Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

What are the top softball teams/programs in Nor Cal?

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Go to the Grapette's website and look at the brackets from last Summer's tournaments.
I can not remember the teams you are talking about, and I normally remember the really strong teams. They might not have played in any of those tournaments, but for the most parts, the top younger teams all play in Grapette tournaments, because that is where everyone is. Every game, score and opponent is listed for all of their tournaments. Pretty easy to see who last years stronger teams were. How that translates to this year is anyone's guess.
Iluvblue

by dittoz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Rocklin Hype:
14u - 95's are undergoing total rebuild of team with only 2 returning players from spring roster. Will likely play a combined NSA/local ASA schedule in the fall before considering options for '10 spring season.
12u - 96's have a few new players and new but very experienced coaching staff. After losing pitcher(s) late in Sp '09, they'll need to step up the recruiting to be competitive on the broad spectrum.
12u - 97's are a first year 12 team. Reasonable success at the 10u level - moving to 40' and the big ball will take some time.

Fury:
14u - 95 team now in it's 2nd year of 14's. Always a contender on the local level, a lot of coaching focus on small ball and slapping. Good speed and reasonable defense keeps them in the game but still need to develop/acquire pitching to achieve real success.

EC Hot Shots:
Not enough info on this group.

Davis Lady Demons:
14u - 95/6 team is a recently rebuilt team. Original '95 team disbanded a season or two back.
12u - Also seeing a lot of changes to this young team.
--- Both teams will take some time to establish and get back in the hunt
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by CrushersDad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 pm

NorCal96 wrote:Nice job Dittoz. Anyone have comments on Rocklin Hype, Davis Lady Demons, Cordova Fury or East County Hot Shots?

I think the Fury has a a single team, (smart, less drama that way) and I think they are second year 14's. Last season they were a good team with solid defense and a strong pitcher. I've noticed one of the parents keeps stats on a laptop and has for years. I bet he's got stats on all of our teams (maybe a few SoCal too).

I can tell you that Rocklin Hype lost all but 2 (coaches daughters), most of them to a brand new team "California TNT".
CrushersDad

by dittoz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:00 pm

That's pretty close - 5-6 of TNT's players are ex-Hype.
The team is mostly a combination of R'ville Elite and Hype with a few others thrown in for good measure.

TNT is going to play a mixture of NSA and local ASA for Fall.
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Teams playing NSA ball are likely not in the same league as the better 14u teams.

Pretty much a waste of time even going to one of those tournaments if your team is good.
Iluvblue

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:56 pm

mr.flamboyant wrote:You cant have this discussion without including the Grapettes somewhere in it

The second question was asking about teams from Sac and North. The Grapettes do pull players from that area, but I do not refer to them as a team from that area. Their association is in the Stockton/Modesto/Tracy area for the most part.
Iluvblue

by NorCal96 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I heard a bunch of Grapes went over to Breeze 96. Will they still have 2 14u teams?
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
NorCal96

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Grapes 12u players went up that way from what I heard. There is 2 Grapette 14u teams. I do not move up as I have no kid to follow. So my team will remain until I choose to switch age groups. Chris Whitt returns as well.

My team did not lose any players that could return. I lost 8 players due to age. 5 returned.
The 12u grapes were scrappy, but I know that asst coach from that team is now coaching an AASA14u team. How many players went with him, and how many went to the Breeze, I have no idea.

OH, and if you meant do the Breeze have 2 14 u teams, Im assuming that is a yes, but I am not positive.

2 teams is never good IMO, but there is no way to know that if we had only 1 Grapette team we would be stronger. Just because there is only 1 team does not guarantee that the best players from the other team would come to mine. Chris Whitt's team has a very good pitcher, but she is from Elk Grove I believe. She will be one of the best 14u pitchers up north this year IMO.... heck with this year, she was last year.

I heard the Scorcerers team coached by Kiko Garcia lost many kids due to age, so he is starting over minus a few. His SS and 3rd baseman are tremendous. One of the best SS I saw all last season.

Bob Perales is a 16u team from what I hear, so I have no idea where that puts the Sting 14u. I am not sure about Strikkers 14 from last year, and AASA 14u moved up to 16u. So the 14u division looks like we will have to wait and see what shakes out to determine who the real players are up North.
Iluvblue

by mr.flamboyant » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Sarah (Norwood) did get a pretty good (at least in my book) coach to assist her this year!
mr.flamboyant

by 454Malibu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Only my opinions for sure, but that is what boards like this are all about! Bob Perales runs Sting. His 14u team was quite good in Summer, but are young. They will probably stay 14U a bit longer. They have a 16u team, but have not posted a roster.

Strikkers 14U from Summer have moved up to 16U. Strikkers lost 3 of their best players including two pitchers and slapper/centerfielder (they are still showing them on their roster, but they are gone to Sorcerers 16U and Sting Gold). Strikkers, SJ Lady Sharks and Sting 16U's are all looking for pitching! Pitchers are really in short supply at the 16U level for Fall!

Sorcerers 16U have six pitchers and a very solid team. They are my favorite in the Bay area 16U division to win a bunch of games in Fall and beyond.

Again, just my opinion!
454Malibu

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal