Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

No interest in AZ players

by BrokeBySoftball » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Been living in AZ for some time and DD grew up on the AZ softball fields for last 6 years. She has been working trying to get the attention of Texas colleges but none seem interested. She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior and HS starter every year, 3x TCS all-american, All Southern AZ 2 yrs, All AZ honerable mention, played in ASA 16 and 18U Nationals, ASA AZ State champions, and I can go on and on. Yet we can not figure out what it takes to get a Texas colleges to show interest in her. When she moves there one lucky college coach is going to be suprised since she has a 1.8 average catcher pop time and hit over 400 for the last 4 years running, and 3.0 GPA.

Anyone got a clue??
BrokeBySoftball

by softballdaddi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 pm

BrokeBySoftball wrote:Been living in AZ for some time and DD grew up on the AZ softball fields for last 6 years. She has been working trying to get the attention of Texas colleges but none seem interested. She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior and HS starter every year, 3x TCS all-american, All Southern AZ 2 yrs, All AZ honerable mention, played in ASA 16 and 18U Nationals, ASA AZ State champions, and I can go on and on. Yet we can not figure out what it takes to get a Texas colleges to show interest in her. When she moves there one lucky college coach is going to be suprised since she has a 1.8 average catcher pop time and hit over 400 for the last 4 years running, and 3.0 GPA.

Anyone got a clue??

Hey Broke, let me know what you find out. We live in Phoenix but moved from Austin 2 years ago. I am more impressed by west coast ball then Texas ball. Our coaches in Az prefer Surf city and all the "big" tourneys, yet we NEVER see Texas coaches here on the west coast or Az what is up with that. FYI, my daughter will start for Connie one day. Mark these words!
softballdaddi

by MavFan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 pm

I would send that message to all of the colleges in Texas rather than post it on Hey Bucket. :twisted: I am sure your daughter will get the response she is looking for. :shock: :o
MavFan

by arkansassoftball » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Maybe I can provide some advice, but need a little more information. Just a quick question, is she getting offers from colleges from other states? When you say "working to get attention", what has she been doing so far to get their attention?
arkansassoftball

by justawatcher » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 pm

arkansassoftball wrote:When you say "working to get attention", what has she been doing so far to get their attention?

That's the big question. Define "working to get attention"
justawatcher

by 93players » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 pm

The Arizona Hotshots have been working hard to get elite Texas teams to come out to their 16U exposure tourneys and of course to get Texas coaches to follow. With today's high tech, so many players blast coaches with stock emails. I think you have to work hard to personalize each email to the school. Tell them why you want to go to that school. What program are you so excited about. What about the softball team. Have you followed them. Are you offering to make a trip on an informal visit.

It is true Texas and A&M pick so early there are not many spots. They also prefer instate players because the tuition is so much lower. So the scholarship monies go further. And, many Texas players up to now have had the Texas tommorrow fund so they do not need tuition. They could use some support for room and board. We bought 4 years for $10,000 (on payments BTW) when dd was a baby. Now that is worth close to $40,000 for a public school.
93players

by MavFan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 pm

On a serious note, I hope this doesn't come off as anything more than helpful info. There are so many players in the state of Texas that do not want to leave the state to go to college. I can't tell you how many times I have had to persuade a coach to stick around to watch a player who was genuinely interested in attending their out of Texas school. They had been burned more than once before and were gun shy about recruiting kids from Texas. So unless the out of state student is an absolute stud, they can probably find that player in their Texas talent pool, and as 93players accurately states, for much less money. I also agree with 93players in that the bigger schools, Texas, A&M, Houston, Tech, Baylor are not actively recruiting 2013s. Not to say they won't take one, but they are not actively recruiting current seniors. Maybe now that she is in the state, there will be some in state schools interested I don't know, but that is my honest opinion of why Texas college coaches don't necessarily recruit much out of state.
MavFan

by hitforpower » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 am

I think Mav and 93 are right on track with their comments.

What team is she playing for and what showcases are they playing in? Also what are her grades and what will she Major in? It may not be one thing but a number of things that just add up to a risk for the coach.
hitforpower

by Vess Express » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am

You haven’t specifically stated any one school that she is interested in, so if she just wants to play in Texas, and is not overly picky, you could try and get on one of the named organizations here. If she is pretty good, they would probably love to bring her on, and then announce on their website that they got her recruited!

There is a website – http://www.fastpitchsoftball.net – that has a pretty good local bulletin board. They have several orgs. looking right now - Texas Elite, Texas Nemesis, Texas Firecrackers, American Freedom, and they have posted times for tryouts, etc.
You may have to log on to the “old website” (upper right hand corner) as the new one doesn’t seem to be working. Go to Bulletin Boards, then Team and player search, then scroll down to the different Texas boards.

Another good choice could be a Junior College. They can be a little easier to contact sometimes, and they can pay for out of state players, if they wish. If she does well there, she can go to a 4 year college more of her choice, at that time. If you want to PM me, feel free to do so.
Vess Express

by justawatcher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Just a quick look at the rosters of 8 Texas DI schools, (just the first 8 that came to mind,) gave me the following information:

51 out of state players, 7 of which are from Arizona

UT - 6
A&M - 3
Baylor - 5 (1 from AZ.)
Houston - 4
Texas Tech - 12 (2 from AZ)
UTEP - 12 (2 from AZ)
Abilene Christian - 5
A&M CC - 4 (2 from AZ)

If these numbers indicate anything relative to the topic, almost 1 player per Texas school on average is from Arizona.
justawatcher

Next

Return to TX