Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

University of Texas - Arlington

by 93players » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm

I am not a big fan of dumping on a coach or boss with general rants that some players did not like the coach. How many players personally like Bill Bellichek or Nick Saban?

Clark is paid to compete in the Big 12 and nationally and although I disagree with many of her decisions, just because a couple of players transfer or don't like her management style, does not mean that players can't go there and have a successful career. Clark puts money into the Cali kids (and some power players) and often tries to get Texas players to come for little or no money. She has let some excellent local players go to A&M, OU, and to top D1 programs that simply offer more. Many of those players had an impeccable work ethic and they would have done anything to play for UT. In my opinion, had Blair gone elsewhere, Clark would be gone by now because there is little effort to build TEAM chemistry through recruits. I also question Clark's in game coaching decisions during the super regional as her team fell apart.
93players

by BleacherFun » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 am

Well, when there is no chemistry, as you pointed out, of course the team will fall apart. There is little to no sportsmanship either. Let's not forget that inspiring move of Hoagland's at the regional. Clark did not pull her out of the game, which shocked everyone, including the media. But, that's how she obviously runs her program. Normally, I would think that some of the comments on here are just a personal take on the situations, however, you have to believe that most of what is said about UT and Clark, is true. Really sad. She could have a great program over there, with all that amazing talent.
BleacherFun

by Fredegar » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:02 am

MavFan wrote:I see what you are saying but, you also run the risk of alienating yourself and your program, if you are seen as a coach that doesn't recruit local kids. I have seen it in other programs, where the coach decides to recruit out of state and ignores the local players. It works well if you are able to attract top level talent from out of state, but if you are relegated to the 2nd and 3rd level players from out of state you will find the results are not any better.
Shortly after accepting the job, I saw her in Colorado spending most of her time watching her dad's team and other SoCal teams. I know this was only one tournament, but people go with what they are familiar with.

Hmm...not sure a single verbal from CO should lead you to believe she plans to ignore all TX players. To find better players, don't you agree the odds of success are greater when choosing from a larger pool? And don't you agree that good in-state players may want a school MORE if they believe the Coach is serious enough to recruit nationally to form the best possible team?

BTW, you said you saw her in Colorado spending "most of her time" watching SoCal teams. Unless you were watching her the entire week, I don't understand how you could know where she spent "most of her time". In any case, as you said, it was only one tourney. Time will tell.
Fredegar

by just4fun » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:49 am

Fredegar, why get someone from CO, do you really think there wasn't a better player in Tx somewhere?
just4fun

by Fredegar » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:05 am

just4fun wrote:Fredegar, why get someone from CO, do you really think there wasn't a better player in Tx somewhere?

Hard to answer that, as I've never seen this particular CO kid. But okay, let's say there ARE better players in TX. Maybe they have no intention of playing at Arlington. If they're that good, they may have their sights set on Big 12, SEC, etc.

Apparently, this player was noticed, was talented, and agreed to play at Arlington. Give her the benefit of the doubt. If she's a stud, she'll help attract more good local talent, who may now choose Arlington over some of the other TX options.
Fredegar

by MavFan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am

Fredegar wrote:
MavFan wrote:I see what you are saying but, you also run the risk of alienating yourself and your program, if you are seen as a coach that doesn't recruit local kids. I have seen it in other programs, where the coach decides to recruit out of state and ignores the local players. It works well if you are able to attract top level talent from out of state, but if you are relegated to the 2nd and 3rd level players from out of state you will find the results are not any better.
Shortly after accepting the job, I saw her in Colorado spending most of her time watching her dad's team and other SoCal teams. I know this was only one tournament, but people go with what they are familiar with.

Hmm...not sure a single verbal from CO should lead you to believe she plans to ignore all TX players. To find better players, don't you agree the odds of success are greater when choosing from a larger pool? And don't you agree that good in-state players may want a school MORE if they believe the Coach is serious enough to recruit nationally to form the best possible team?

BTW, you said you saw her in Colorado spending "most of her time" watching SoCal teams. Unless you were watching her the entire week, I don't understand how you could know where she spent "most of her time". In any case, as you said, it was only one tourney. Time will tell.

I know where she spent most of her time because I spent a lot of time in Boulder, my DDs team played there and her schedule was similar to the schedule of her father's team. I saw her up there for all 6 of our pool games. We also watched a couple of kids that now play with my DD in college and again she was in Boulder using her time watching teams not from Texas. Like I said, it was one tournament perhaps not an indicator of the future plans.

I have seen coaches take over other mid major programs and think that you have to recruit out of state to be successful. Only to be met with similar results of their predecessor or worse. JMHO
MavFan

by Fredegar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm

MavFan wrote:
Fredegar wrote:Hmm...not sure a single verbal from CO should lead you to believe she plans to ignore all TX players. To find better players, don't you agree the odds of success are greater when choosing from a larger pool? And don't you agree that good in-state players may want a school MORE if they believe the Coach is serious enough to recruit nationally to form the best possible team?

I know where she spent most of her time because I spent a lot of time in Boulder, my DDs team played there and her schedule was similar to the schedule of her father's team. I saw her up there for all 6 of our pool games. We also watched a couple of kids that now play with my DD in college and again she was in Boulder using her time watching teams not from Texas. Like I said, it was one tournament perhaps not an indicator of the future plans.

I have seen coaches take over other mid major programs and think that you have to recruit out of state to be successful. Only to be met with similar results of their predecessor or worse. JMHO

Fair enough. But you didn't answer the other questions: Do you agree that you increase the odds of success by choosing from a larger pool? And don't you think a few out-of-state players could make Arlington MORE attractive to in-state talent, when they see the new coach is taking it serious enough to recruit nationally?

Again, you can't JUST say that TX has enough good players that you should ignore all others. And as mentioned above, the best TX talent may not have Arlington as one of their top in-state choices.
Fredegar

by MavFan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Fredegar wrote:
MavFan wrote:
Fredegar wrote:Hmm...not sure a single verbal from CO should lead you to believe she plans to ignore all TX players. To find better players, don't you agree the odds of success are greater when choosing from a larger pool? And don't you agree that good in-state players may want a school MORE if they believe the Coach is serious enough to recruit nationally to form the best possible team?

Fair enough. But you didn't answer the other questions: Do you agree that you increase the odds of success by choosing from a larger pool? And don't you think a few out-of-state players could make Arlington MORE attractive to in-state talent, when they see the new coach is taking it serious enough to recruit nationally?

Again, you can't JUST say that TX has enough good players that you should ignore all others. And as mentioned above, the best TX talent may not have Arlington as one of their top in-state choices.

I don't think you necessarily increase the odds of success by choosing from a larger pool, if the pool you are choosing from isn't filled with players as talented as the pool in your backyard. Just because you venture out to Colorado or Arizona or California doesn't mean you are looking at better talent, it just means you are looking at different talent.

When you look at the rosters for UC Riverside, Fullerton, Northridge, Santa Barbara and so on, how many of those kids are from outside of California? I bet you can count on one hand maybe two the number of kids from all of the Cal State or UC schools that are from out of state. Exceptions being UCLA and UC-Berkeley and maybe San Diego St. Why is that? I think the coaches for those schools believe their talent in state is better than that of out of state.

Are you saying that if Fullerton or Bakersfield recruited this pitcher from Colorado that the more talented players from California would be more attracted in Fullerton or Bakersfield? I don't think that would be the case at all. I think that California, like Texas, thinks, for the most part, that their in-state talent is better than other states. Right or wrong.

I hope Coach Fox is successful and maybe I am wrong on my assessment, but I will stand by my opinion that if Northridge, Bakersfield, Pacific, and all aren't making regular regional and super regional appearances with the California talent that they bring in, why would that same talent, all of a sudden make UTA a contender? Maybe, obviously she needs to try something, I would try recruiting the top talent in state. What does Houston or Texas St. offer that UTA doesn't? Why are they able to attract SOME of the top in-state talent?
MavFan

by just4fun » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 pm

ok, so sept is almost over, has anyone seen her this fall?
just4fun

by hitforpower » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 pm

just4fun wrote:ok, so sept is almost over, has anyone seen her this fall?

She was at the Bomber exposure in Seguin
hitforpower

PreviousNext

Return to TX