Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Unions?

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Didnt say female sports...

College athletes ...stipend...yes / no?...Elaborate.

Don't know if it qualifies as a stipend but even softball players at some/most D1 schools get money every month to pay for room and board. That is on top of books and tuition and tutors. After rent, utilities, food and gas my kid had hundreds left over to spend every month. I feel that is adequate/appropriate. The amount should probably be a function of the cost of living in a given area - SoCal athletes should get more than U of OKL athletes.

Semi-Conscious Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:

Don't know if it qualifies as a stipend but even softball players at some/most D1 schools get money every month to pay for room and board. That is on top of books and tuition and tutors. After rent, utilities, food and gas my kid had hundreds left over to spend every month. I feel that is adequate/appropriate. The amount should probably be a function of the cost of living in a given area - SoCal athletes should get more than U of OKL athletes.

Semi-Conscious Squirrel

You're talking about the ones that live off campus and it sounds like your DD lived within her means. Some of the guys crying about going hungry simply didn't manage their money and the same thing will happen no matter how much more they get.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:06 pm

PDad wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:

Semi-Conscious Squirrel

You're talking about the ones that live off campus and it sounds like your DD lived within her means. Some of the guys crying about going hungry simply didn't manage their money and the same thing will happen no matter how much more they get.

Thing is the athletes complaining most are the students with full rides i.e football and men's basketball.

I've spent a ton of time the last 4 years with college baseball players most are not on scholarship. It just isn't happening like it is portrayed in the news. They take care of their stipend and us parents would help as needed. Of course they struggle they are students learning and finding their way. You guys think it's a demographic issue? Maybe people are afraid to admit it!
tbjd33

by jonriv » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Football and bb are loudest because they bring in the $$. Many of these at some of the big programs are barely students. The one and done in basketball is equally a joke. Maybe it's time for football and basketball to pay for their own minor league (like baseball and hockey) and leave college sports to college students. Maybe the ivies, patriot leage and the academies have had it right all along
jonriv

by exD1dad » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:34 am

Union worker numbers have been dropping year after year for over a decade. I have very mixed feelings on this topic & will drag in a whole nother topic too.

Pro Football & BB will never subsidize NCAA despite it truly being the "minor leagues". They don't have to because they'll just stand on the sidelines & let the colleges fight it out with their attorneys & the Nc2A's as well. The lawyers are always the big winners.

Pale Rider I'm not sure if you're old enough or followed college sports that were totally eliminated through Title IX (look it up) which has given opportunities to countless female athletes. It is a fact major universities eliminated many entire teams & now many bit time schools have up to a dozen less teams, Alabama for instance has 15 teams. My DD's HS has 31 different teams. When I wrestled at James Madison U in the late '70's we had 26 teams , now they have 17 & no wrestling. They will point out where the money goes (not all of it) say all the great things they do blah blah blah

I bring this up because this is what Universities will say.

As a vested Union member I know more than your average Joe. It takes capital to start a Union, how will athletes pay dues?, well, from their paychecks. I think it's all talk, worthy of a conversation, yes but colleges will always say Student/Athlete whether it's appropriate or not.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:31 am

Old enough...Im 52 :|
I know what Title 9 is...and whats its done...Here its a Godsend

FB and BB do bring in money, and spend every dime +...especially football
Why would the NFL or NBA pay the NCAA anything?
I do think the ones who bail should have to repay their schools, whatever scholarship monies they used if they leave school to go pro...To include any Federal Pell Grants.

Not a fan of most Unions...I applaud what they did, and what some still do...but .....not a fan
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Old enough...Im 52 :|
I know what Title 9 is...and whats its done...Here its a Godsend

FB and BB do bring in money, and spend every dime +...especially football
Why would the NFL or NBA pay the NCAA anything?
I do think the ones who bail should have to repay their schools, whatever scholarship monies they used if they leave school to go pro...To include any Federal Pell Grants.

Not a fan of most Unions...I applaud what they did, and what some still do...but .....not a fan

Finally something we can agree upon.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Pub