, and the reason any business is operating is to make money. I'll be honest I've looked at putting up a building with BB/VB courts in it, I've put paper to pencil, I cannot make the numbers work in my locale with a new building. Now, in a metro area, buying an undervalued property, that's a different story.

however we are all strapped enough paying player fees, private instruction and for whatever equipment breaks during the season. Take it easy on us travel parents, please!!!!!

See my answer above. OK, let me get this straight, you're willing to spend literally thousands on player fees, private instruction, equipment, etc., but you can't understand a 10 gate fee? Or you've already spent thousands on all that stuff and don't have a problem with those folks making money, but you don't want the facilities to make money? Orrr possibly a third option, you've already spent thousands on all that stuff, so the last guy should take it easy on you, when the rest of them didn't? As I said earlier, I don't begrudge people making a buck, what I do have a problem with is taking advantage of a captive audience.

No matter what the fee, many of us softball parents are addicts. We are going to watch our kids play regardless of the gate fee so we can get our fix. Sure, we might have to start selling blood or organs to pay to watch our kid: but darn it we WILL be watching our kid!

Congrats, you get it, whatever it takes, be there to support your kid!

1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by Kidcanhit02 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:20 am

"OK, let me get this straight, you're willing to spend literally thousands on player fees, private instruction, equipment, etc., but you can't understand a 10 gate fee? Or you've already spent thousands on all that stuff and don't have a problem with those folks making money, but you don't want the facilities to make money? Orrr possibly a third option, you've already spent thousands on all that stuff, so the last guy should take it easy on you, when the rest of them didn't? As I said earlier, I don't begrudge people making a buck, what I do have a problem with is taking advantage of a captive audience."

I begrudge no one. People making money on this sport is a very important way for the sport to thrive. Seriously the $10 over 20-25 tournaments a year is a drop in the bucket compared to all of the things I spend money on related to softball. I was certainly claiming the third option. "Help me, Mr. Tournament director, you are my only hope. Please let me in for free."

I myself am less able to disguise my sarcasm so I have become more of the "Here's my $20, just give me whatever my change is" guy. Fighting it is a pretty futile effort. I also never give the person at the gate a hard time as they don't set the price. Well, except for FPDAD00 because he deserved it!!!
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:47 am

And I thought I was done paying gate fees...my wife and I roll up to the gate at my kid's first college tournament in February.
BAM, $30 each for weekend passes. Oh fate, how you mock me!
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 am

We got a deal, only 25 for us!
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

Next