Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Drills for pitcher speed

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by Capone » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Any drills you recommend for helping with increasing pitching speed? I know no magic answer or drill. I hear people recommend long toss and weightlifting to get stronger. Mixed reviews on weighted balls.

Thanks in advance.
Capone

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Hip thrusts (a.k.a) Glute bridges, huge exercise for pitchers, along with DL's and front squats..... Aside from the obvious weight training portion for building speed. Arm whip development, that is number one in my books.

However, it has to be the result of hip drive. now you can create arm-whip without hip drive but you limit the threshold of speed when you do that. Developing the mechanics of vertical stacking, basically producing power from the ground up should be your strongest fundamental....So that being said don't focus on weighted balls or anything that isolates the upper body or just the arm you wont develop speed that way...

I recommend doing a lot of throwing from the sideways position(open) using bands on the legs(can't stress that enough), half circle only so she is forced to develop arm whip. Remain open thru delivery, lead with your elbow, brush the leg with your pinky, and finish pointing with your thumb...... Repeat over and over, lots and lots of sets, focus on the ground up!!! Sprints, box jumps, burpees these all help as well.

Hope this helps and remember, learning to produce power from the ground up will allow your athlete to reach their max potential regardless if they are a good athlete or not, so essentially they become the best they can be thru mechanics...
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Capone » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Thank you! Do you do the half circle throws on same days that you pitch? Trying to do some form of pitching 5 days a week
Capone

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Honestly sideways half circles should be done everyday....She can throw all her pitches from that position FYI, it will help perfect her throwing and help her understand ground up mechanics..... I was taught by the Yoda master lol, that if you get good throwing at the half circle you will be great when you go all the way around. A philosophy that has stuck with me throughout the years!! Good luck if you are in Orange County Cali and want some instruction feel free to reach out to me..
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Capone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:35 am

I’m not in Orange County. Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it!
Capone

by Softball_with_Margo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 am

Here is a drill you can do: https://youtu.be/4id3f79GEXc
Softball_with_Margo

Return to Tip & Drills