Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Developing More Power

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by Leftoutfield » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:25 am

Anybody have any home drills/training aids to help develop a more powerful swing? DD is 85 pounds, first year 12U and swings a 31/19 to help with batspeed. Do soft toss, t drills, pro-glider bat at home as well as weekly hitting lessons and use of heavy ball hitting in team practices and EM strength and agility training. Any other ideas from those that have been there and had a small framed DD?
Leftoutfield

by rlblue82 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:28 pm

The first step in building "power" is having the correct swing. A swing where your lower body does most of the work for the batter. Once the swing is down, using practice balls such as the "Total Control Ball" will teach the batter to swing through once contact is made. This will increase both power and the exit speed of the ball once hit... Using a combination of heavy balls as well as using a "Tee" for technique will greatly improve hitting power...
rlblue82

by Mark H » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:37 pm

I would agree the focus should be on mechanics. Approach and the mental side are important but won't do much good without a quick and efficient swing. You get the inefficiencies mostly removed and the power will take care of itself. I don't care how far you hit it. I care how often you hit it far. Far in this case defined as doubles or better. Doubles change everything.

I say a "quick" swing. I'm defining that as the elapsed time from first move of the bat head into the swing plane till contact. If that's not .17 seconds or less you aren't likely to do well against the best pitching. Reason for that is, you will have to start your swing so early you will get fooled a lot once pitchers start throwing hard, changing speeds and spins and locating.

So define quick and efficient. I'd say it's the swing used by the best rbi middle of the order hitters at the highest levels of baseball and softball. Especially the smaller ones who have proven they can flourish at the highest levels. You can google up Siggys hitting to see some examples. If you want to know who I think teaches that best, just ask.
Mark H

by Mark H » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:23 pm

I should add it's not about this drill or that training aid/gadget. It's about understanding the goal. Any drill can be perverted if you don't understand the goal. Weekly lessons should be about educating your daughter to be her own coach. I'd strongly suggest comparing anything anyone says about hitting to slow motion video of elite hitters. You can start with the Siggys hitting clips and go from there. I'd suggest the odds are you will find your daughter being taught things elite hitters don't do.
Mark H

by Softball_with_Margo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:08 am

Best way to add power is to see her swing: I do video analysis and would love to help for free! please email if you are interested: mostarticki@yahoo.com
Softball_with_Margo

Return to Tip & Drills