Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Mizuno Impulse 16U -- 3rd Place Finish at PGF -- Congrats!!!

by Texun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Huge congrats to the Mizuno Impulse 16U for their 3rd Place finish at the PGF National Tournament in Huntington Beach, CA!!! This was another huge step forward for softball in the State of Texas. Great job representing North Texas, the State of Texas, and PGF Softball with your style of play, athleticism and sportsmanship. Great job Coach Gwyn, Lozoya, Jackson & Hoagland! :D :D :D
Texun

by FTG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

Great Job!!!!

Too bad all the glory teams that went there didn't represent us very well.
FTG

by rodehardputawaywet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

It's nice to see that Impulse finally had a good showing at an event. The bracket was very lopsided. OC Batbusters and Corona Angels played in the 1st game!
rodehardputawaywet

by Texun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 am

I wouldn't say that Glory didn't represent us (N Tex & Tex) at all. Remember that they finished 2nd last year at 16U. Glory (both Shelton & Atkins) are a vital part of the Texas softball landscape. The fact that they didn't make it far in a blind draw bracket doesn't mean that they are all of the sudden insignificant.

In my opinion the best way to judge a team or organization is through the eyes of the NCAA coaches--look to see where players from specific teams are being offered scholarships--look at the quality of program offering.

Glory has a very long history of supplying Big 12 teams and an occasional SEC commit. Mizuno is a very young organization with some very talented players just getting to the commit stage. By the looks of their 16U team they already have 3 Big 12 & 1 SEC commit and all are going to high quality programs coached by proven winners.

The point of the thread was just to congratulate Mizuno and not to bring anyone else down. We are blessed with a great deal of talent in Texas and its great to see what's coming down the pike. We should all be proud of anyone who succeeds on a national stage as it might one day translate to a Texas NCAA program winning a national title one day.

Mizuno, Glory, everyone else...keep working hard. SoCal knows you are coming for them--keep up the great work!

As far as the draw for the 16U goes--Mizuno played two very tough--and predicted top 5 contenders right out of the chute. Too bad for OC and Corona matching up so early but the 64 team field was very deep with talent. If you were there you most certainly took note.
Texun

by TexasYellowBall » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 pm

rodehardputawaywet wrote:It's nice to see that Impulse finally had a good showing at an event. The bracket was very lopsided. OC Batbusters and Corona Angels played in the 1st game!

This statement is crazy.....Lopsided is not the correct answer. Stacked would be more like it.
TexasYellowBall

by Texun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Does stacked imply "rigged"? If so, what evidence do you have. The brackets were constructed via a blind draw under the supervision of PGF officials. You need to be more clear in your meaning.

As in all blind bracket selections (without seeding) you are at risk of having the best teams play each other often. But in the case of this years 16U PGF the two best teams, CA Team Mizuno and Corona Angels Knighten played in the finals...as it should have been.

Seeding based on pool play may be the best option, but given the recency of this tournament championship I don't think there is any other way at this point to formulate brackets.

Overall the PGF product is very, very good. Just ask any NCAA coach out there...I personally saw the nations elite out at the semifinal game between CA Team Mizuno & Mizuno Impulse. Mike Candrea, Patty Gasso, Lisa Fernandez, Mike White, Jo Evans and Tim Walton to name a few on hand.
Texun

by rodehardputawaywet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm

It was definitely not rigged! Why would OC Batbusters fix a tournament not in their advantage. However, they should use the pool games to seed the tournament.

Can you please identify the teams Impulse beat in bracket play?

Congrats to the players for performing at a high level during this critical time!
rodehardputawaywet

by Texun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 pm

I agree with you RHAPUW a pool play seeding format would be more appropriate for a national championship. But then the question would surface on how do you construct the pools? As PGF moves forward I would imagine that the database on most teams/organizations would grow to a point where fairly equally talented pools could be constructed (i.e. each pool having an A, B, C & D team).

As far as the Mizuno Impulse bracket play opponents...the bracket is up on the PGF website. From my perspective, their first two wins vs CA Cruisers and TN Fury were very good opponents historically. Looking further down the bracket they just didn't have the horses to compete with CA Team Mizuno who beat them twice. But besides Corona Angles Knighten, who has been able to keep up with Mike Stith and his team? The Mizuno Impulse did very well for a team of young Texas talent. Looking at their roster they are a mix of 2014 and 2015's with an occasional 2016. Pretty young group to be taking 3rd at any national tournament in my opinion. Hats off.

Hope the PGF continues to grow in size and scope. It is a very good product and I don't think anyone can complain about the weather!
Texun

by TexasYellowBall » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Texun wrote:Does stacked imply "rigged"? If so, what evidence do you have. The brackets were constructed via a blind draw under the supervision of PGF officials. You need to be more clear in your meaning.

As in all blind bracket selections (without seeding) you are at risk of having the best teams play each other often. But in the case of this years 16U PGF the two best teams, CA Team Mizuno and Corona Angels Knighten played in the finals...as it should have been.

Seeding based on pool play may be the best option, but given the recency of this tournament championship I don't think there is any other way at this point to formulate brackets.

Overall the PGF product is very, very good. Just ask any NCAA coach out there...I personally saw the nations elite out at the semifinal game between CA Team Mizuno & Mizuno Impulse. Mike Candrea, Patty Gasso, Lisa Fernandez, Mike White, Jo Evans and Tim Walton to name a few on hand.

Stacked = just about every team was legit, every team could be beat in any round

The draw was open for everyone to see, no rigging of the brackets at all.

The seeding through pool play had been argued and argued. I know if they were used for seeding alot of girls would never have seen the field. Top 9 play if pool games count.
TexasYellowBall

by Texun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 pm

All very good points TYB.
Texun

Next

Return to TX