Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Intentionally walking a kid in a Showcase Event

by DonnieS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm

rodehardputawaywet wrote:Sounds like a bleeding heart liberal from bankrupt blue state that has no hope…..or change! .

Jeez, did they nail you or what? Guys, honestly, give it up, you are wrong on so many levels , its crazy. Spazdad, a bleeding heart liberal, - I guess I missed that part somewhere around where Spazdad and I very strongly pushed the concept of competing - just seeing how good you really are against someone of obviously a pretty good talent - yep, thats what bleeding heart liberals are all about.

Guys , give it up - and go sit by the phone.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Spaz a bleeding heart??? Does that make Dugout a Moderate?
jonriv

by freetacos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Donnie you arrogance is killing any credibility that you might have had.

Common man

ft
freetacos

by DonnieS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:51 pm

freetacos wrote:Donnie you arrogance is killing any credibility that you might have had.

Common man

ft

Dude, you got me pegged. And I am not a common man - I am much less.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 pm

The umpire should never announce last batter. Time has either expired or there is time left - he does not know if the batter will hit a HR on the 1st pitch, thus 2 seconds has run-off or whether it will be a 15 pitch battle and 5 minutes has run off.

If asked how much time is left, he should tell them how much time is left as a courtesy. Once time has expired, the PU then announces "Game Over, time has expired"

Otherwise a pretty chicken move on part of the defensive coach.
Makina

by Makina » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 pm

bigbaddude wrote:
Makina wrote:The umpire should never announce last batter. Time has either expired or there is time left - he does not know if the batter will hit a HR on the 1st pitch, thus 2 seconds has run-off or whether it will be a 15 pitch battle and 5 minutes has run off.

If asked how much time is left, he should tell them how much time is left as a courtesy. Once time has expired, the PU then announces "Game Over, time has expired"

Wrong..... In a showcase setting, with the rules "finish the batter", what is the PU suppose to do? Most of the time when there is less than a minute to go, the umpire states "last batter". I think if there are clocks visibly on the scoreboard, he/she shouldn't have to announce "last batter", just let it play out. If no clocks on the scoreboard, let them make the decision to say "game over" after the girl at bat has finished her turn. I witnessed 18U Gold caoches telling their player to keep running because the last batter had been announced. I thought that was rather bush league to say the least. 6U, 8U, yes but not 18U Gold.

I am in total agreement rather it is a pool game or showcase, the umpire should call the game after time has expired and the batter has finished her turn at bat. This would eliminate a lot of what this thread is about. But then again, that makes too much sense.

Is that true?

Wrong? All the showcases I attend are drop dead and never last batter? I guess this must be an East Coast rule. 6u, 8u showcase tournaments, wow! Where can I get my kid in one of those tournaments! Even if a scoreboard has the time, the official time is always kept by the plate umpire's time piece.
Makina

by MavFan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:30 am

Makina wrote:
bigbaddude wrote:
Makina wrote:The umpire should never announce last batter. Time has either expired or there is time left - he does not know if the batter will hit a HR on the 1st pitch, thus 2 seconds has run-off or whether it will be a 15 pitch battle and 5 minutes has run off.

Wrong..... In a showcase setting, with the rules "finish the batter", what is the PU suppose to do? Most of the time when there is less than a minute to go, the umpire states "last batter". I think if there are clocks visibly on the scoreboard, he/she shouldn't have to announce "last batter", just let it play out. If no clocks on the scoreboard, let them make the decision to say "game over" after the girl at bat has finished her turn. I witnessed 18U Gold caoches telling their player to keep running because the last batter had been announced. I thought that was rather bush league to say the least. 6U, 8U, yes but not 18U Gold.

I am in total agreement rather it is a pool game or showcase, the umpire should call the game after time has expired and the batter has finished her turn at bat. This would eliminate a lot of what this thread is about. But then again, that makes too much sense.

Is that true?

Wrong? All the showcases I attend are drop dead and never last batter? I guess this must be an East Coast rule. 6u, 8u showcase tournaments, wow! Where can I get my kid in one of those tournaments! Even if a scoreboard has the time, the official time is always kept by the plate umpire's time piece.

Texas is East Coast? Do they teach geography anymore?

And not to speak for Bigbaddude, but I did not understand him to say the 6U and 8U had showcases. IMHO he was saying the practice of "keep running" after the umpire announced last batter was probably acceptable in 6U or 8U but not so much in 18U. You probably already knew that but since he told you "wrong" you appear to have gotten butt hurt about being told you were wrong and decided to try and prove him wrong with a lame argument.

But you bring up another point with your drop dead vs finish the batter statement. You said chicken shit move by the defensive coach, but appear to have no problem with the umpire taking the bat out of the players hand. I would have more of an issue with an umpire that will stop a game with a batter in the middle of an AB, than I do with a pitcher pitching around a batter.

Is that true??? (Sorry BBD for stealing your tagline)
MavFan

by rbi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Ok, so is there a difference between conventional intentional walk, and unconventional intentional walk, well IMO one looks worse than the other, or maybe a coach is a little smarter than the other, just saying, it happens more than you think IMO in showcases, just saw it matter of fact with a very very well known team, damn them anyhow , with that said the intentional walk in a showcase looks bush, and the unintentional/intentional (4-pitch walk) to most looks like a walk, what you going to do go lose sleep, jeez I would rather just smile...
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by txfastptchcoach » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:55 am

you are all looking at it wrong. I think the kid should be proud because they are saying we can't get you out and /or you are not going to get a chance to beat us. It's the highest respect you can get as a hitter. I don't agree with it in a exposure event but wanted to give my spin on it.

I have definetly walked kids or pitched around to make themselves get out numerous times. Some kids have pitcher's #, they see the ball well against them and vice a versa goes for the pitcher.
txfastptchcoach

by rbi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm

txfastptchcoach wrote:you are all looking at it wrong. I think the kid should be proud because they are saying we can't get you out and /or you are not going to get a chance to beat us. It's the highest respect you can get as a hitter. I don't agree with it in a exposure event but wanted to give my spin on it.

I have definetly walked kids or pitched around to make themselves get out numerous times. Some kids have pitcher's #, they see the ball well against them and vice a versa goes for the pitcher.

My point was it happens more often in showcases than people think, its just catcher doesnt stand up, catcher sets up outside and for some reason the damn ball hits the glove/TARGET all four times, 8 inchs off the plate

Oh I get it trust me, that is why I smile...
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to TX