Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Nor Cal Gold for 2010

by TopHat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 pm

My take on the top Nor Cal Teams for 2010

Unfortunately, Gold in NorCal will not be a national factor this year. The lack of pitching in the area dooms the Nor Cal gold to mediocrity. Unless someone really steps up, the immediate future is bleak, even if some of the top teams do decide to compete for a title; as it stands they chose to showcase only.

6-10 I will lump Shockers, lady sharks, Strike Zone (DF is a one trick pony and will likely not qualifiy (for what, 3rd year in a row??) even in this weak field), Roseville Heat here. Shockers had a chance when using returning college pitcher, but an injury derailed that - maybe they should play 18A and give up the gold and make a run for that title. Gold means so little lately anyway.

5. Breeze - As Mashburn has stepped away other than occasionally scowling around the 10U fields growling at his DGD, the Breeze struggles. In a weaker field, they are still competitive; they will not qualify.

4. Lady Magic - Although highly overrated, they will likely qualify, but then again, they will finish low middle of the pack nationally. Their weak coaches and weak small ball game hurts them. They are not aggressive defensively. They have a stronger pitching squad, unfortunately they dont know what to do with them. They have one of the best arms behind the plate (a catcher obtained from the Breeze 14U) and they never use her. Sad Really. If getting ejected was worth a prize, their 1B coach might make a run for that title, but other than letting girls get picked off, he hurts the team.

3. Sting is a perennial great org, but Bob P is still off doing the daddy coach thing in the lower divisions leaving 18G with a weak staff. I probably could easily switch Lady Magic to #3 and drop them, but we'll see how they do. Ability to attract great pitchers and a strong bat will make them relevent.

2. Grappettes - The success of the Grappettes can be summed up with one word - Aggression. At all levels the Grapes bring it. They should not be #2, but the others are so weak at this point that that brings the Grappettes up by default. Their patented aggressive small ball and running makes them #2 this year.

1. Sorcerers go into 2010 resigned to national irrelevance. The defending champs cut their losses by designating this year a showcase year; as well they should. It will save embarrassment as I doubt they could place above 25th at Nats in 2010. I'm sure that was a factor in PMs decision. Their success 2009 is summed up in two words:
RICK ETTS
Probably the best pitcher to come out of cal since Abbott, but she is not there any more.

Without the pitcher they rode like a stallion every inning in OKC, they cannot do it. Add they wont. Nonetheless, Phil always has the strongest Nor Cal program and that will continue. WIth KF assisting, this is by far the best coached team there is in norcal and they will bring it. Their aggressive small ball supplemented by huge bats and aggressive defense puts them head and shoulders above the #2 and the only team at least competitive in So Cal events. Where are they going? Who knows, but they will bring it somewhere.
TopHat

by CoachAL » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm

I would agree with just about everything you stated Top Hat. First, Pitching is extrememly weak in all of NorCal. I guess its just NorCals turn in the cycle. Part of that problem is also "COMMITTMENT" to the craft at an early age. Second, way to many "GOLD" Teams. A bunch of self delussional people. If you took all those teams mentioned and put them together, you could have maybe "2" true Gold Teams. But everyone has to have that name next to them to make them feel better about their level of play and talent.
Sorcerers are the #1, Grapettes #2. Can't wait to see what happens with the addition of Pete to the Gold coaching staff. Or, how long it lasts.
CoachAL

by Old Darter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Deleted by poster. I promised I was retired from the drivel.
Last edited by Old Darter on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Darter

by CoachAL » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 pm

"DD"?? Too old and too new to this stuff. Grandchildren turned me to it.
CoachAL

by Old Darter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm

Deleted by poster. I promised I was retired from the drivel.
Last edited by Old Darter on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Darter

by TopHat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Old Darter wrote:
What do you use as a source for that? At least one of the teams mentioned have a core of 9 kids who have played together since they were 10 yo. and have never missed qualifying for Nationals.

And have been a dismal flop at 18G. Their success at a weak 16U Nat meant little. What they need is 18G level coaching.

I recently watched that team have a runner at third base and 0 outs.

3 batters and outs later and not a single bunt attempt, they were going into the dug out to retrieve their gloves.

With coaching like that, they cannot succeed no matter the mid level talent they have.
TopHat

by Goldball4 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 pm

LOL!!! Nice list. All the top dogs, grapes will get pounded! Magic at #4? They are freaking good man. Eveeryone is in the same boat with the pitching, I agree. Even sorcs have only Sammy! As far as the coaching staffs on these teams, they are all pretty good. Even the best are having people quit, and they are trying to steal and pillage other teams for pitching. Seen the pickups most of these teams made, and I say wow! We'll see how this all plays out.
Goldball4

by TopHat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

2-4 was difficult. 5 was a gimme.

I think another way to look at is 4 steps.

1. Sorcerers

2. Sting, Grapettes, Lady Magic
I know I am hard on Lady Magic but they are definately good, they will qualify - I just believe they are overrated. I think Sting will be #2 again and maybe #1 some day with some talent luck once Bob P is done goofing around playing Daddy Baller. If Bob had played his cards right, he would be champion right now and not Phil. But he will be back and he will come back strong. A damn good coach. Probably the best coach in Northern California.

3. Everyone else like Strike Zone, Breeze, Mizuno Gold

4. The weak Non factor teams like Runnin Rebels and invented Gold teams that think a player verballing to Ohlone is worth a news release.

One thing that is very interesting is how Sorcerers will be without college players. As you state, their pitching is back to earth with Ricketts on her way to greatness.

In 09 they didnt need them. But in years past, Sorcerers were not even the Sorcerers until their college players joined the squad. I was most suprised to see them supporting the removal of college players, considering prior to 09, they lived by the college player credo.

They ONLY reason sorcerers are invited to So Cal's little tournament is Ricketts. Before her, they werent even on the radar down there and were just another "nor cal" squad.
Last edited by TopHat on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TopHat

by Goldball4 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:49 pm

You must know all these teams, and their staffs very well to be putting them down. What do you have against the Magic, and Sting staffs? As far as I know, they are very strong staffs with coaches who have played, and coached at high levels for awhile now. Not sure where you get your information from. How about our staff, or the Grapes staff? We all have similar staffs in my opinion.
Goldball4

by Goldball4 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Woah!! I just finished what you said!! Bob P the best coach in Norcal? Now I know your half off your rocker!! Have a good night! Wholy S???!!!
Goldball4

Next

Return to NorCal