Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

ASA opinions

by softballmom52 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:36 am

What are your opinions of ASA? From a coaching side, parent side, admin side?
softballmom52

by hit4power » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:43 am

Not sure what you are trying to ask or understand...

As a parent I had no issues but also no involvement with ASA from an organization viewpoint. As a coach (albeit briefly) ASA is not the easiest org to figure out how to deal with, it pays to ask those who are already experienced in navigating tournament registration, insurance issues, etc how to do things, but once you figure it out, it wasn't difficult - just not always obvious.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballmom52 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:20 am

hit4power wrote:Not sure what you are trying to ask or understand...

As a parent I had no issues but also no involvement with ASA from an organization viewpoint. As a coach (albeit briefly) ASA is not the easiest org to figure out how to deal with, it pays to ask those who are already experienced in navigating tournament registration, insurance issues, etc how to do things, but once you figure it out, it wasn't difficult - just not always obvious.

Not really asking any one thing. Just would like to get others opinions on ASA vs other orgs (PGF, TCS, etc.) Know people that praise ASA and think that it is the only way to play, then hear others that try hard to stay away from it. Would like to know why people love it and why people stay away from it.
softballmom52

by PDad » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:06 pm

softballmom52 wrote:
hit4power wrote:Not sure what you are trying to ask or understand...

Not really asking any one thing. Just would like to get others opinions on ASA vs other orgs (PGF, TCS, etc.) Know people that praise ASA and think that it is the only way to play, then hear others that try hard to stay away from it. Would like to know why people love it and why people stay away from it.

ASA is more regulated than PGF and TCS, so there are some more hoops to jump through. The disparity in opinions can also be due to the local people for the org. Beyond that, it depends on what your team wants or needs.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bubbles » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Why not play all three-ASA, PGF and TCS?
Bubbles

by softballmom52 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Bubbles wrote:Why not play all three-ASA, PGF and TCS?

We do play all 3. Just asking for pros and cons of playing ASA as opposed to the others.
softballmom52

by TheBallisYellow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 am

Just depends on what your looking to get out of it. In my opinion ASA and PGF are the most recognized by colleges and get the most exposure. I think they are both difficult at first but once you learn the do's and donts its not bad
TheBallisYellow

by txfastptchcoach » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 am

When I was coaching ASA was the thing!!! You wanted to be the best you had to play the best and ASA was where it was at. Now that PGF has been up and running ALL the California teams are staying home to save money. So therefore your better teams play PGF. The rest of the country is catching up but Cali still has the best teams. If ASA would have been smart they would have put more National tournaments in Cali. TCS has taken over ALL the major Exposure events so you better play in these if you want to put your child in front of College coaches. The only tournament they haven't been able to take over is the (Big Daddy) Independence Tourny in Boulder, Colorado. You have to EARN the right to play in this one. So I guess what I'm saying is you need to play in ALL. ASA's website is not the best to navigate thru so on the Admin side I would say its the hardest. But you still have to Qualify for Nationals as do you for PGF. I'm not familar with TCS Nationals because we only played the Exposure events. From my expierence ONLY the PGF group was VERY personable when speaking with them. There website was easy to navigate because they adopted a website I was familar with. PGF is going to have to move National event around or they are going to fall in the same issues ASA did in the past of tired of ALWAYS going to Cali. Just my opinion so take it for that.

Another thing ASA and Premire will have countless College coaches at Nationals as well.
txfastptchcoach

by 93players » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Txfastpitchcoach has it right -- play all 3 and tell each organization you are going to dance with them. PGF took a big hit in the WCWS when most of the PAC teams could not get out of regionals. Cali kids are a little too arrogant and they are not delivering for their coaches. ASA is still the best, but if you have the money you could often go to both. Triple Crown is evil and throwing its weight around with the coaches-- if they want good fields at the key tourneys they have to play the crappy ones. Sad state of affairs but it is a matter of time when it will end. Bullies get punched in the face and walk away.
93players

by sbparent12 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:40 am

When my daughters were playing ASA was it. Well there was AFA and USSSA but all the best played ASA. It was there way or the highway. Now PGF has started up and someone mentioned the TCS.
One thing about ASA is you earn your spot. PGF got started by a bunch in CA who did not like ASA rules so they started their own organization and did it by as someone said, the "good ole boy system." See below listing of teams playing in the Premier Division specifically the invited ones:

18U Premier Division:

Returning Berths: So Cal Athletics, OC Batbusters Haning, Texas Glory, Beverly Bandits, East Cobb Bullets Schnute, Firecrackers Rico, Jersey Intensity, Gold Coast Hurricanes, Lady Lightning Gold, KC Peppers, Strike Force Guerra

Invited Teams: Rhode Island Thunder, Corona Angels Tyson, Sorcerers, Washington Ladyhawks, Birmingham Thunderbolts Gold, Grapettes Gold, Arizona Storm, So Cal Choppers, Atlanta Vipers Jennings, Team North Florida, Wichita Mustangs, Texas Impact Gold KC, Irvine Sting, Nebraska Gold, Cal Cruisers, Virginia Legends, Explosion, Minors Gold, NW Bullets, Texas Bombers Gold, Tennessee Fury Lewis

Qualified Teams: AZ Firecrackers Randy, Bownet, Georgia Impact Medlam, Williamsburg Starz, Aces Express, Texas Firecrackers May, Firecrackers DFW Gold Poole, Originals Bernholtz, DeMarini Zephyrs, Georgia Impact Pauly, Carolina Elite, Krunch Gold, So Cal Athletics Quarles, Firecrackers Blanco Gold, Batbusters Fox, AASA Merrida, AZ Killer Bees, New Mexico Sundancers, Beverly Bandits Team Premier

If I am not mistaken, Texas Impact Gold KC did not even play PGF last year, they played ASA. So PGF says hey come back and play for us and you don't even have to qualify.
I personally like earning things so I am an ASA fan for that reason.
sbparent12

Return to TX