TX

PGF 14U and 16U

by jmo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:45 am

Lone Staarr wrote:16u Texas Style

Blaze 4-2
Glory RWB 1-2
Glory Naudin 5-2
Impact Gold Jackson 1-2

What happened to the FC DFW Gold team. I guess they wanted to go win some gold at the JO cup?

I know the entry fee is expensive for PGF but it's a must play Nationals. This is where the best of the best play.

Entry fees:
JO Cup - $3500
Triple Crown - $2500
PGF. - $2100

Great for the sport to have options for teams at all levels and locations. It's about growing the game!! Of course I might be biased but the best competition and location is PGF!! If you want to be the best you have to beat the best!!
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by arkansassoftball » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:16u Texas Style

What happened to the FC DFW Gold team. I guess they wanted to go win some gold at the JO cup?.

FC DFW Gold went 0-2 in bracket at ASA JO Cup 16U... Lost to Tulsa Elite and Texas Glory Adkins.

Also, EC Bullets Biele finished 7th at ASA JO Cup and also finished 7th at PGF Premier 16U. So, maybe there was a few strong teams at JO Cup also.
arkansassoftball

by bleacherspy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:Texas softball at PGF... Not doing too hot!

PGF exposes every state's weakness! Texas needs to DO MORE WORK! Got a ways to go!

Texas teams actually did okay given the situation. Could they have done a little better? Sure, but there's a lot that goes into competing in Cali at an event like this. For one the competition at this year's PGF was among the best I have ever seen. Two, so much depends on your draw and this year there were a number of legit games right off the bat. Bombers Gold got Georgia Impact first game -- last year's runner up and they also brought and dressed 20+ for games, Sudden Impact got a good first game draw but had to face a tough NJ Intensity team in the second game (finished 13th last year and also dressed 20+ kids for this event). DFW Gold got FC Young first game, a team that had 25 girls dressed, some of which were not even in the FC org. All were brought in to help supplement holes in their "normal" team. Mizuno got a fairly easy draw first game and then had to face the same Georgia Impact team in their second game that bombers lost to in their first game. Blaze Bonola got two tough games back to back. First was Atlanta Vipers who they beat and second was Socal Choppers Faucett who they just lost to 2-1. Choppers went to the bracket semi and ended up losing Corona Angles (1-0) who then ended up in the champ game. Choppers had 27 dressed. Glory got a good first game and then had to face Bham Tbolts in the second game. Tbolts lost in bracket semi to Mercado who ended up winning it. Tbolts had a lot of girls dressed as well. So what's the point? The point is Texas teams tend to go out to CA with what they got and the other teams, especially the bigger ones from Socal tend to supplement their teams with talent to become deeper for the event. From what I could tell, SI, Blaze, and DFW Gold didn't supplement at all. The other thing you have to think about is the population differential. The population of the LA basin in around 18.7 million people. In Texas, you have to add together all the Metro areas of DFW (6.3), Houston (6.1), San Antonio (2.1), and Austin (1.7) just to get to 16.2 million. So just LA alone has about 15% more possible players than all of the major areas in Texas combined. If you break it down and look at it metro area vs metro area via a position mindset, then you could imply that for every legit player DFW has, LA has 3. The same holds for the Houston area. Move to San Antonio or Austin and LA has a 9 to one advantage per position. If you combined the best players from SI, Blaze, FC DFW Gold, Impact Gold, and Glory, then you probably have a team that competes very well and is on a level playing field with a lot of the teams in Cali. The talent is in Texas, but it is spread around and spread thin by geography and kids playing up too often. Very few kids play up in Socal and very few teams are not age pure teams; i.e. all '00s, '01s, etc.
bleacherspy

by Lone Staarr » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:28 pm

bleacherspy wrote:

PGF exposes every state's weakness! Texas needs to DO MORE WORK! Got a ways to go!

Texas teams actually did okay given the situation. Could they have done a little better? Sure, but there's a lot that goes into competing in Cali at an event like this. For one the competition at this year's PGF was among the best I have ever seen. Two, so much depends on your draw and this year there were a number of legit games right off the bat. Bombers Gold got Georgia Impact first game -- last year's runner up and they also brought and dressed 20+ for games, Sudden Impact got a good first game draw but had to face a tough NJ Intensity team in the second game (finished 13th last year and also dressed 20+ kids for this event). DFW Gold got FC Young first game, a team that had 25 girls dressed, some of which were not even in the FC org. All were brought in to help supplement holes in their "normal" team. Mizuno got a fairly easy draw first game and then had to face the same Georgia Impact team in their second game that bombers lost to in their first game. Blaze Bonola got two tough games back to back. First was Atlanta Vipers who they beat and second was Socal Choppers Faucett who they just lost to 2-1. Choppers went to the bracket semi and ended up losing Corona Angles (1-0) who then ended up in the champ game. Choppers had 27 dressed. Glory got a good first game and then had to face Bham Tbolts in the second game. Tbolts lost in bracket semi to Mercado who ended up winning it. Tbolts had a lot of girls dressed as well. So what's the point? The point is Texas teams tend to go out to CA with what they got and the other teams, especially the bigger ones from Socal tend to supplement their teams with talent to become deeper for the event. From what I could tell, SI, Blaze, and DFW Gold didn't supplement at all. The other thing you have to think about is the population differential. The population of the LA basin in around 18.7 million people. In Texas, you have to add together all the Metro areas of DFW (6.3), Houston (6.1), San Antonio (2.1), and Austin (1.7) just to get to 16.2 million. So just LA alone has about 15% more possible players than all of the major areas in Texas combined. If you break it down and look at it metro area vs metro area via a position mindset, then you could imply that for every legit player DFW has, LA has 3. The same holds for the Houston area. Move to San Antonio or Austin and LA has a 9 to one advantage per position. If you combined the best players from SI, Blaze, FC DFW Gold, Impact Gold, and Glory, then you probably have a team that competes very well and is on a level playing field with a lot of the teams in Cali. The talent is in Texas, but it is spread around and spread thin by geography and kids playing up too often. Very few kids play up in Socal and very few teams are not age pure teams; i.e. all '00s, '01s, etc.

Spy,

Yes looking back over the years Texas teams dont load up like other big orgs do. That is another huge advantage for Cali teams as they do not have to travel and dont have to make that extra expense. Just add them to the team and make sure they have different numbers and you have an intimidating army. And I know they are a great team anyway but at the 14U level OCBB Campbell loses first bracket game and goes all the way to the semi-finals. And I didnt see their run so dont know if they used the same 9 players every game but you can say they had two teams in uniform.

Plus playing at home, fans, homecooked meals, sleepimg in their own bed, hitting at their indoor facilities, etc., etc., It doesnt mean it wont be a different outcome because Cali has always proven to win no matter what yard they are playing at but it just makes it even tougher for out of state teams to win.

Texas teams and other out of state teams need to load up to compete at pgf or any other Nationals. Cali has been doing it for years. Parents need to buy in...
Lone Staarr

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:
bleacherspy wrote:

Spy,

Yes looking back over the years Texas teams dont load up like other big orgs do. That is another huge advantage for Cali teams as they do not have to travel and dont have to make that extra expense. Just add them to the team and make sure they have different numbers and you have an intimidating army. And I know they are a great team anyway but at the 14U level OCBB Campbell loses first bracket game and goes all the way to the semi-finals. And I didnt see their run so dont know if they used the same 9 players every game but you can say they had two teams in uniform.

Plus playing at home, fans, homecooked meals, sleepimg in their own bed, hitting at their indoor facilities, etc., etc., It doesnt mean it wont be a different outcome because Cali has always proven to win no matter what yard they are playing at but it just makes it even tougher for out of state teams to win.

Texas teams and other out of state teams need to load up to compete at pgf or any other Nationals. Cali has been doing it for years. Parents need to buy in...

OCBB-Campbell had 10 players with 99% of their ABs and 2 pitchers pitched all but 1 inning. You can see for yourself here: http://premiergirlsfp.bbstats.pointstre ... ting&bset=

14U was dominated by So Cal for the most part taking the top 3 spots (Tampa tied for 3rd as well).
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lone Staarr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:48 am

That's just amazing what the OCBB and Campbell did. What a run!

KUDOS big time to him, his team an coaches!

Got plenty of looks!
Lone Staarr

by Hurricane » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:40 pm

Wait! What? Campbell was actually coaching his own team? :mrgreen:
well, then definitely congrats to him and his TEAM.
Hurricane

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Hurricane wrote:Wait! What? Campbell was actually coaching his own team? :mrgreen:

I'm sure you have some basis for this comment, but I have never seen any of his teams coached by anyone else all the way back to his Victory USA days. I watched part or all of several of their PGF games and he was highly active, including being the 3rd base coach.

Along that lines I mentioned somewhere that I was very surprised to see that Tony Rico barely left the dugout during the PGF 18U games and seems to have taken more of an advisory role on that team, unlike in years passed.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:24 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Wait! What? Campbell was actually coaching his own team? :mrgreen:

I'm sure you have some basis for this comment, but I have never seen any of his teams coached by anyone else all the way back to his Victory USA days. I watched part or all of several of their PGF games and he was highly active, including being the 3rd base coach.

Along that lines I mentioned somewhere that I was very surprised to see that Tony Rico barely left the dugout during the PGF 18U games and seems to have taken more of an advisory role on that team, unlike in years passed.

It only takes once, FPDad05. Hence, my comment. He knows, too. You probably missed it.
Hurricane

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:39 pm

Hurricane wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

It only takes once, FPDad05. Hence, my comment. He knows, too. You probably missed it.

As I said, there is likely some basis to your comment. Perhaps he learned from that one experience?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to TX