Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Friday Trivia

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm

PDad wrote:
jtat32 wrote:Ah yes, the bitter rivalry
or not.

Not - they reconciled fairly quickly and Young seems to regret the tone of his songs that triggered it, "Southern Man" and "Alabama."

In his 2012 autobiography Waging Heavy Peace, Young commented on the controversy writing "I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue"

Since it's Friday again, what song did Neil Young give Lynyrd Skynyrd to record? Sadly, they never did, as this was just before the plane crash

Trivia Answer:
After the release of "Sweet Home Alabama," Neil Young wrote several songs for Lynyrd Skynyrd as means of reconciliation, including his eventual standby "Powderfinger." However, the band had their infamous plane crash before they could use the songs, and Young ended up keeping them for himself.

Thank God for Google
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:Thank God for Google

Yep! 8-)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:04 pm

PDad wrote:

Yep! 8-)

I was hoping that someone might answer that question from personal knowledge, or with an anecdote like "I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Santa Monica Civic in 1974," but that will never happen because most parents on this Board weren't born yet! :lol:
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
PDad wrote:

Yep! 8-)

I was hoping that someone might answer that question from personal knowledge, or with an anecdote like "I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Santa Monica Civic in 1974," but that will never happen because most parents on this Board weren't born yet! :lol:

My favorite band of all time
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:15 pm

NumeroUno wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
PDad wrote:

Yep! 8-)

My favorite band of all time

The first of the 3 lead guitar bands that I remember. Loved the Outlaws, too. Skynyrd was supposed to share the bill with Aerosmith in the summer of 1976 at Anaheim Stadium, but they didn't show up, I never heard why. Pissed me off. Never got to see them with Ronnie VanZant..
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
PDad wrote:

Yep! 8-)

Are you also jtat32?

Kinda hard to have personal knowledge about that - name a song that was given to an artist, but they never used it. It's far more likely a very serious Neil Young fan would know that then a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan.

FWIW, I was in HS at that time. I remember the first time I ran across a teammate's parent that was born after I graduated...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:42 pm

PDad wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:
PDad wrote:

Yep! 8-)

Are you also jtat32?

Kinda hard to have personal knowledge about that - name a song that was given to an artist, but they never used it. It's far more likely a very serious Neil Young fan would know that then a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan.

FWIW, I was in HS at that time. I remember the first time I ran across a teammate's parent that was born after I graduated...

Who dat?
No, when I said personal knowledge, I meant knowing the answer without looking it up. You're right, definitely a Neil Young fan type question, of which I never was. Hearing him play lead guitar was like somerun running their fingernails accross a chalkboard, Good songwriter though.
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:46 pm

PDad wrote:Are you also jtat32?

Nope, that certainly wasn't me - I assumed that it was probably a Google question. It's an interesting song in regard to how it has been interpreted and misinterpreted over the years. You filled in part of that story, which is what I was hoping for. I loved the song as a kid, but always had a hard time with the George Wallace reference - it wasn't until later that I figured out the "Boo! Boo! Boo!" after it.

Politics aside, it's a great song and maybe the best recorded example of a pure Stratocaster tone.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:02 am

I was a senior in HS (PA) when Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crashed & Me & 2 other buddies wore arm bands. I did see Rossington Collins (the surviving members) in Birmingham about 3 years later.

Here's my Friday night trivia
But I digress thanks to jtat32...... to Slick Rick James that "Super Freak" that he was, I remember back in '91 going up to his house in the Hollywood Hills just off Mullholland after Bar 1 closed, It was a Monday night & there were a little over 2 dozen people (not including Ricks obvious Drug Dealers with their body guards) about even mix of men & women, couple of actors & actress with TV shows running, a couple of models ....standard nightclub crowd. We were all in the Living room/kitchen area & Rick was with his 2 girlfriends freebasing in the bedroom, he'd come out every 30 to 45 minutes wide eyed & wacked out of his mind. :lol: Me & my oldest DD's God Father left when the booze was gone, I'll never forget we were mixing Kahlua & Root Beer cuz that was all that was left. :lol: A day & a half later Rick's binge ended & he was arrested shortly after for torture & imprisonment for 1 of his 2 girls (the 3 of them were all over Hwood too before that) & he did 5 years in jail for that. What I heard from a reliable source was the young Armenian girls father was real strict & despite being a willing, crack smoking participant, he took her to the cops who had her flip on Rick.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:24 pm

jtat32 wrote:... It's an interesting song in regard to how it has been interpreted and misinterpreted over the years. You filled in part of that story, which is what I was hoping for. I loved the song as a kid, but always had a hard time with the George Wallace reference - it wasn't until later that I figured out the "Boo! Boo! Boo!" after it.

Yeah, the next line - Now we all did what we could do - indicates they tried getting Wallace's opponent elected. Ronnie certainly wasn't defending the racist policies - he was offended by Neil painting all southerners as racist.

"We thought Neil was shooting all the ducks in order to kill one or two," said Ronnie Van Zant at the time.

One of the reasons many people didn't realize it was that Rick James with the Mynah Birds was the multitude of names he used back then. I looked it up after your earlier post and found out he was living under aliases because he was AWOL from the Navy. He ended up serving a year in jail/prison after the band's recently fired manager ratted him out to the Motown label.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Pub