Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

WHAT QUALIFIES AS "STEALING" A PLAYER?

by stan the man » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:35 pm

LOTS OF YAK ABOUT SORCERER STEALING PLAYERS FROM THE SJ STING.

WHATS STEALING?

I BELIEVE IT HELPS A PLAYERS GROWTH TO PLAY ON MANY A BALL TEAMS IN THE COURSE OF HER TRAVEL CAREER. IT HELPS THEM ADJUST TO BEING ON THEIR OWN IN A NEW TEAM SETTING. IT HELPS THEM TO EXPERIENCE DIFFERENT PLAYERS, COACHES AND ORGANIZATIONS.

IS IT STEALING WHEN A PLAYER TRYS OUT FOR A FEW NEW TEAMS DURING AN OFF SEASON, AND DECIDES IT A BEST FIT TO MOVE TO A NEW TEAM? I THINK NOT.

IS IT STEALING WHEN A PLAYER SEES A POST FOR AN "OPEN POSITION" ON ANOTHER TEAM AND INQUIRES WITH THE COACH ABOUT THEIR FIT INTO THAT POSITION? I DON'T BELIEVE SO.

IS IT STEALING WHEN A COACH MAKES "UNSOLICATED" CALLS TO A PLAYER THEY HAVE FACED OR SCOUTED ON ANOTHER TEAM TO COME TO THEIR ORGANIZATION WITH PROMISES OF NATIONAL EXPOSURE AND SURE FIRE RECRUITMENT? I THINK IT IS.

IT IS A FACT THAT IT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SORCERER. MY DD, AS A MATTER OF FACT, HAS RECEIVED 2 CALLS FROM SORCERER AND BEEN PROMISED A STARTING POSITION ON ONE OF THEIR TEAMS IF SHE WOULD COME OVER...NO TRYOUT REQUIRED!!!

I MIGHT NOT EVEN HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS, BUT I THINK ABOUT THE BIGGER PICTURE. WHAT IF STING STARTS DOING THIS, AND BREEZE, AND GRAPETTES? I MEAN...WHAT A MESS! IS THIS WHAT WE WANT TRAVEL BALL TO BECOME...A BIG TRYOUT TO MAKE A SINGLE TEAM?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WHA DO
stan the man

by GSB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 pm

There is no such thing as stealing a player. If a coach is not calling the better players unsolicited and trying to build a better team. He is not much of a coach. I think all of the top teams have either a coach or manager who do this.

The contracts come out in February. After that its all a mute point.
To each their own.
GSB

by ssarge » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:44 am

The contracts come out in February. After that its all a mute point.

GSB: Unlike SoCal, there are no player contracts in Northern California.

Once Nationals are over, teams hold tryouts for fall. Obviously, many players are contacted by teams (other than the one they have been on) with an invitation to tryout. Once the fall season starts, the vast majority of coaches respect the fact that the player is commited to a team. After fall season is over, most teams have another tryout, and the process repeats.

I think most people would consider it perfectly legitimate to contact any player during the off-season. And I think the vast majority - though definitely not all - have the integrity NOT to initiate contact during a season of play, be it fall or summer.

IS IT STEALING WHEN A COACH MAKES "UNSOLICATED" CALLS TO A PLAYER THEY HAVE FACED OR SCOUTED ON ANOTHER TEAM TO COME TO THEIR ORGANIZATION WITH PROMISES OF NATIONAL EXPOSURE AND SURE FIRE RECRUITMENT? I THINK IT IS.

Well, Stan the Man, with your first post ever under THAT identity (Nice St Louis reference, BTW, you are VERY clever :roll: :

Any recruiting right now (December 1) by ANY team is perfectly legitimate, as far as I am concerned.

IT IS A FACT THAT IT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SORCERER. MY DD, AS A MATTER OF FACT, HAS RECEIVED 2 CALLS FROM SORCERER AND BEEN PROMISED A STARTING POSITION ON ONE OF THEIR TEAMS IF SHE WOULD COME OVER...NO TRYOUT REQUIRED!!!

I MIGHT NOT EVEN HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS, BUT I THINK ABOUT THE BIGGER PICTURE. WHAT IF STING STARTS DOING THIS, AND BREEZE, AND GRAPETTES? I MEAN...WHAT A MESS! IS THIS WHAT WE WANT TRAVEL BALL TO BECOME...A BIG TRYOUT TO MAKE A SINGLE TEAM?

I find your claim about promises made to you to be extremely dubious. . . .But congratulations on signing up for the board in order to tell us with your first post that you don't have a problem with your daughter being recruited (necessarily). But as a concerned observer you are worried about the future of the NorCal softball landscape. You're obviously a noble humanitarian, and you'll probably be going to Sweden on the King's money one year soon.

But to answer what I consider to be your extremely insincere question: I think tryouts to make a team are EXACTLY what travel ball should "be." I am missing your point, or missing a segue or something, since you say on one hand your daughter has been offered a spot on a team and doesn't need to tryout. But whatever.

This isn't recball. Teams aren't formed based on geography, or a draft, or something like that. Players are recruited, constantly. NO player is committed to a team - or vice versa - past the single season (fall or summer) for which fees have been paid. It is completely legitimate to contact them in the off-season.
ssarge

by Skarp » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 am

stan the man wrote:WHATS STEALING?

Perhaps your left pinky could steal its way over to that little button that reads "Caps Lock" before you post again...
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stan the man » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:49 am

SSARGE, THANKS FOR THE LESSON ON HOW A BALL WORKS...AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE SORCERER THIS YEAR...MAY YOU SEW WHAT U REAP.

RED BIRDS RULE!
stan the man

by ssarge » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:48 pm

SSARGE, THANKS FOR THE LESSON ON HOW A BALL WORKS...AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE SORCERER THIS YEAR...MAY YOU SEW (sic) WHAT U REAP.

You're welcome. It was obvious from your comments, and the fact that you had just registered at the site yesterday and made your first post, that you were new to the process.

I am happy to help out a newbie when I can.

I am not affiliated in any way with any Sorcerer team. I AM a hitting instructor at the Sorcerer Academy, but obviously, that is a different deal.

Best regards,

Scott
ssarge

by ssarge » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Perhaps your left pinky could steal its way over to that little button that reads "Caps Lock" before you post again...

Ah, that would apparently be a "no."

Can you figuring out whether he is reaping embroidery, or sewing crops?
ssarge

by Skarp » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:02 pm

ssarge wrote:

Ah, that would apparently be a "no."

Can you figuring out whether he is reaping embroidery, or sewing crops?

lol...no. But I do have a red bird in mind for him.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aubsdad#6 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Artomatic, saw your pitcture, thanks for the laugh:)
aubsdad#6

Next

Return to NorCal