Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Shins and ankles

by cuzmail » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 am

Getting tired of getting hit while my 11 yr old DD learns the drop ball and drop curve. :oops: :) Really trying not to use catcher's shin gurads during this time if I don't have to. What have you other bucket dads done?

Yes, I know that if I catch it, then it won't hit me. Lets just assume that I am going to miss enough of them to matter. :lol:
cuzmail

by Phantomz08 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:47 am

cuzmail wrote:Getting tired of getting hit while my 11 yr old DD learns the drop ball and drop curve. :oops: :) Really trying not to use catcher's shin gurads during this time if I don't have to. What have you other bucket dads done?

Yes, I know that if I catch it, then it won't hit me. Lets just assume that I am going to miss enough of them to matter. :lol:

Too proud to wear shin guards? The worst I have been hurt was off of a change up that hit the floor 15 feet in front of me and managed to hit my right shin bone squarely.

I say wear them or get pay somebody to catch your daughter. At 11 years old, you should be able to handle it until she starts throwing 55 and above.

MTCW
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cuzmail » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:56 am

Phantomz08 wrote:
cuzmail wrote:Getting tired of getting hit while my 11 yr old DD learns the drop ball and drop curve. :oops: :) Really trying not to use catcher's shin gurads during this time if I don't have to. What have you other bucket dads done?

Too proud to wear shin guards? The worst I have been hurt was off of a change up that hit the floor 15 feet in front of me and managed to hit my right shin bone squarely.

I say wear them or get pay somebody to catch your daughter. At 11 years old, you should be able to handle it until she starts throwing 55 and above.

MTCW

Never said anything in my post about being too proud.

Just don't want to mess with them if I don't have to. More stuff to lug around.

Thanks for your insight and help.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by WACdad » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 am

Cuz, turn your legs to the 2 o'clock position
while on the bucket. Keeps your legs out of
harm's way and you should still be able to
catch the ball. That's what I used to do.
WACdad

by MaryAnn Summers » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:43 pm

cuzmail wrote:
Phantomz08 wrote:

MTCW

Never said anything in my post about being too proud.

Just don't want to mess with them if I don't have to. More stuff to lug around.

Thanks for your insight and help.

How about the more important stuff a little further up? When you going to start wearing a cup? Don't want lug more stuff around? I used to catch my dd all the time, wore shin guards but didn't have to worry about the cup thing, even though they make female cups. Did you know that?
MaryAnn Summers

by BAM2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:45 pm

My daughter who's a catcher, catches my daughter who's a pitcher. Best of both worlds, when there not fighting.
But one of the best things i've seen is, using soccer shin guards. Not bulky and offer protection.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MaryAnn Summers » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:34 am

Spazsdad wrote:
MaryAnn Summers wrote:even though they make female cups. Did you know that?

Ya it's called a pot. No get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.
:lol: :P

Now Spaz, you wouldn't talk to your wife that way, would you?
How do you like your sandwich sir? :D :P

I just saying, the girl is 11 years old. The 2:00 method is great but you can also learn how to raise your legs really quick. The best thing to do is invest in some shin guards because it is only going to get worse, if she continues to pick up speed. Don't be too proud!! :lol: :lol:
MaryAnn Summers

by cuzmail » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks for all of you input.

Some points of clarification that I didn't do well on in the original post.

* Again it isn't a proud thing.
* I do turn to the two o'clock(ish) position, therefore a cup isn't needed.
* If I do get hit in the lower leg it is anatomically not the shin, but rather the medial lower
leg/distal calf to ankle region.
* It is usually an outside drop ball or a drop curve that will get me even with the legs around
the two o'clock position since that is the outer region of the plate.
* Her velocity is in the upper 40's and sometimes touches 50 depending on if it is a good day or
not and the pitch she is throwing. While that doesn't set the world on fire; it is enough for me
to notice it when it meets the skin.

I wanted to see if the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum had a better idea. Sounds like it is time to pick up some shin guards. The weather here is not good for much else anyway this weekend.

So what is the favorite shin guard for buckets moms and dads?
cuzmail

by DP3816 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:23 am

How about soccer shin guards? More importantly as your DD gaims velocity you need to start thinking about cups! If you don't think a pitch is going to get away and smack you in the twig and berries then you're in for a surprise.
DP3816

by cuzmail » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 am

DP3816 wrote:How about soccer shin guards? More importantly as your DD gaims velocity you need to start thinking about cups! If you don't think a pitch is going to get away and smack you in the twig and berries then you're in for a surprise.

Exactly what I hoped this thread would produce - thoughts on what the best type of leg guard would be. Soccer style is an option.

I really think that the turn to the right side eliminates the need for a cup. The area exposed would be my left upper thigh. It would have to be a mean screwball to curve in to the manhood in that position. :o
cuzmail

Next

Return to TX