Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

PGF 14U and 16U

by Lone Staarr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Texas softball at PGF... Not doing too hot!

Team Mizuno Impulse and Sudden Impact are playing now as I type this. At least one Texas team will continue forward.

Impact Gold Mata managed to win 4 games in the losers bracket. Good run but tough to make more noise after losing their first game. I believe things wouldve been different if they win that first bracket game.

Texas Glory 1-2
Firecrackers dfw Gold 2-2

PGF exposes every state's weakness! Texas needs to DO MORE WORK! Got a ways to go!
Last edited by Lone Staarr on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lone Staarr

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:Texas softball at PGF... Not doing too hot!

Team Mizuno Impulse and Sudden Impact are playing now as I type this. At least one Texas will continue forward.

Impact Gold Mata managed to win 4 games in the losers bracket. Good run but tough to make more noise after losing their first game. I believe things wouldve been different if they win that first bracket game.

Texas Glory 1-2
Firecrackers dfw Gold 2-2

PGF exposes every state's weakness! Texas needs to DO MORE WORK! Got a ways to go!

So Cal not immune either. I believe there are ZERO So Cal teams left heading into the 3rd day tomorrow for 16U Premier.

Granted they look very good at 14U Premier so no one needs to hit any panic buttons, but it is unusual not to see even one So Cal squad make it into the 3rd day.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lone Staarr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 pm

16u Texas Style

Blaze 4-2
Glory RWB 1-2
Glory Naudin 5-2
Impact Gold Jackson 1-2

What happened to the FC DFW Gold team. I guess they wanted to go win some gold at the JO cup?

I know the entry fee is expensive for PGF but it's a must play Nationals. This is where the best of the best play.
Lone Staarr

by Lone Staarr » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am

VERY odd no 16U SoCal team making it this far.
Lone Staarr

by jtat32 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:25 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
So Cal not immune either. I believe there are ZERO So Cal teams left heading into the 3rd day tomorrow for 16U Premier.

Granted they look very good at 14U Premier so no one needs to hit any panic buttons, but it is unusual not to see even one So Cal squad make it into the 3rd day.

SoCal did well in 18s, too, and that was the trend last year from what remember. How much of that is relative priorities at the different age groups? I'm no expert, but my impressions when we first started in travel, 16s was something of a dead division - the stud players moved straight from 14s to 18s to get recruited. About 3-4 years ago, 16s seemed to catch fire as a spot for unsigned players. Has 16s dropped in importance in SoCal in the last couple of years?
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:17 pm

jtat32 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

SoCal did well in 18s, too, and that was the trend last year from what remember. How much of that is relative priorities at the different age groups? I'm no expert, but my impressions when we first started in travel, 16s was something of a dead division - the stud players moved straight from 14s to 18s to get recruited. About 3-4 years ago, 16s seemed to catch fire as a spot for unsigned players. Has 16s dropped in importance in SoCal in the last couple of years?

My DD moved from 14U to 18U and I think in hindsight that was a mistake. I believe she would have been better off on an upper tier 16U team as that is where more scouts gravitate.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lone Staarr » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:36 pm

jtat32 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

Jtat,

I think you are on to something...

I see Mascarenas, Mercado, Tyson and Campbell all at the 14U level. It would be interesting to see if they move on to 16U or just send those elite players to 18U?
Lone Staarr

by Lone Staarr » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:44 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
jtat32 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

My DD moved from 14U to 18U and I think in hindsight that was a mistake. I believe she would have been better off on an upper tier 16U team as that is where more scouts gravitate.

FP,

I think you're right. IMO if you have not committed by 14U which is the majority of the players then yes I believe you should make the small jump to 16U and get as much exposure as you can. Helps with the development of the athlete also.

There are some special players that can make the jump to 18U from 14U but they should at least be verballed before they make the jump or a can't miss prospect.
Lone Staarr

by jtat32 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:My DD moved from 14U to 18U and I think in hindsight that was a mistake. I believe she would have been better off on an upper tier 16U team as that is where more scouts gravitate.

If I remember some of your previous posts correctly, your DD and my older one were the same grad year (2015). It seemed like the recruiting age group was dropping as they were coming up. The obvious move for them, at least here (NorCal), was to move straight to 18s. I seem to remember some of her stud ex-teammates moving up to 18s as second year 14s. By the time my younger DD (2017) came through the ranks, most of the stud players went to 16s.

We were never went down the recruiting route - neither of my girls wanted to play in college, and neither of them were slam-dunk D1 talents, so I'm no expert. That said, that route seemed to be a moving target when our girls were in their formative years, so the decision about what age group to play in wasn't particularly obvious.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:FP,

I think you're right. IMO if you have not committed by 14U which is the majority of the players then yes I believe you should make the small jump to 16U and get as much exposure as you can. Helps with the development of the athlete also.

There are some special players that can make the jump to 18U from 14U but they should at least be verballed before they make the jump or a can't miss prospect.

Agreed, whether you're chasing a scholarship or playing just because you love the game (as my girls were).
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to TX