Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Throwing/Tossing a Ball

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by Cannonball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:28 am

Some things we overlook in practice can be the difference between winning and losing a game.
For example, do you work on the following:

• Do you work on the appropraite range for a player to throw the ball and/or toss the ball? We say that if fielding the ball, as a second baseman, takes you at the 1st baseman, and you're approaching an area 10-15 feet, then it is flip. Think about it, if the player winds up to throw, the 1st baseman gets defensive and may turn away from the ball.
  • How often do you work on the pitcher and either 3rd or 1st arriving at the ball at exactly the same time, have to decide who makes the throw, and then has the other player ready to react to backing up a base?
  • How many work on a "dead leg" with their ss in the hole, pitcher fielding a ball on the 3rd base line with a fast runner going to 1st, 3rd baseman catching a ball in the hole, and 2B catching a ball up the middle? Dead leg is defined as fielding the ball where you have to plant and throw quickly. Typically, you teach plant the foot, keep the knee flexed and throw the ball. We ask that a player never "miss" high and we tell our 1st baseman to expect low throws.
  • How often does your catcher do all of their throws in practice. Yes, most of us practice them throwing to 2nd or 3rd. However, how about the dropped 3rd strike? How about the bunted ball down the 3rd baseline where they are going to have to spin? How about the popup running away from the plate and towards the 3rd base dugout where a runner might try to tag and advance?
  • Finally, how many practice a "bare hand" pickup when the fielder has dropped the ball? We do this and require all players to yell, "bare hand" to remind the player not to use the glove.

Well, I wanted to post some stuff on here to get this portion of the site up and running. Any thoughts/comments are welcomed.

Take care!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by The Viking » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:51 pm

everything you said makes alot of sense.the hardest thing is trying to get head coach to accept some of these and work them into the practice.anyway well said cannonball.........
The Viking

by sbdad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Delete
Last edited by sbdad on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbdad

by Cannonball » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:52 pm

sbdad, Vikings' child plays in a very good program. They are well respected in our area (St. Louis) and do a lot of winning. I live on the east side of the Mississippi River or what is known as the Metro East. However, our teams have run into each other a few times. sbdad, per myself, I was a head coach in our high school baseball program for several years. We averaged 24 wins per year for the past 9 years. Despite being the smallest school in our regionals, we won 4 regional and one sectional championship. The schools that eliminated us each year were more than twice as big as us. I was also an assistant coach in a very successful program for several more years. I have coached in over 600 wins at the varsity level and have coached a few state championship teams. Two of those teams were also rated, via various publications, as the #1 team in the U.S.A. Naturally, having said all of this, the truth behind our success has always been the kids. (BTW, I resigned my baseball position so that I can watch my dd play high school ball. She's a freshman this year.)

Viking, yes, getting someone to take the time for fundamentals is important but sometimes overlooked. There are several ways of doing this that can be done quickly and yet, will aid practice.

Since this is the "drill" forum, here is more to think about.

Create 2 areas that face opposite directions. They must be spaced approximately 25 feet apart. In area #1 put a yard stick (young players) or a bat (older players) on the ground 60-70 feet from a screen that has markings on it for a target. Have each player in this line have a ball but one. The one that doesn't have a ball goes up and stands beside but at a safe distance from, the screen. Place a ball on the ground about 2 feet in front of the yardstick/bat. The players in this line step forward one at a time as if they are stepping forward into fielding position as the pitcher throws the ball. Then, they charge the ball on the ground. They must step over the yardstick/bat with one foot to "gather the ball in." They don’t actually touch the ball on the ground and, in fact, have a ball already in their gloves. They work on their staggered footwork on fielding the ball, then, they work on their footwork on the throw by now stepping over that yardstick/bat with their back foot, point their lead elbow at their target and throw. The thrower now sprints to the position next to the screen but to the side where they are safe. The person that was standing there picks up that ball and begins to spring to Area #2. In doing so, the pause, after they are clear of Area #1 and throw a fly ball to the fielder leaving Area #2 to go to Area #1. Wow is this getting confusing.

Area #2. This is a ground ball station. The player that has entered Area #2 is at the end of the line after they throw a fly ball to the fielder leaving Area #2 to go to Area #1. The first person in line now steps up for a live ground ball. They are expected to field the ball using the technique they worked on in Area #1, set their feet, and throw to a coach who if “shagging” for the coach hitting fungos. We expect every throw to hit the coach with the glove in the chest. After the fielder makes the throw to the coach, they spring in the direction of Area #1 and look for the fly ball being thrown to them. After they catch the ball, they get into the end of the line for Area #1.

If done properly, this is a good warm up drill.

We then go from this drill into what we call “Double Infield” and then to “Multiple Infield.” I don’t believe in hitting the typical infield where one player fields while the others stand and watch.

Wow, I hope all of this makes sense!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

Cannonball

by sbdad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:19 am

Delete
Last edited by sbdad on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbdad

by The Viking » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Wow, someone is taking offense to this post.Nobody is blaming anybody and nobody is knocking anybody either.Cannonball said some great game situations that happen alot during a game.Fundamentals should always be practiced but at the same time just hitting ground balls and pop flys to the girls and not putting a situation with it will only go so far. As the competition gets stronger and smarter so must the girls.People like Cannonball are a great contribution to the game of fastpitch,theres so much more to it than just playing.
Last edited by The Viking on Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Viking

by sbdad » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:35 am

Delete
Last edited by sbdad on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbdad

by The Viking » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:04 pm

sbdad,I think it was perfectly clear what I was talking about.Can you maybe be a little clearer what you might of thought the post was about.Your not a coach but certainly didn't hessitate to jump in on a post.I just wonder if your the same kind of parent you descibed in your 2nd post.
The Viking

by sbdad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 am

Well I have deleted all of my post. I knew when you did not answere my questions you were just bashing a coach for no reason.

I have nothing to be angry about, my daughter is on a great team and has a great coach. You are the person attacking a coach.

It will come back to you eventually because apparently you, Cannonball and the coach all know each other.

I will not respond anymore to anyone bashing coaches for no reason.
sbdad

by Cannonball » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:21 am

sbdad wrote:Well I have deleted all of my post. I knew when you did not answere my questions you were just bashing a coach for no reason.

I have nothing to be angry about, my daughter is on a great team and has a great coach. You are the person attacking a coach.

It will come back to you eventually because apparently you, Cannonball and the coach all know each other.

I will not respond anymore to anyone bashing coaches for no reason.

sbdad, I don't know "The Viking" and also don't know the coach his daughter plays for either in HS or during the summer. We've play against them maybe once since my girl moved up. I do know the reputation of the program (summer team) she plays on. I don't have any idea where The Viking lives but at best since I live on the east side of the Mississippi River in Illinois, we probably live at least 40-50 miles apart.

I don't think either one of you were out of line. I think it is often hard to understand one's intentions via this medium. I also don't think the two of you are that much different. Two parents who support their children and care enough to seek out information to better serve them. That's a great quality. JMHO!

Cannonball

Next

Return to Tip & Drills