Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Pitching speeds

by as the world turns » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:15 pm

12u San Diego Power Surge 96 had two pitchers consistently clocked over 60 mph. Their #3 pitcher was hitting 57+.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by JustPlayTheGame » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:02 am

Spazsdad wrote:
12u San Diego Power Surge 96 had two pitchers consistently clocked over 60 mph. Their #3 pitcher was hitting 57+.By the way, they walked away with the 2009 12u A USA/ASA National Championship.

ROFLMAO.
A 5-3 final in ITB and a 2-0 semi is hardly walking away with anything.
Big props to PS but it is posts like yours that detract from the accomplishments of these young girls.

The post said if a 12u team had pitchers that could throw at 60 then they would walk away with the National Championship. I simply supported that proposition with clocked speeds, confirmation that such pitching speed was a critical advantage in winning Nats, and the fact that college scouts had taken notice.

If your statement is meant to imply that based upon the scores for the semi and championship games at Nationals (against a very good SoCal Jynx team) PS 96 was not the dominant 12u team last season even with such pitching, I suggest you check out the manner they won Nats, SoCal States and five other tournaments on their way to a 92-7-1 record. The point being that at least in the 12's, pitchers at that speed (along with a good change, and the workings of a few other spin pitches) will dominant, and with the right team can win it all. Will PS compete well in the 14's, only time will tell. But their current success tells me they may be up to the challenge. It should be a great 2010 season.
JustPlayTheGame

by bring'nheat » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks for all of the help and advice. I've had team coaches tell me either speed or movement, but rarely both (except for pitching coach-I listen to him) thats why I asked question.
bring'nheat

by artomatic » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 pm

JustPlayTheGame wrote:
artomatic wrote:I figured there would be the "60mph" claims, there always is...
I think more realistic speeds are:

12u - socal: average speeds is 48-52, very rarely a little higher.
Yes, once in a blue moon, there is a kid that can bring it.

14u - 50 to 56, occassionally a kid will hit 60, but very, very rarely.

16u - see sftbll4ever's post.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but I like to compare the claims of a kid's speed and the actual speed to your gross wage and your net wage after taxes on your paycheck...

I'm sorry, but if a 12u team has 2 kids hitting near 60, they will walk away with the national championship.
So many times I hear the "this kid throws 60's" claim, and then I see the kid and it's the usual, mid fifties.
Ok, so maybe a kid hit 58 one time on a windy day running up to the mound and letting it rip....but that's not reality...

flame away...

At the end of the season last summer, 12u San Diego Power Surge 96 had two pitchers consistently clocked over 60 mph. Their #3 pitcher was hitting 57+. All three throw a great change up, and work hard on their spins and locations as well. By the way, they walked away with the 2009 12u A USA/ASA National Championship. If you don't believe it, just ask the college scouts that are already watching the Team and especially the pitchers.

Thank you for proving my point...

Congrats on your success last season.
I think Scott and his team have been very humble after winning the 12U National Championship. It's unfortunate you had to come on here and change things up a bit.
A wise man once told me to "be humble when you win, and be certain of yourself when you lose.".

I watched your team play this weekend.
Sorry to disappoint you, but what I saw was pitching speeds in the mid fifties...and that's ok. It's just as important to change speeds, and have a strong defense behind you.

I wish your team the best of luck this season.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:30 pm

JustPlayTheGame wrote:At the end of the season last summer, 12u San Diego Power Surge 96 had two pitchers consistently clocked over 60 mph. Their #3 pitcher was hitting 57+.

LMAO. Are you on drugs?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:03 pm

At 12U, there is relatively fast, Ie compared to other 12U's, but no real speed IMO, and very little movement at all. So little movment, I'd just about rule it out, but there are exceptions.. but essentially they just dont throw hard enough to get movement that you see from developed pitchers.

I think there is a lot of fantasy in this thread.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by anonlooker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:41 pm

I went to ASA Turkey this past weekend, watched all three PS pitchers, and while they seemed dominant vs '96 teams, that wasn't much of a surprise. Going to be another story when they go up against decent '95 teams who have seen plenty of kids throwing mid to high 50's.

Also had a chance to listen to a group of '96 coaches (not PS coaches) mythologizing the PS pitching staff with numbers in the low 60's... , maybe as an excuse for their own team's failure to produce against the PS kids? :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Norcal33 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

I believe in the -3 rule.

Whatever the coach or dad says their pitching is throwing, minus 3 off that and you have a more accurate assesment. Most overzealous fathers will state what their DD has peaked at one time or another. Watch in games and you will see their true pitching speed. Be humble and work hard. Teach your DD to PITCH, hit locations, change speeds, and be mentally tough. Everthing else will fall into place.
Norcal33

by THE MAD-DOG99 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 pm

This thread speaks for itself...dads talking about how fast their DD throws...

The only post that was correct came from a pitcher herself....

Go figure...
THE MAD-DOG99

by ice_67 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:04 pm

artomatic wrote:I figured there would be the "60mph" claims, there always is...

I think more realistic speeds are:

12u - socal: average speeds is 48-52, very rarely a little higher.
Yes, once in a blue moon, there is a kid that can bring it.

14u - 50 to 56, occassionally a kid will hit 60, but very, very rarely.

16u - see sftbll4ever's post.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but I like to compare the claims of a kid's speed and the actual speed to your gross wage and your net wage after taxes on your paycheck...

I'm sorry, but if a 12u team has 2 kids hitting near 60, they will walk away with the national championship.

So many times I hear the "this kid throws 60's" claim, and then I see the kid and it's the usual, mid fifties.
Ok, so maybe a kid hit 58 one time on a windy day running up to the mound and letting it rip....but that's not reality...

flame away...

Arto,

You know better than that... There's no mound in softball. :)
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal