Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Pitching speeds

by as the world turns » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:06 am

softball31 wrote:Our coaches have clocked our girls in game situations and those are our ranges. I can't speak to any other teams.

radar guns have mph and kph settings, are you sure it wasn't set at the kilometer per hour :D
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Rounding 3rd » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 am

"Forgive me for repeating myself, but I like to compare the claims of a kid's speed and the actual speed to your gross wage and your net wage after taxes on your paycheck..."

Well by that theory ---my kids throw about 35 but they can get 5 back when the retire----maybe :lol: :lol:
Rounding 3rd

by CoachAL » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 pm

It makes me laugh at some of speeds that are posted on these pitchers sites and Flyers. They state they throw 60-62 mph and actually throw 57-59. Be honest with yourself and your kid. Speed will only get you so far in this game. Movement and location should be your goal. Speed can be caught up to and will be in the uppper age groups. There are rare exceptions that have both, but very few. I love it when a coach asks "how hard to you throw?". They don't get it at all!! Don't kid yourself and hurt your daughter by thinking "she (I) needs more speed". Speed and power will come with age and body development (and hard work of course).
CoachAL

by anonlooker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:09 pm

bring'nheat wrote:Can anyone help? Curious to find out what pitching speeds would be found at ASA tournaments. 12u, 14u, & 16u.

Go with Arto on this one... the other guy is FOS. :mrgreen:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by ArizonaKid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:38 pm

CoachAL wrote:It makes me laugh at some of speeds that are posted on these pitchers sites and Flyers. They state they throw 60-62 mph and actually throw 57-59. Be honest with yourself and your kid. Speed will only get you so far in this game. Movement and location should be your goal. Speed can be caught up to and will be in the uppper age groups. There are rare exceptions that have both, but very few. I love it when a coach asks "how hard to you throw?". They don't get it at all!! Don't kid yourself and hurt your daughter by thinking "she (I) needs more speed". Speed and power will come with age and body development (and hard work of course).

Don't listen to adults when they talk about the speed of their DD's, they all exaggerate + I'm not sure they get it :shock: , it's all about SPINS & SPOTS :D (location) without those 2 you have nothing!

Speed is only impressive if you have it at 10U & 12U because bats can't catch up to the speed yet, but starting at 14U & higher if Speed is all you have it gets hit :lol: (hard) Spins with great Location beats speed any day.

Once again for all the adults out there, Speed means NOTHING without SPINS & LOCATION, if you want to be a GREAT Pitcher!!!!!! If you have Speed with Spins & Location Now your Talking something Special, but that's very rare.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
Walt Disney
ArizonaKid

by CoachAL » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Glad to see that an intelligent young Pitcher, gets the whole dynamic of Pitching (not throwing)!! Congrats to you AZ Kid. Just remember what you need to accomplish and you will perform at a higher level and with greater success. :P
Example: Cat Osterman, can throw at 67, but throws at 60ish for the movement!! :o
CoachAL

by HIGHNTIGHT » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:23 am

Speed doesn't matter when you don't have it. Pitchers should develop the fastball and change up when they're young and learn their other pitches as they continue to grow. You can learn how to throw a riseball or drop curve. You can't learn how to throw 67 . JMO
HIGHNTIGHT

by ssarge » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:56 am

it is correct that speed alone is not enough to handle upper level Gold / College hitters, especially on the second or third time through the lineup. Unless the speed is close to 70, and maybe not then against the very best hitters.

It is also true, at least for D-I, that unless the pitcher throws over 60, it is very difficult to get a college coach to even look at her, no matter what else she can do with the ball.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by THE MAD-DOG99 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:20 pm

HIGHNTIGHT wrote:Speed doesn't matter when you don't have it. Pitchers should develop the fastball and change up when they're young and learn their other pitches as they continue to grow. You can learn how to throw a riseball or drop curve. You can't learn how to throw 67 . JMO

Actually, speed doesn't matter if you can't control it...
THE MAD-DOG99

by JustPlayTheGame » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:22 pm

artomatic wrote:I figured there would be the "60mph" claims, there always is...

I think more realistic speeds are:

12u - socal: average speeds is 48-52, very rarely a little higher.
Yes, once in a blue moon, there is a kid that can bring it.

14u - 50 to 56, occassionally a kid will hit 60, but very, very rarely.

16u - see sftbll4ever's post.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but I like to compare the claims of a kid's speed and the actual speed to your gross wage and your net wage after taxes on your paycheck...

I'm sorry, but if a 12u team has 2 kids hitting near 60, they will walk away with the national championship.
So many times I hear the "this kid throws 60's" claim, and then I see the kid and it's the usual, mid fifties.
Ok, so maybe a kid hit 58 one time on a windy day running up to the mound and letting it rip....but that's not reality...

flame away...

At the end of the season last summer, 12u San Diego Power Surge 96 had two pitchers consistently clocked over 60 mph. Their #3 pitcher was hitting 57+. All three throw a great change up, and work hard on their spins and locations as well. By the way, they walked away with the 2009 12u A USA/ASA National Championship. If you don't believe it, just ask the college scouts that are already watching the Team and especially the pitchers.
JustPlayTheGame

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal