Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Dual Credit...

by Battle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:28 pm

How does dual credit classes affect your HS GPA? For example...If a kid has a 4.0 and takes two college class with dual credit in HS and makes a B in both, does it bring down their HS GPA?

Has anyone heard of having too many college classes in HS therefore affecting how much scholarship money is given?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by MavFan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I am no expert Battle, but I believe the B would be included in the HS GPA.

As far as too many college credits, my kid has 9 credits from AP classes and it had no impact on the amount of her scholarship, in fact she had already signed the NLI prior to taking any of the AP exams and had already received her admission and academic award letter prior to taking the AP exams.
MavFan

by hitforpower » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 am

Mav is correct. The B would count towards the HS GPA. Also is could affect her class rank which could keep her from being in the top 10%. A kid who takes no AP or Dual credit classes and makes all As would have a higher class rank than a kid who takes AP and Dual credit classes and has a B or two.

I think it is still a better option for kids to take AP and dual credit cources but there are some things to consider.
hitforpower

by Battle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks Y'all. I never could find anything specific on this and that's why I asked here but I did see something interesting while I was searching. If I read it right, an AP class weighs more than a DC class. I knew that both weighs more than a regular class but thought AP and DC were the same weight.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Bleacher Creature » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:44 am

My DD is doing it this yr. My understanding is that while the school is on a 4.0 scale these classes are on a 5.0 scale so a good grade up's GPA and Ranking.
IDK? but that is how it was explained to me......
"If you aint first your last"
Bleacher Creature
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:00 pm

bigbaddude wrote:Thanks BC, MF and Batle. You have all made my CHRISTmad morning worthwhile.

Hope you and all the other turds on here have a safe and Happy NEW Year.

I cannot wait for softball to start up again. It is going to be a little different for my little babay to start pitching form a diiferent distance and she is only 6.
hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha,,

Go Cowgirls and the sheety Texans!!

Fire Kubiak and hire John Gruden...

I see you've found the Eggnog! :lol:

Edit: What did your 6 year old make on her ACT? Surely this is her second time to take it and should have raised her score at least 4 points from the last time. C'mon you KNOW it's true! :lol:
Last edited by Battle on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battle

by Battle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:07 pm

hitforpower wrote:Mav is correct. The B would count towards the HS GPA. Also is could affect her class rank which could keep her from being in the top 10%. A kid who takes no AP or Dual credit classes and makes all As would have a higher class rank than a kid who takes AP and Dual credit classes and has a B or two.

I think it is still a better option for kids to take AP and dual credit cources but there are some things to consider.

Well found out that you and Mav are correct about the HS GPA.

I understand that the grades from DC don't transfer to the college GPA. Only the credits transfer. Also, if it is a C then some colleges may not accept the credit. Some colleges accept only a B and above and some accept only a C and above. I guess that is one thing that should be asked.

If this is not correct, feel free to correct me.
Battle

by DonnieS » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:31 pm

bigbaddude wrote: I truly think they will make the playoffs and that should make Jerry and Donnie really happy. Is that true?

And to all a g'night!

What exactly are you drinking? If you think the 'girls' are going to make the playoffs, I want to drink what you are drinking. The only way the cowboys make the playoffs is by getting rid of the biggest plague on the team, Jerry Jones. To be real honest, I like watching RG3 play - and while I hope the Redskins and their home city fall away into the Atlantic ( I feel the same way about the Eagles , San Fran , Green Bay (I still havent gotten over 1966) )-but for RG3, I want to watch him play. Another good thing about the Cowboys losing out early - again for the 10 or so straight time, is I can just watch the games for the joy of watching football, I dont have to sit on the edge of my seat , wondering how Romo is going to blow it this time. And you are very kind - to consider my feelings - but again, what is your drink? Mine is Southern Comfort and thats not cutting it. :D
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MavFan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Battle wrote:
hitforpower wrote:Mav is correct. The B would count towards the HS GPA. Also is could affect her class rank which could keep her from being in the top 10%. A kid who takes no AP or Dual credit classes and makes all As would have a higher class rank than a kid who takes AP and Dual credit classes and has a B or two.

Well found out that you and Mav are correct about the HS GPA.

I understand that the grades from DC don't transfer to the college GPA. Only the credits transfer. Also, if it is a C then some colleges may not accept the credit. Some colleges accept only a B and above and some accept only a C and above. I guess that is one thing that should be asked.

If this is not correct, feel free to correct me.

Battle on a side note, when sending your final transcripts to the ultimate school of choice, make sure your high school sends both the weighted and the unweighted GPAs. It is my understanding that NCAA Clearinghouse just uses raw data and unweighted GPA, since it is simply for eligibility. Where class rank and other awards are based on the weighted GPA. So as I said, most schools will calculate on both unweighted and weighted GPA, just a heads up to make sure the high school sends the weighted GPA on the transcipts to the university of choice, it can effect academic awards.
MavFan

by Battle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:44 am

MavFan wrote:Battle on a side note, when sending your final transcripts to the ultimate school of choice, make sure your high school sends both the weighted and the unweighted GPAs. It is my understanding that NCAA Clearinghouse just uses raw data and unweighted GPA, since it is simply for eligibility. Where class rank and other awards are based on the weighted GPA. So as I said, most schools will calculate on both unweighted and weighted GPA, just a heads up to make sure the high school sends the weighted GPA on the transcipts to the university of choice, it can effect academic awards.

Have you ever talked to the colleges about the transfer of credits from AP and DC classes? I talked to some last week and they told me that while the credits may transfer, they will not count toward that particular class. It will only count as an elective. But you should still take the classes because it shows that the student is really serious about college and prepares them better versus regular curriculum. Is that the way you understand it?
Battle

Next

Return to TX