Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

No interest in AZ players

by MavFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
PDad wrote:
MavFan wrote:On a serious note, ... So unless the out of state student is an absolute stud, they can probably find that player in their Texas talent pool, and as 93players accurately states, for much less money.

How do y'all figure less money? The higher nonresident tuition shouldn't be an issue.

When we talked to Coach Evans at TAMU she stated that it did not matter to her if the kid was in or out of state. She was allocated 12 scholarships and they all counted equally, there was no dollar difference as far as her end was concerned.

Spazsdad, did she say there was not dollar difference for her or for you? Was she saying that all of her scholarships were in-state tuition rate and you could get an out of state tuition waiver? Sorry just confused with how you worded it.

The way it was worded I could understand that to mean if she has 12 $9000 scholarships to allocate and says she will give your kid 50% of that, but the out of state tuition is $20,000, she is offering less than 25% of your tuition costs.
MavFan

by MavFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Spazsdad wrote:No she said the difference in dollar value between in state and out of state was not an issue with her recruiting budget. A scholarship was a scholarship. Taking an in state kid did not give her more money to give to someone else.
If she was giving a kid say 80% that was 80% of whatever it cost that particular kid to attend the school.

OK, I see what you are saying now. So using a $10,000 in state rate and $20,000 out of state rate, the out of pocket expenses for a Texas parent on an 50% scholarship would be $5,000 and the same scholarship for out-of-state parent would be $10,000.

So even with that, it is still cheaper for her to recruit Texas kids. I mean if my wife budgets for 3 pairs of shoes and can only buy 3, and spends for $50 on pair 1, pair 2 costs her $100 and pair 3 is $50, while she could have spent $300 on shoes, she only spent $200, its still a savings to the bottom line.
MavFan

by MavFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Yea I am not sure how the inner working of the athletic dept budget work, and which costs are real $$ and which aren't.

I stand behind my comment that a Texas kid will be more apt to take the 30% offer than the out of state kid. Where she might have to offer the out of state kid 50% to get her. So with that same scholarship, she can get 3 Texas kids and only 2 out of state kids. And like I said originally, if she has to give 1 out of state kid a 100%, that kid will need to be a superstar because she can potentially get 3 for the price of that 1.
MavFan

by PDad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:13 am

MavFan wrote:
PDad wrote:
MavFan wrote:I also agree with 93players in that the bigger schools, Texas, A&M, Houston, Tech, Baylor are not actively recruiting 2013s. Not to say they won't take one, but they are not actively recruiting current seniors. ...

OP said she is a junior - "She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior..."

As far as the residency thing, I read that she will be finishing her senior year next year, as in 2013. I see where you are coming from, but either way it isn't clear.

It isn't clear?! :lol: OK, is this clear enough?

"She will finish here senior year of high school next year in Texas so to get her residency. She is a junior and HS starter every year, ..."
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:02 am

MavFan wrote:Yea I am not sure how the inner working of the athletic dept budget work, and which costs are real $$ and which aren't.

I stand behind my comment that a Texas kid will be more apt to take the 30% offer than the out of state kid. Where she might have to offer the out of state kid 50% to get her. So with that same scholarship, she can get 3 Texas kids and only 2 out of state kids. And like I said originally, if she has to give 1 out of state kid a 100%, that kid will need to be a superstar because she can potentially get 3 for the price of that 1.

Thanks for clarifying. I can see where in-state kids would be more receptive to lesser scholarship offers (i.e. percentagewise) because the remaining portion they have to cover is less.

The dollar amount of the athletic offer is irrelevant to the school and should be to the athlete as well. The school goes by percentages to stay within their limit. The athlete should only be concerned with how much it will cost them to go there.

BTW, NCAA rules count out-of-state tuition waivers as athletic aid unless they are part of a program that is also available to non-athletes.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to TX