Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

o

by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:18 am

C77fastpitch wrote:
Hitting is next!

Let me guess......."Hitting coaches are thieving liars who make bogus claims about their results." There, I saved you the effort. You're welcome.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballalum » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:52 am

May not get to 65. But can get over 60 with dedication and hard work. No doubt if that player wants to "truly" get over 60 needs work on their craft at least 2 times a week, supported with quality lessons. Also need an added agility/strength program 2xs a week. Most pitchers go to lessons 1X a week and cease lessons during the HS season. Too many "part timers" who think they are full time committed. Pretty simple recipe really.
softballalum

by slapperdad » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:41 am

I can go to speed and agility training all I want, a 4.5 40 ain't happening for me.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by softballalum » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am

Over the years... I have yet to see a travel coach, hitting instructor, or pitching instructor "get rich" as you say. Respectfully, perhaps from your standard of living, but from what I have seen and my view... what few bucks any of them has been well deserved. I especially place HS Coaches in this category as the common softbalI parent does not realize there is a shortage of these talents and their shelf life is generally only 3 seasons. Longer than that and the HS is getting a gift, By the way, I can't find anything more monotonous than giving pitching and hitting lessons. Parents set up appointments, don't show, forget money, I have seen it all. Whatever they get is well deserved and not enough. While I might not agree with some of their philosophies and can choose alternative instruction, I don't object to any of them. From a hitting standpoint, a good hitting instructor will offer live pitching and can change the rotation of the ball, hit corners and throw different types of pitches. Its not, as you eluded too "what more can they say" but reinforcement of the mechanics. If a player does not get hitting / pitching instruction one time a week, bad habits can sneak into their swing or pitching. For hitters, they stop seeing the ball. A good instructor during a travel or HS season will ask, what pitches do you need to improve recognizing or how were your pitches working for you? A good hitting or pitching coach is very progressive. Certainly with pitching there is a progression of mastery of pitches or a hitter that could use repetition of seeing certain spins of pitches that they "may not be seeing well" or adjusting too.

First things first, each player should decide what their own personal goals as they relate to softball. Some aspire to only play HS softball, some aspire to make varsity their freshmen year, some aspire to be All State, some have further goals after HS. Once those have been decided, they in turn can build the right development program. By the way, taking pitching lessons 2Xs a week and agility training will get them to 60 in several years. So if this is a goal... start before 18U. By the way, I am not a travel coach nor instructor. I am guessing those that agree with me are already implementing what I suggested. The others, well ... will continue what they are doing and at the end of the day will have to decide if its been enough. Perhaps for their own goals... it was.
softballalum

by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 am

softballalum wrote:Over the years... I have yet to see a travel coach, hitting instructor, or pitching instructor "get rich" as you say. Respectfully, perhaps from your standard of living, but from what I have seen and my view... what few bucks any of them has been well deserved. I especially place HS Coaches in this category as the common softbalI parent does not realize there is a shortage of these talents and their shelf life is generally only 3 seasons. Longer than that and the HS is getting a gift, By the way, I can't find anything more monotonous than giving pitching and hitting lessons. Parents set up appointments, don't show, forget money, I have seen it all. Whatever they get is well deserved and not enough. While I might not agree with some of their philosophies and can choose alternative instruction, I don't object to any of them. From a hitting standpoint, a good hitting instructor will offer live pitching and can change the rotation of the ball, hit corners and throw different types of pitches. Its not, as you eluded too "what more can they say" but reinforcement of the mechanics. If a player does not get hitting / pitching instruction one time a week, bad habits can sneak into their swing or pitching. For hitters, they stop seeing the ball. A good instructor during a travel or HS season will ask, what pitches do you need to improve recognizing or how were your pitches working for you? A good hitting or pitching coach is very progressive. Certainly with pitching there is a progression of mastery of pitches or a hitter that could use repetition of seeing certain spins of pitches that they "may not be seeing well" or adjusting too.

First things first, each player should decide what their own personal goals as they relate to softball. Some aspire to only play HS softball, some aspire to make varsity their freshmen year, some aspire to be All State, some have further goals after HS. Once those have been decided, they in turn can build the right development program. By the way, taking pitching lessons 2Xs a week and agility training will get them to 60 in several years. So if this is a goal... start before 18U. By the way, I am not a travel coach nor instructor. I am guessing those that agree with me are already implementing what I suggested. The others, well ... will continue what they are doing and at the end of the day will have to decide if its been enough. Perhaps for their own goals... it was.

Nicely done.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:06 am

C77fastpitch wrote:A lot of private pitching and hitting coaches make a lot more money than you think. Good coaches do a service for those they instruct, however there too many that are scam artist, telling student they can do things for them they are nor capable of doing, or collecting money for lessons that are bogus at best. Many of these coaches promise scholarships, and arrange clinics that are over priced and teach very little. Your post will be well received by the union of bad and over promising coaches, but who speaks up for the unknowing parents, and players! There are good private coaching, selflessly spending time to help others, and only making a reasonable amount of money for there work. But, like everything else the profiteers have entered the fray, these under trained and under qualified coaches are making a bundle at the expense of their students, promising too much, and delivering very little.

My experience has been that these scam artists as you describe them, have a pretty short shelf life. If you feel that strongly about it, name names. Quit dancing around it like its some industry wide epidemic.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

Return to IN