Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Increasing Running Speed

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by RiddleSoftball » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:42 am

Anybody have any good drills / exercise that my daughter (11 yr old) could use to try and increase her overall running speed? PLMK
RiddleSoftball

by GSB » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I found that by placing one of these in front of DD, it increased her speed by 10 fold.
Attachments
donutonstring.jpg
donutonstring.jpg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 14715 times
To each their own.
GSB

by carolinafan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Try having her run down steep hills. This will help her to increase her stride and in order not to fall, she will have to move her feet very quickly. I did lots of these in HS and College and my coaches told me it was to increase speed.

For safety reasons, go on grass and not pavement for obvious reasons :o
carolinafan

by carolinafan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:23 pm

That is brutal on the hips, knees, and ankles

Maybe that is why I needed an osteotomy when I was in my 30s! :o
carolinafan

by Wooahhhh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:37 am

I just went thru this with my first year 14u dd. In an area like Central Florida, there are several companies that specialize in athletic training, agility, flexibility, and strenghth. My kid ran too flat footed and upright. Search for one of these companies or possibly go and talk to the HS track coach. See if there are any running groups that have a certain sports store that they go to for track/running stuff, that store will know people who train runners/running. I found a former baseball player that worked in physical therapy, specializing in athletes that wanted to get back on the field. DD was put through a bunch of drills to teach her to lean correctly, push harder with the butt muscles for more power, increased her abs strength, improved (leaning) posture and mechanics of running. There are trainers out there that can give her drills. I think she has shaved of .2 seconds, from 3.5 down to 3.3 seconds from home to first. That's just over 3' faster, so it was worth the $50/hour in two lessons. PM if you want more info.
Wooahhhh

by TShark » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 am

GSB wrote:I found that by placing one of these in front of DD, it increased her speed by 10 fold.

I think I will try this on some of my players to obtain max desire
TShark

by etx bd » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:05 am

Just simply getting stronger will help. Any exercise that gets her up on the balls of her feet. Sitting with legs extended and pushing against resistance with the balls of the feet is particularly good. Then just convincing them to run up on her toes. I still catch DD running flat footed occasionally. Also make sure she is using her arms properly. She should be pumping her arms straight up and down fists traveling from hip to cheek. Amazing how many girls just don't do that but kind of wave their arms side to side. Good luck.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books
etx bd

by pbj2000 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:52 am

GSB wrote:I found that by placing one of these in front of DD, it increased her speed by 10 fold.

you mean everyone doesn't do this? if all else fails...exchange the donut for a $$
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

by KekambuS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 am

Alot of Dryland / Plyometrix.This helps with everything. We have the team do this 1 / 2 times a week. I have seen the difference.
KekambuS

by coolstuff » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 am

I was told by an athletic trainer that one way is to do a lot of lunges to build up strength. When DD was in gymnastics, she did a LOT of lunges. Like 50 lunges every time she went to the gym, and she was at the gym three times a week. Her home to 1st time is under 3.0. So there you go.
coolstuff

Next

Return to Tip & Drills