Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

New Firecracker Teams

by catchersdaddy » Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 am

Bottom line is all of the so called "Good Coaching" is taken up. At the 12u and 14u levels we only have a handful anyway. Why is that? Because none of these programs are taking the time to have the good coaches mentor the new ones. Someone has to teach and show these new coaches how to do it. Otherwise as the so called good coaches decide to call it quits, who is left to coach our kids? Mom and dad? If the FC98 is going to work hand in hand with the new coaching staffs I think that's great. I totally agree that the F on your chest doesn't do it all, but it is a very good start.
catchersdaddy

by GameTime23 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:24 am

Jcrickets…I’m really not in the 12’s loop and I feel there is too many teams to start with and too many daddies in the dugout…..and mommies on scorebook

But if I had to make that call…. I would start with these coaches…

#1. Grapes “Slice”: good dude that develops young ballers. Plus he don’t put up with parents crap.

#2. AASA-SN: Coached 12’s for years and hands down one of the top proven travel ball coaches in the area.

#3. Grapes T. Johnson: Top HS coach and coaching travel ball again.

#4. Breeze R. Vasquez: Proven coach that can work and develop young talent. Great rep as a good guy that loves softball.

This is the kind of coaching pedigree that would attract top talent….
GameTime23

by GameTime23 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:20 am

JCrickets.....can't send you PM, but what you think?
GameTime23

by JimineyCricket » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am

GameTime, the big reason I keep asking is because I don't see enough good coaching at the 12u level on a consistent basis to answer the question myself. 12u teams seem to take a variety of approaches to coaching staffs, and the differences make it hard for outside observers to know how to evaluate or compare individual coaching during games. For example, the Rapids seem to go with only two coaches, the Hype never seem to have fewer than six - do you hold the individual coaches' game-time performance to the same standard?

Unfortunately, bad coaching stands out more than does good. I do see certain 12u coaches making the same mistakes game after game, week after week, and a couple of giant a-holes that I wouldn't want anywhere near my DD, but I'm not here to talk bad about any particular coaches. I will say that I like the coaching I see from Slice, although his approach is not one one that would be effective with my particular DD (not saying it's wrong - in fact, I wish it was one that would be effective for her!).

I really wish that people more qualified and experienced than I would weigh in on the topic, with specific examples of quality 12u coaches, so we can have an idea of where to be looking for it.
JimineyCricket

by ICMTM » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:41 pm

@ 12U parents are usually heavily involved with a team. At this age a snack list isn't out of the question! It's rare you get a 12U team that has a coach with a ton of experience and no personal tie to the team (like a daughter).

Kudos to you for recognizing the style of coach that works for your kid. I can't stress fit enough! What works for one family does/does not work for the next. The coach my daughter grew under the most wasn't going to win a people's choice award FWIW.
ICMTM

by GameTime23 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 pm

JCrickets....it's all good. I was just trying to answer your question who I would call impact 12 's coaches and that could draw talent to an already proven org...

Slice is one my favorites...My mann has the JUICE!!!!
Looks better in red,white and blue tho......hehehhhahhahahah

He calls it how it is and works those girls hard. Parents and kids are lucky to have that kind of coaching at this age....

and I do agree that it will not work for all and thats the same for every coach!!!!
GameTime23

by JimineyCricket » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks, GameTime!
JimineyCricket

by rbi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Not sure how a FC thread gets derailed into a 12u coaching thread but I will but in my two cents. My DD who is getting ready to embark on a new journey of college softball had the pleasure of playing for the late Laura Norwood and her daughter Sarah. For a 12u team which ended up with a higher finish than any other 12u team in NorCal to date (3rd), and at the time was still a real 12u ASA National with close to 120 teams, and a 2nd place at Oklahoma in HOF tourney at the time loaded with quality teams, and with to date that same team will have 7 D-1 college players, including two SEC and 1 PAC 12 on that team. Sure that team had a lot of talent but, Laura as tough as she was made these kids into REAL softball players, one's that learend the how to handle the coach riding there ass, and when i say get on them, it was full on get your s**t together at 12 or your ass is going to find the bench real quick, and demanded nothing but your all every out, plus we played the best on the best fields all year. My daughter grew more in that year in softball and had the TOUGHEST year ever than she has had since, and looking back it was the best thing we ever did, thank you RIP Laura, and thank you Sarah for belieiving. So, when people say hey this coach is too tough, sometimes as parents we need to just let our kids fight through this and cut the cord, and let them become softball players. FWIW
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:21 am

. So, when people say hey this coach is too tough, sometimes as parents we need to just let our kids fight through this and cut the cord, and let them become softball players.

Mostly those comments about that coach being too tough are made from parents that havent had the kid play for the coach. Well how do you know if a coach is too tough? Only way someone should make that statement is AFTER their kid has played for a coach and they have some experience to make the claim.

I dont think I had any trouble with your kid RBI, but I remember a little bit of trepidation heading into the experience:) By the way, congrats to your whole family, you have quite a daughter/ball player:)
Iluvblue

by rbi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Iluvblue wrote:. So, when people say hey this coach is too tough, sometimes as parents we need to just let our kids fight through this and cut the cord, and let them become softball players.

9 times out of 10, YES!, one of my many mistakes we made along this TB journey was going from rec ball to the top team in NorCal overnight, very tough adjustment

Mostly those comments about that coach being too tough are made from parents that havent had the kid play for the coach. Well how do you know if a coach is too tough? Only way someone should make that statement is AFTER their kid has played for a coach and they have some experience to make the claim.

No, it usually happens about mid season, when your 12yr old has been chewed up and spit out about 50 times, thats when you know you need to give your kid some guidance and let them figure it out. Shoot I had a ex Navy Drill Instructor for a HS football coach, Army Sargent as a Off Coord in JC, and ANOTHER ex Army Drill Instructor as a HC in college, i could never get away from those guys, so I knew what being chewed up and spit up was all about for about 9 years, so I knew it would be for the good and it would all work out. While your in the middle of it, it seems like hell though. My biggest suggestion to all my kids has been the same thing my pops always told me, "force your coach to respect you", they/I would reply, HOW? I/He would say go out there and bust your ass every practice/game, and it will happen! It worked for me, it was the only way i could keep those crazy sob's off my ass

I dont think I had any trouble with your kid RBI, but I remember a little bit of trepidation heading into the experience:) By the way, congrats to your whole family, you have quite a daughter/ball player:)

thanks Corey, btw that word is to big for me to understand:)
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal