Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

etiquette between coaches in fastpitch

by TexasYellowBall » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:39 pm

At what point do we start busting the coaches that continue to lie, cheat, and steal to get players from other teams.

In my thinking ( I could be wrong), contacting players from another team during the middle of the season is wrong. Attempting to lure them away pre-qualifiers in the summer and in the middle of the fall season with false promises is un-ethical and dishonest.

I think during fall tryouts, all bets are off and people can contact players until rosters are posted.

What part of this do I have wrong.........Maybe I just do not have a clear grasp of etiquette. I just try to be ethical, honest and up front.
TexasYellowBall

by ceelo9 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Can't "steal" someone who wants to leave or is open to joining another team. Commitments to a team made by a player to be a part of a team for that season should be honored. Regardless of the situation, what does that teach your DD?

It sounds to me that you are possibly a coach who is losing players? Or a parent wondering why others are leaving? Developing players and hoping that they stay with you/team till they sign is the exception not the rule. And it shouldn't be frowned upon for wanting to make a better team or joining a better team. But when its all said and done, the grass is not always greener on the other side.
ceelo9

by Luther » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:28 pm

The truth of the matter is that most TB coaches are only loyal to their players if they are performing. Once they are not performing to their expectations then they get benched and are dropped in the line-up.

Likewise; once a coach stops performing to the expectation of the child and the parent then the coach and team gets benched in favor of another.

This is how the TB world works. Some coaches hide behind "lessons" when recruiting kids, others do it after a game and there are even some that only recruit during try-out season... to each their own.
Luther

by RlCldH2O » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Interesting topic and well timed as we enter the Chinese fire drill that is the fall season. I am sure there are all kinds of thoughts depending on which side of the fence this is coming from. Also if you’ve actually seen it or just think that it happened. Some of those girls that go missing weren’t so much recruited as it was Dad on the phone talking to other teams looking for a “Private” try out.

Another point is who says its false promises and who is giving them? The coach that comes a’callin or the one that has been promising more time on the field or in the circle “when you’re ready”.

Dig back till last season and you’ll see tons of post or at least pages of chatter about a Top team ,among others, holding a tryout that has 60+ trying out and the scuttle butt is they already have the 2 girls they want picked out from talks during the season.
I do agree this is a mess and a scramble as all these young athletes look for spots that fit what they want along with teams looking for players. Heck if you go to espn.com and look at College football you can see Alabama had 27 NCAA secondary rules violations last year, all of which were contacting recruits to early.
RlCldH2O

by 93players » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Here are a couple of random observations about etiquette.

I agree with Texas Yellowball, there are some coaches who have little respect for other organizations and coaches in the area. They don't care about competitive ball in their area -- they are ego driven people who think their organization is the best. The do in season recruiting, they call other players during gold qualifiers, they simply do not care.

When you are picking a club - make sure your reasons are justified by the facts. If you are picking a 16U team because the top gold team is so good, make sure the top gold team takes players from within the program. There are some gold programs who prefer to lure players even though they have equivalent talent on a second gold team or 16U. Dont expect to be promoted from within if the practice is not to promote from within.

Just because a program lists some D1 schools, dont assume those schools gave big scholarships to the players. Some players are preferred walkons. They are getting one quarter or less. Some get books.

Although coaches at this level do not have a lot of loyalty, they need to have some basic level of decency. If you are not going to play, they should be honest with the player. If you are 2 or 3 in terms of depth you should know. This lack of decency and playing favorites causes defections -- players signed and unsigned choose to leave. On one hand you should be on the best team where you will get the playing time, but it is hard to play for a lousy human being for any extended period of time even if you are getting playing time.
93players

by southside » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Can you say Impact Softball !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
southside

by TexasYellowBall » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 am

southside wrote:Can you say Impact Softball !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Texas Impact have 25 kids..... 9 play during the season, the rest just say they play from the impact.
TexasYellowBall

by br9467 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 am

LOL. It's not too hard. It just rolls off the tongue.
br9467

by Bleacher Creature » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 pm

You cant just single that one team out. I dont think it is the coaches doing the calling? It is parent to parent. Mom or Dads are friends from team to team and post season phone calls start. "Wish you were here with us here at ASA/ PGF. You know our Blank is graduating this year and Susie sure could help us out next year? " If you believe otherwise....... well bless your little heart!!!!!!

Top programs will attract top talent.

No my kid does not play for the previous mentioned team........ would like to think she has the same level of talent though. ;)
"If you aint first your last"
Bleacher Creature
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TexasYellowBall » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:15 pm

TexasYellowBall wrote:

Texas Impact have 25 kids..... 9 play during the season, the rest just say they play from the impact.

Would like to make it clear that my original post was not about the Texas Impact. I was just commenting on a post.

To me, Impact is normally good at this sort of thing. They usually dont pick kids up in the middle of the season. They have enough knocking on their door, not a huge need to go hunting.
TexasYellowBall

Next

Return to TX