Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Texas High School 5A Softball

by DP3816 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 am

Tryouts are a must! Otherwise the school district would be sued for not allowing some poor kid who can't throw or catch an opportunity to play ball. So they come out, throw a ball, catch a ball, swing a bat and then go home. But, I'm sure that in the history of the world a gem has been discovered at tryouts so you never know.
DP3816

by sward » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm

I think tryouts are for the coach to justify not having 40+ kids on the team(s) and a way to push them back to gym class and firm up the JV roster of who can chalk the lines and clean the stands.

Scott
sward

by lefty04 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

DP3816 wrote:Tryouts are a must! Otherwise the school district would be sued for not allowing some poor kid who can't throw or catch an opportunity to play ball. So they come out, throw a ball, catch a ball, swing a bat and then go home. But, I'm sure that in the history of the world a gem has been discovered at tryouts so you never know.

I have to agree with Dp3816's theory. Tryouts may not really be necessary but must be done to satisfy any and all that want to play ball. And yes there have probably been a few that did not play travel ball and were discovered to have some real talent thru the tryout system

95% of these kids are probably from travel ball, so there are really no real surprizes. If the high school coaches have done their research they know well before tryouts what they are getting and which team they will be on. Plus if you have Kids that are D1 recruits that is a real no brainer on where they will be.

I am hoping for an exciting season, among all the teams competing. Nothing like the spirit and excitment that comes from High School Ball.
lefty04

by texasugly1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm

lefty04 wrote:
DP3816 wrote:Tryouts are a must! Otherwise the school district would be sued for not allowing some poor kid who can't throw or catch an opportunity to play ball. So they come out, throw a ball, catch a ball, swing a bat and then go home. But, I'm sure that in the history of the world a gem has been discovered at tryouts so you never know.

I have to agree with Dp3816's theory. Tryouts may not really be necessary but must be done to satisfy any and all that want to play ball. And yes there have probably been a few that did not play travel ball and were discovered to have some real talent thru the tryout system

95% of these kids are probably from travel ball, so there are really no real surprizes. If the high school coaches have done their research they know well before tryouts what they are getting and which team they will be on. Plus if you have Kids that are D1 recruits that is a real no brainer on where they will be.

I am hoping for an exciting season, among all the teams competing. Nothing like the spirit and excitment that comes from High School Ball.

The only diamond in the rough that is found thru the tryout system is a kid that can be a courtesy runner for the pitcher/catcher that is fast as hell. There is not one player that has never played that could come in and field a position or even in fact hit a 60+ MPH fast ball or something with any movement.. just sayin
texasugly1

by just4fun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 pm

bigbaddude wrote:
slaphitter wrote:It will be interesting to watch how Pearland and Deer Park coaches handle the teams with that many D1 recruits.

I am sure Deer Park's coach will do just fine but i heard that Pealand's coaches hardly ever have anything positive to say to them. Is that true?

Interesting, with all that talent, how could you not have positive things to say?
just4fun

by txfastptchcoach » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 am

lefty04 wrote:Start of the High School Softball Season is getting closer.
From what I understand Deer Park Had tryouts Friday and Saturday. Do not know how things turned out.
Txfastptchcoach might have some insight on it.

What about the other schools anybody heard anything on tryouts and start of workouts for the girls.

Sorry nothing to update!!! My DD played Volleyball in San Antionio this past weekend. I'm pretty sure the obvious selections were taken. I will find out tomorrow when my Highschool girls come to hitting lessons. Just depends on how many she is going to carry on Varsity. Hopefully nowhere near how many Pearland will carry. Rumor has it around 20 from the get go. Crazy!!!!! :o
txfastptchcoach

by 93players » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 am

I have never understood why SB coaches do not talk to the track coaches and get a couple of really fast runners to come try out for the softball team. They would not need to come to practice if they are in a track class. And, they would immensely help any team. Is there a rule against this? I know in college those runners who do not play tend to quit -- Alabama had a Texas player who stole many bases a few years ago. They did try to covert her into position player in the outfield, but it did not work. Give me 20 stolen bases and 1 pickoff any day.
93players

by txfastptchcoach » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am

just4fun wrote:
bigbaddude wrote:
slaphitter wrote:It will be interesting to watch how Pearland and Deer Park coaches handle the teams with that many D1 recruits.

I am sure Deer Park's coach will do just fine but i heard that Pealand's coaches hardly ever have anything positive to say to them. Is that true?

Interesting, with all that talent, how could you not have positive things to say?

I swear I'm going to buy the coaches from Pearland a BIG Block of cheese to go with all the Whining they do about EVERY call they don't get, being strike zone or other. I even think there parents think it is ridiculous. The assistant is worse than head coach. Heard a rumor that Pearland had a move in and if its true they got better behind the plate and another power stick in the lineup.
txfastptchcoach

by justawatcher » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

txfastptchcoach wrote:Heard a rumor that Pearland had a move in and if its true they got better behind the plate and another power stick in the lineup.

True
justawatcher

by frito_burrito » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 pm

txfastptchcoach wrote:Heard a rumor that Pearland had a move in and if its true they got better behind the plate and another power stick in the lineup.

chu es talkin bout de one frum klein then chu es correctomundo.
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to TX