Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Warmups????

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by Hey17 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 am

I'm looking for a new warmup routine for practice/games. We currently do some dynamic warmups but I would like to change it up a little. Any good ideas or free softball sites you can recommend would be appreciated.
Hey17
Premium Member
Premium Member

by RetiredDI » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am

From many courses I've taken in college, static stretching is a NO-NO. Keep your dynamic warm up, below is the routine I make my teams go through.

Line drills:
• jog a lap
• lunges - but as the player strides out tell them to do an over exaggerated throwing motion. Continue this all the way down. The throwing motion warms the arm up for, throwing, obviously.
• side skips
• side lunges - but have the player stretch to one side then the other, then squat & jump sideways. Nothing to extreme. Simply warming up the calves, quads & stretching the inside of the legs.
• walk down while pulling their foot to their bottom, continue while switching legs. On the way back down do butt-kick.
• walk down pull each leg one at a time to their chest. On the way back down do high knees. Encourage your players to take as many steps as possible with quick feet.
• inch worm
• Frankenstein down, then reverse Frankenstein - place hands on ground, kick one leg up towards the sky, rotate legs all the way down.

I then have my athletes get into 2 staggered lines, I have my players do quick feet (like the basketball drill). We work on explosive side to side movement mimicking fielding a ground ball. We then do our drop steps.

Not sure if this help's you any.
RetiredDI

Return to Tip & Drills