Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

IS THERE SUCH A THING?

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Battle » Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Is there such a thing as Pre-Empty Nest Syndrome? I've always thought about the day that my daughter would be in college but I never really gave much thought to the days leading up to it. I'm finding myself wanting to spend all my time with her but I see that she has other plans and It just makes me a little sad. Did any of you feel that way?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Pale Rider » Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm

I think...its called real life...we dont remember it...But there is life not at the softball field...HAS to be...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Sun May 18, 2014 8:07 pm

My DW certainly felt that way. OTOH, I enjoyed the last season of HS ball and then TB. The college deal was done, DD enjoyed her last season of HS ball and did well, and TB was way less stress than prior years. I had the chance to talk to DD about college life in general and to watch her start to "create some space" between herself and her parents. I also was looking forward to having more time for golf and some hunting. Now that she's two years into college (OMG, halfway) it's all good. We have great conversations about a lot of different things, and it's really cool to reflect on how she has grown from HS days. She will be driving cross country with a teammate for her summer job next week and has already lined up her strength training, hitting practice, etc. for the summer. Do I miss being a part of all that - you bet - but when I listen to other parents complain about their kids being home for the summer with no plans/no job, it just makes me realize how great my kid is. Sounds like yours is headed the same way...
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon May 19, 2014 8:22 am

DD is just finished junior year and my son is graduating HS and is heading towards college. DW and I are fired up!! Looking forward to taking vacations off-peak

remember my DD's pre-college summer. DW was all sad, DD was such a pain that by the end of the summer my wife was like "bye, bye"
jonriv

by Lunatic Fringe » Mon May 19, 2014 8:48 am

Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, I'm free at last!

:D

This is the eve of turning the page for my DW and I. The thought of it is a little confusing, but I'm sure we will cope just fine. At least we are excited about the possibilities whatever they are. I know that you never stop worrying about your kids so we are trying to worry less. I know all be very happy when she physically gets to University and very very happy when she finishes her first term (and she still has her academic scholarships) and freakin' ecstatic when her athletic scholorship gets renewed.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by Lunatic Fringe » Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 am

Battle,

To answer your question, I found myself baking the sun yesterday at TB practice and going to hitting lessions once a week because she asks me to go. How can I say "no" to that, even though I have other things I'd like to do with my Sunday afternoon? I just can't, knowing that it will all be over very soon. I share your pain, my brother
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by DonnieS » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 am

I definitely felt it too - and the park we practiced in for so many years is across the street. Bunches of little bow headed girls practice there now - when I am home, I love to watch them and think about all the time my girls and I spent there practicing, playing, etc.

But for the 'leaving the nest thing' , I had a bit of an advantage in this - in that my oldest daughter, left to join the USMC many years ago , 18 years ago, and I went through every kind of worry and fear when that happened, and so when the younger girls went off to play ball in college, the thing that went through my head was , 'at least, no one is shooting at them'. But I miss them a lot - they are home now, as of a week ago, but I am not - I dont get home every weekend so I do enjoy it when I'm there.

I have a hilarious picture of the day the girls left for school together, let me put it this way, it was not a prolonged good bye - they were running and jumping and laughing all the way to the car. I could hear the music banging as they drove off.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Tue May 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Well I always knew the time would come but I didn't realize it would be this soon. I am very proud of her though.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Safebyahare » Tue May 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Battle, you are a fortunate and lucky man. you must have a wonderful daughter.
My dd was not so wonderful and I was happy when she left. She was a 50/50,,,meaning 50% good things and 50% of things I dislike and a pain to boot. She was also going to a college only an hour away. (no big deal)
Now like a booger that I can't flick off my finger she is back,,,for summer. bonus round 1#.
It's not the end,,it's just a new chapter, and this one is even better!
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu May 29, 2014 7:47 pm

...sort of like when people ask me what do I do on weekends we aren't at a tournament?
I tell them I drive 500 miles out...throw a $20 out the window every time the song changes on the radio...
Just so I'll feel normal...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Pub