Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Bunting Defense

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by B34R DOWN » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 pm

I am relatively new to coaching softball, so I need some help. My DD is moving up to 10U Rec Fall Ball and I will be taking a team (they must be desperate... lol)...

So my question is should we have the 1st basemen stay on 1st and not crash or have her crash and let the 2nd basemen cover 1st? I know in 8U we kept it simple and let the 1st basemen stay as she was normally the best girl at catching a throw. I know skill level of the infielders will be a key factor, but I always wondered why the 3rd basemen, pitcher, and catcher aren't enough people to cover all areas of a bunt.

Thanks in advance for any input...
B34R DOWN

by B34R DOWN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:56 am

:?:
B34R DOWN

by rfmnz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:11 am

Depends on skill level of players, IMO. Each situation is different, but at the league my dd plays at we have to rotate girls into different positions so they don't play OF or sit the entire game. 2nd base is usually the position coaches choose to rotate those players in at. That being said, think you have to size up who ever is playing 2B and decide if she is better at fielding/throwing or setting up & catching the ball.
Last edited by rfmnz on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rfmnz

by hit4power » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 am

Any reason not to start by having F3 stay at the bag since that seems to be your inclination and see how it goes?

OTOH, why not use Rec ball to teach all the players the right way to do things (meaning having F3 crash and F4 cover 1B in most cases) so they are better prepared for the older/higher levels of play? You might not win as many games, but heck, it's Rec League, it should be about instruction more than winning,... ;)
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for the ideas... I would rather teach them the right way even at the expense of a few errors or losses... Just always wondered why F3 crashes when the pitcher and catcher would be closer on any bunt that isn't more then 8' straight down 1st base line... I try to keep the game simple because like someone said I will be rotating girls to different positions that might not be as experienced... Just torn as to when is too much or not enough.
B34R DOWN

by CatcherDad99 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 pm

There are always more than one "right way". To me the right way is the way that works best for your team. Some colleges run unconventional bunt defences even. We saw this in the world series this year. Look at your team and see what works best. You can even have them work both ways and call one "red" and one "blue" bunt defence. Make one the norm and if you feel its not working change it mid game. My point is don't conform to what works best for one team. Learn all your options and use what works best for the girls you have.
CatcherDad99
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks... I guess my biggest fear as a new coach/manager is teaching the girls wrong... I will cross this bridge once we get there... Again I appreciate all the feedback...
B34R DOWN

by PitchersDad99 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:38 pm

I think rec. ball is the perfect time to cross that bridge. If players come out of rec. with bunting skills and the knowledge of how to cover a bunt they would make the transition to travel ball much less mystifying. As a coach of a 10u team I could always use 9 players who could bunt (offense or defense). Simply because, if the other team has a good pitcher (in 10u that means she throws fast) I could always switch to small ball and get the other teams defense moving. Conversely if my team understood how to cover bunts then we could minimize the possible damage. Note that in 10u generally having any defensive players moving around can make for opportunities no matter how good they are.

As far as defense, it matters more of what the situation is. Things like lefty or righty, where or if any runners are on base, score of the game, how much time is left, is it an elimination game, can my pitcher effectively throw in on the hands or up in the zone, can my pitcher cover the bunt on the first base side, what the tendencies are of the other coach in that type of situation, etc......

The best teacher is experience and that experience is cheap in rec. The move to travel will hold more scrutiny for every decision you make as a coach.
PitchersDad99

by hit4power » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:00 pm

I think rec. ball is the perfect time to cross that bridge. If players come out of rec. with bunting skills and the knowledge of how to cover a bunt they would make the transition to travel ball much less mystifying. As a coach of a 10u team I could always use 9 players who could bunt (offense or defense). Simply because, if the other team has a good pitcher (in 10u that means she throws fast) I could always switch to small ball and get the other teams defense moving.

Spot on!
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sotolini » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Get the youngsters used to crashing and 2B covering. The sooner they learn, the better. Catching the ball on the run and tagging with the left foot, in stride, can be tough for a youngster BUT how cool will they look when they finally execute it!!! Plus if the bunt goes down first base side, the 1B can always field and tag runner, especially with runners on...
sotolini
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Tip & Drills