Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

VERY Basic Drills Needed

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by Coach11 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 am

Need you guys to reach WAY back into your bag of tricks.

I commission the local Little League softball program for 2nd and 3rd grade girls.

Each year I put together a few clinics to try and teach the girls the fundamentals of the game.

I have a good number of drills compiled, but I'm always looking for more. I try and rotate groups of 4-5 girls through 8-10 stations.

Would love some FUN, age appropriate fielding drills in particular.
Coach11

by Coach11 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 am

A site dedicated to girls fastpitch softball and NOBODY has a drill worth sharing?

Come on people.....ask your daughters what drills they enjoyed when younger if necessary!
Coach11

by NumeroUno » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:23 am

Arto pull something out of your bag for the man.

Split them up into teams depending on how many kids

Example:
If you have 20 kids 4 lines of five, put 4 balls about 40 feet away the kids at the front of the line have to run pick up the ball and bring it back to the next girl in line, a little relay race with some competition will make it fun.

You can also put a group at second and a group at home, second has to get to home before home gets to second. You can also make that a relay

After they warm up get them all about 20 feet apart throwing the ball back and forth, see who can make the most throws before they drop it.

I know Arto use to put a stuffed bear on a bucket and see if the girls can throw a ball and knock it off

good luck

Happy Good Friday to all
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by artomatic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

If you can get an ACE coaches manuel, they have a lot of really basic information for the new players.
I found this, and there aren't drills, but there's stuff you can use.:
http://responsiblesports.com/responsible_coaching/coaching__xs_and_os_and_beyond/softball_xs_and_os.aspx

We always used to run the old bucket drill.
line the girls up about 20 ft away in a line.
sit on a bucket and roll balls towards the line as they move towards the ball. they start with no gloves, and pick up the balls and run by you and drop the balls in the bucket.
then they do this with gloves.
Make sure to stop and correct their fielding positions, bent knees, etc.
Tell them to field like an airplane landing (getting lower as they reach the ball) instead of a helicopter (dropping suddenly at the end).
This also provides conditioning as they are constantly running.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:09 pm

ontheblack

by 3rd Base Coach » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 am

Coach 11

I just saw your post today by mistake - I touched the 'wrong' key.

If you still need drills for 7-18 yr olds, just email me at dclark7999@msn.com

I have been coaching for 50+ yrs and just retired for the final time last month. There are members of Hey Bucket who can confirm my experience : 'Sam', ANONLOOKER, the original 'Bart' and a few others. I would be glad to share my drills. A few I even invented myself.
Running, warm up, fielding and situations.

Or just P M me - email is best.

Dave Dynasty Gold (20 yrs) Http://www.eteamz.com/dynastygold
Marymount H S (the last 7) http://www.eteamz.com/marymount
3rd Base Coach

by Joe Dirt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 pm

DC, I also stumbled on this by accident. I know we haven't seen each other in a while but I gotta tell you, I feel left out on your list. Lol. I can also vouch for 3rd base coach. If he offers, take him up on it. He knows what he is talking about it.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
Joe Dirt

by bart16761 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:05 pm

I like this one girl facing away from you coach yells ball - coach throws ball either above the waist or below.. of course after the kid spins around and they have to get their glove in the right position either above the waist or below little time to think makes it automatic after awhile.
Good luck
bart16761
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rofoto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Football drill

Have girl run a post pattern away from coach. When they pass a cone have them turn and look for the ball. Coach QB throws a pass before they reach the cone. The ball should be thrown so they catch it on the run. I like doing this barehanded with a tennis ball for younger kids.

Once the get the hang of it teach them drop step.

For little kids I use hard snap counts and have them go on the 'snap' it's a loud drill with lots of running. Great to turn into a contest.
rofoto

Return to Tip & Drills