Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Intentionally walking a kid in a Showcase Event

by justawatcher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 am

YplayAwhenucanplayB wrote:Last weekend I witnessed a team intentionally walk a kid to win a ball game in a showcase event. It was a one run game with the trailing team up to bat with a runner on second base. The ump calls out “last batter”, then the defensive team throws 4 balls to walk the batter to the end the game. Not one ball was close enough for the hitter to make contact. I heard the defensive coach claim it was his catcher’s call, but how cowardly is it to put the blame on his catcher. Isn’t he the manager? Anyhow, this isn’t about that team. I’ve seen other teams do this. Is winning a showcase that more important than allowing a kid an opportunity to hit in a last at bat situation in front of a college coach or two? Even give your pitcher a chance to show she can win that battle?

Most parents this week can't say multiple coaches watched their DD over the weekend. Feel fortunate.
justawatcher

by MavFan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 am

I agree it sucks that your kid got walked rather than given the opportunity to hit, but I ask you this, you appear to be claiming it is just a showcase and that winning doesn't matter so just pitch to every batter. but would you be on here gloating if your kid had hit a homerun on that last AB? The coach had the pitcher do what they did to win the game. Do I agree? No but I don't agree with switching catchers, unlacing shoes, and stupid timeouts when the clock is running down. But dems da rules and you play or don't play.

BTW, I don't think the pitcher was marked off any college list. Most people know that it was the coach's decision to not pitch to the batter not the pitchers. Its the ego of the coach that wanted to win the game. The ego of the player would have been to win the at bat and strike the kid out or hit the homerun.
MavFan

by Phantomz08 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 am

heretostay wrote:Phantom I mean maryann summers ( same person) what do you know mr I like starting crap and talking to myself on the haybucket

Whatever dude or dudette, are you sure your not Brito Furrito? ;)
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slaphitter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

YplayAwhenucanplayB wrote:Last weekend I witnessed a team intentionally walk a kid to win a ball game in a showcase event. It was a one run game with the trailing team up to bat with a runner on second base. The ump calls out “last batter”, then the defensive team throws 4 balls to walk the batter to the end the game. Not one ball was close enough for the hitter to make contact. I heard the defensive coach claim it was his catcher’s call, but how cowardly is it to put the blame on his catcher. Isn’t he the manager? Anyhow, this isn’t about that team. I’ve seen other teams do this. Is winning a showcase that more important than allowing a kid an opportunity to hit in a last at bat situation in front of a college coach or two? Even give your pitcher a chance to show she can win that battle?

what if it was the national title game and a girl who has hit 20 homers for the year with a 560 avg, is at the plate. Last inning, you are up by 1 with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. It is a no brainer you walk her.

As a coach and as players, you play to win, within the rules of the sport.
If you can't do that then go home and watch tv.
slaphitter

by frito_burrito » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 pm

slaphitter wrote:in dizney world at de usssssssa nationels me dd be striken out eberyone. cuz me dd es de bes peetcher in de world

stfu chu estupido 12u puto
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slaphitter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
slaphitter wrote:what if it was the national title game and a girl who has hit 20 homers for the year with a 560 avg, is at the plate. Last inning, you are up by 1 with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. It is a no brainer you walk her.

Again, totally different scenario than what was posted. It was a showcase, not nationals.
If as a coach you are more concerned with winning a showcase game than having your pitcher show her stuff, or even having another player, that launches a bomb in that situation, benefit then I guess we just have different philosophies.

The examble I gave (which you didn' appear to get) was you teach the team to win a ball game whether it is a show case event or a national game. American sports are getting into its all right to finish 2nd mode.

I would be alot more interested in how the pitcher performed the other 3, 4 or 5 inning and how the hitter performed the other inning than I would that 1 at bat. Consistancy. That is what gets the scouts looking and what gets the girls scholarships. You have been around long enough that you should know that.
slaphitter

by mmdavd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm

I was at Craig Ranch last weekend when the Glory was playing Blaze and this situation happened during this game. I dont know if this is the game you are referring to, if it is I wanted to clarify 3 discrepencies in your post:

1. The game could not have been won by the Blaze because there was only 1 runner on base so even if the player would have hit a HR the best outcome would have been a tie.

2. I sat through the entire game and there wasnt a single college coach watching this game so you could take the proverbial stance: "If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?"

3. If you recall, when the umpire called last batter, the catcher called time and walked out to the pitcher. There was NO communication between the coaching staff and the pitcher or catcher. This was a heads up move by a young lady who takes winning seriously. I will leave it up to you to decide if this is right or wrong.

I do agree not giving the batter a chance to hit could be considered "bush league" but before I get too wrapped up about whether this was right or wrong, remember it was a player and not a coach who made this decision.

The side of the story that doesnt seem to be getting overlooked is the fact that the 3rd base coach came "unglued" at the end of the game and began yelling and calling names.
mmdavd

by DonnieS » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:40 pm

slaphitter wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
slaphitter wrote:what if it was the national title game and a girl who has hit 20 homers for the year with a 560 avg, is at the plate. Last inning, you are up by 1 with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. It is a no brainer you walk her.

Again, totally different scenario than what was posted. It was a showcase, not nationals.
If as a coach you are more concerned with winning a showcase game than having your pitcher show her stuff, or even having another player, that launches a bomb in that situation, benefit then I guess we just have different philosophies.

The examble I gave (which you didn' appear to get) was you teach the team to win a ball game whether it is a show case event or a national game. American sports are getting into its all right to finish 2nd mode.

I would be alot more interested in how the pitcher performed the other 3, 4 or 5 inning and how the hitter performed the other inning than I would that 1 at bat. Consistancy. That is what gets the scouts looking and what gets the girls scholarships. You have been around long enough that you should know that.

I agree with spazsdad, a bunch of people dont understand the concept of "showcase" - even if there is no one there - specially if there is no one there - go at this kid and try to get her out. Spazsdad's kid and mine are going to be pitching D1 very shortly - and I promise you, there is no way in heck my kid would intentionally walk someone in this situation because she wants to compete - she wants to pitch against the best. And some of the kids she has pitched against are playing at some very good schools. I think spazsdad and I know what 'gets scouts looking and what gets the girls scholarships' - since our daughters, his one and my two have been there and are doing that. Let me clue you in on a very big question that gets asked in questionaires that the big schools ask the recruits to fill out - "Who are the best players you have pitched against (or competed against) or Batted against" . No one where does it say "Who is the best hitter that you faced that you intentionally walked because you obviously know you arent good enough to pitch against ?"
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:35 am

DonnieS wrote:
slaphitter wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:

I agree with spazsdad, a bunch of people dont understand the concept of "showcase" - even if there is no one there - specially if there is no one there - go at this kid and try to get her out. Spazsdad's kid and mine are going to be pitching D1 very shortly - and I promise you, there is no way in heck my kid would intentionally walk someone in this situation because she wants to compete - she wants to pitch against the best. And some of the kids she has pitched against are playing at some very good schools. I think spazsdad and I know what 'gets scouts looking and what gets the girls scholarships' - since our daughters, his one and my two have been there and are doing that. Let me clue you in on a very big question that gets asked in questionaires that the big schools ask the recruits to fill out - "Who are the best players you have pitched against (or competed against) or Batted against" . No one where does it say "Who is the best hitter that you faced that you intentionally walked because you obviously know you arent good enough to pitch against ?"

That is it in nutshell- It's a SHOWCASE- Scouts are there to see players play(not coaches coach)
jonriv

by frito_burrito » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:57 am

yo es mucho confuso. dis was de colege esposure. who es de scouts chu speaks of. de was seberal colege coaches de was watchin perspective colege softball playas. es de scouts from de pro teams
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to TX