Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

No interest in AZ players

by Fasttrack2 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 am

Call Kevin, coaches Texas Glory Gold, he can answer your question. # on his web site.
Fasttrack2

by MavFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 am

justawatcher wrote:Just a quick look at the rosters of 8 Texas DI schools, (just the first 8 that came to mind,) gave me the following information:

51 out of state players, 7 of which are from Arizona

UT - 6
A&M - 3
Baylor - 5 (1 from AZ.)
Houston - 4
Texas Tech - 12 (2 from AZ)
UTEP - 12 (2 from AZ)
Abilene Christian - 5
A&M CC - 4 (2 from AZ)

If these numbers indicate anything relative to the topic, almost 1 player per Texas school on average is from Arizona.

Or I could say that only 50% of the schools listed have a kid from Arizona. And 1 of the 4 schools listed as having kids from Arizona, is UTEP, which is actually closer to Phoenix than it is Houston or Dallas.
MavFan

by stars99 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 am

Alabama coach very open about signing kids from Alabama
stars99

by softballdaddi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Also' I think if you look at incoming kids the numbers are even lower.
TX 2013 all TX kids
2014 1 non TX
TAMU 2013, 2014, 2015 all TX kids
Baylor 2013 all TX
2014 2 non TX
TX Tech all verbals listed TX kids

Numbers based on a quick check of announced verbals.

Bottom line the TX schools recruit TX kids

WOW! these are disturbing numbers if you don't live in Texas, but want your kid to play in Texas. Thanks everyone for the stats. I am engineer so, I live by and breathe numbers. :geek:
softballdaddi

by justawatcher » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:33 pm

MavFan wrote:
justawatcher wrote:Just a quick look at the rosters of 8 Texas DI schools, (just the first 8 that came to mind,) gave me the following information:

51 out of state players, 7 of which are from Arizona

UT - 6
A&M - 3
Baylor - 5 (1 from AZ.)
Houston - 4
Texas Tech - 12 (2 from AZ)
UTEP - 12 (2 from AZ)
Abilene Christian - 5
A&M CC - 4 (2 from AZ)

If these numbers indicate anything relative to the topic, almost 1 player per Texas school on average is from Arizona.

Or I could say that only 50% of the schools listed have a kid from Arizona. And 1 of the 4 schools listed as having kids from Arizona, is UTEP, which is actually closer to Phoenix than it is Houston or Dallas.

The UTEP comment isn't really relevant. You could say that UTCC is closer to Mexico than Houston or Dallas; Doesn't mean they are going to recruit Mexican softball players. You're right though, these numbers can be looked at in hundreds of different ways. My point was merely that if a kid living in Arizona (who has roots in Texas I might add) wants to play in Texas, it's possible. I also wanted to disprove the author's title of this thread.

stars99 wrote:Alabama coach very open about signing kids from Alabama

Wrong. Murphy is open about recruiting kids from "the South." Only half of this year's signees and only 4 of his current 19 roster players are from Alabama

Spazsdad wrote:Bottom line the TX schools recruit TX kids

Of course they do. Why wouldn't they?

Regardless, this kid is an uncommitted senior. The harsh reality is that the availability for her is going to be limited at best, Texas or no.
justawatcher

by freetacos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Don't give up. Opportunities come along when you least expect it. My oldest daughter signed her nli the summer after her HS senior year. Sometimes I think things happen for a reason...not allways of course. Anyway the school that she went to was a perfect fit for her. We thought TAMU was a lock as Coach Evans had indicated that it was a real possibility. She got to play at TAMU when her school made it to the WCWS regional. Ironically the pitcher she faced there was a former HS team mate. You just never know.

I also wonder how many kids from out of state end up going home after the fall season because they are homesick? It can be tough when mom is 3 or 4 states away.

ft

Good Luck with your daughter.
freetacos

by PDad » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:13 pm

MavFan wrote:On a serious note, ... So unless the out of state student is an absolute stud, they can probably find that player in their Texas talent pool, and as 93players accurately states, for much less money.

How do y'all figure less money? The higher nonresident tuition shouldn't be an issue.

I also agree with 93players in that the bigger schools, Texas, A&M, Houston, Tech, Baylor are not actively recruiting 2013s. Not to say they won't take one, but they are not actively recruiting current seniors. ...

OP said she is a junior - "She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior..."
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballdaddi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 pm

freetacos wrote:Don't give up. Opportunities come along when you least expect it. My oldest daughter signed her nli the summer after her HS senior year. Sometimes I think things happen for a reason...not allways of course. Anyway the school that she went to was a perfect fit for her. We thought TAMU was a lock as Coach Evans had indicated that it was a real possibility. She got to play at TAMU when her school made it to the WCWS regional. Ironically the pitcher she faced there was a former HS team mate. You just never know.

I also wonder how many kids from out of state end up going home after the fall season because they are homesick? It can be tough when mom is 3 or 4 states away.

ft

Good Luck with your daughter.

thanks Taco, Yo Quero Taco Bell :P
softballdaddi

by fastpitchforever » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 pm

BrokeBySoftball wrote:Been living in AZ for some time and DD grew up on the AZ softball fields for last 6 years. She has been working trying to get the attention of Texas colleges but none seem interested. She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior and HS starter every year, 3x TCS all-american, All Southern AZ 2 yrs, All AZ honerable mention, played in ASA 16 and 18U Nationals, ASA AZ State champions, and I can go on and on. Yet we can not figure out what it takes to get a Texas colleges to show interest in her. When she moves there one lucky college coach is going to be suprised since she has a 1.8 average catcher pop time and hit over 400 for the last 4 years running, and 3.0 GPA.

Anyone got a clue??

Maybe the same reason Cali schools only recruit Cali kids? Ok, seriously, 1) You already know she is too late for the major Texas schools, but plenty of lesser D-1's, D-2's, D-3's still recruiting 2013's, 2014's. 2) you need your texas TB coach to help call some of her top schools to sell her ability, plus she must also call them herself. But wIthout a hearty endorsement from a name TB coach, she won't get a look IMO.
fastpitchforever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MavFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:25 pm

PDad wrote:
MavFan wrote:On a serious note, ... So unless the out of state student is an absolute stud, they can probably find that player in their Texas talent pool, and as 93players accurately states, for much less money.

How do y'all figure less money? The higher nonresident tuition shouldn't be an issue.

I also agree with 93players in that the bigger schools, Texas, A&M, Houston, Tech, Baylor are not actively recruiting 2013s. Not to say they won't take one, but they are not actively recruiting current seniors. ...

OP said she is a junior - "She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior..."

PDAD and Spazsdad

Both A&M and Texas can get Texas kids because they are, well, Texas and A&M. I know of 3 kids, in the past couple of years, that turned down bigger scholarships, both in dollar amount and % of costs from other schools, to attend A&M, Texas and Baylor because it was their dream school. Not everyone in Cal, AZ, or wherever is going to take the discounted offer.

As far as the residency thing, I read that she will be finishing her senior year next year, as in 2013. I see where you are coming from, but either way it isn't clear.
MavFan

PreviousNext

Return to TX