Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Title IX

by sittingonabucket » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:03 am

I'm still somewhat amazed at how many girls and parents take for granted the struggle a lot of people have gone through over the last 40 years to get some reasonable level of equality in girls sports.

We still have a long way to go.

I want to encourage everyone to know the laws and understand them. a quick google will tell you everything you need to know.

emi.johnson@tea.state.tx.us is the Title IX officer for the state of Texas.
sittingonabucket

by Vess Express » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm

I don’t take Title IX for granted one bit. Title IX was just going into effect when I started my High School playing days, and most of my athletic experiences went pretty well, as far as gender equality. (I did not grow up in Texas)

The thing I am amazed by, is that it still takes Title IX for some schools to act fairly, in this day and age. Just recently, one particular school bought sweats and track shoes for their boys track team, and nothing for the girls team (it was around $5,000). When the AD was contacted, he stated he knew nothing about it. After reminding him that he signs off on all invoices for the athletics dept., he said he must have thought it was for all of the track participants. That AD has since moved on.

I pay my taxes just like everyone else, and I expect my daughter to be given the same amount of recognition as any boy, when it comes to achievements in academics or athletics. It’s not just about the girls having identical amounts of money spent on them in athletics. It’s about making their teams, facilities, uniforms, etc. up to a standard that shows how their skills, and the hard work they do, are recognized for being special.

Thanks for your email address.
Vess Express

by sward » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Been fighting with our School AD and district for the past 3.5 years for softball equality in facilities. They finally have spent money on 4 of the 5 HS's and guess who is still left out, Part of me wants to forget it, but I know I need to keep the pressure on them.
sward

Return to TX