Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

etiquette between coaches in fastpitch

by Sftball Junkie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 pm

BleacherFun wrote:You know Donnie, this, in my opinion, is what gives TB coaches a bad name. "don't let the door hit you in the ass"....are you serious? We are supposed to be doing what makes our DD happy and keep them moving forward in an ever changing recruiting process. If the kid on your team were happy, they would have stayed, and no one could steal them away if they did not want to go. Perhaps if the kid that left was getting playing time, batting time, etc, they would have stayed.

I have seen many players very happy where they were when Mom or Dad packed their bags and moved them. What ever happened to honoring your commitment??? I feel very strongly that if a player quits on a team mid season to go play for another team that kid should never be allowed back. There is a right and a wrong time to leave a team and mid season is not it.

Because free agency in Youth sports has gotten so bad Comp Soccer in our area has a rule on the table to be voted on that states, Once a player is signed to a roster if they choose to leave prior to the end of the season that player must sit for 3 months before they can placed on another teams roster.

If you had to sit 3 months before you could play again I think parents would really look in to the teams they are putting their kids on at tryouts.
Sftball Junkie

by txfastptchcoach » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 pm

My motto was if you felt like your kid was not getting what she needed as a ball player leave. If I was a parent I would. All a coach has to offer the kids and the parents is making these kids better ball players (mentally and physically) and people, PERIOD!!! I had several kids leave to ultimately come back when they found the grass was not greener on the other side. Coaches as well as parents have to make difficult decisions. Coaches have to make decisions for 10 to 15 kids while as parents they have to make decisions for one kid. I felt like I was VERY fair when I coached, there are plenty out there that probably think differently but ALL my decision were for the best of the TEAM at that time!!! Not everyone will see that and sometimes my decisions weren't the right ones in the outcome but I went with what me and my coaching staff thought was best for the whole at that time. I had a GREAT time while coaching girl’s softball and meet some great kids both on my team and others as well as some great parents on my team as well as others. I went and watched some boy’s baseball and the parents of girls would not put up with what these top organizations do. They chew these kids ass out on making mistakes during the game and after the parents have their check books out to cut them a check for their services. There is a time and place to discipline kids and not embarrass them. If a talk was needed to be had it was done away from everyone or at the following practice. No person needs to be embarrassed at anytime. Physical errors are going to be made it’s the mental errors that you have control over. Just be blessed to get with a good coaching staff that has good parents because they are far and few between. Enjoy the ride because before you know it will be over.
txfastptchcoach

by RlCldH2O » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:28 am

General observations, feel free to fill in the organization of your choice.

Why is it that every girl to leave The Organization for another was stolen away by some dastardly coach?

Why is it that every girl to come to The Organization from another did so for the 'great' opportunity and wonderful coaching?
RlCldH2O

by DonnieS » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:49 pm

BleacherFun wrote:
DonnieS wrote:BF, you might be missing my point. If someone wants to leave, go , really. I know people who get really mad and post crap about people switching teams, but if someone wants to go, why would you stand in their way. Just dont spend a lot of time dilly dallying, go. And the word 'stealing' also is funny. What do they do, handcuffs and cages.

The one guy who disgusted me would actually walk on the field to recruit my kids while I was talking to the other coaches - and like I said above, if someone was so stupid as to play for that low life - go - now. If any of his players played college ball, I dont remember anyone of them making it through the freshman spring. Hopefully the parents who believed his crap and have younger daughters have learned their lesson.

And with one exception, I welcomed back each girl that went to play for others after they wasted some time. My kid would say,'Dad, why are you letting them come back' The reason was that we were doing this for the girls, it wasnt the kids fault that she had stupid parents.

Oh..Okay, I see, and I understand. I think recruiting at the ball field is pretty low. The grass isn't always greener. You are pretty nice to take anyone back that left your team, and shows great character. It must have been hard to trust them after that, hoping that they didn't bolt before a big game, or qualifier.

I didnt take anyone back - but I did take the ones back that I knew belonged with my group. And you're right, it was hard to trust them, that was my daughter's point in her argument with me about letting them come back.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to TX