7. Corona Angels Tyson- rank 16
10. Explosion- rank 13 or 24
13. Grapettes- good team, not ranked
22. Ohana TIgers Gold-
23. Power Surge- rank 22
25. So Cal Athletics- rank 44
26. So Cal Choppers Fausett- rank 52
27. Sorcerer Schroll- rank 52
31. Universal Faspitch Garcia- who are they?
32. USA Athletics Rogers- good team, not ranked

I don’t have a problem with any of these since almost all have been ranked in the past. The Grapettes and USA Athletics are returning teams in the age group. Both competed last fall.

What team is the Universal Garcia? I never heard of this team. I recall he coached an 18U team. But who is this new team? Did they earn their merit under another team name? Red Flag #1.

Where are the Batbusters, Athletics Mercado, and Firecrackers? They are not some of the best 14U teams? I am no a smart man, but I do believe OCBB Mascarenas, AM Tidd, AM Ornelas, CA Perez are better than most California teams on the list.

Maybe I am wrong though. Maybe PGF isn’t about politics. Maybe they give berths based on team merit. But who am I kidding.

I'm trying to follow your argument, but I don't think we are looking at the same list. Universal Garcia was not included in the 14U ranking because they were playing 18U in 2019, so I don't know what's going on there. Also, OCBB Mascarenas was ranked #6 on the list I'm looking at, and AM Tidd # 8. There were several Explosion teams playing 14U in 2019. In my opinion, and based on their record against quality competition, Hilliard was without question the best of the batch.

The ranking may not be perfect, and I can't speak for every team in all 50 states, but for CA, I think they came pretty close to getting it right. Is there any CA team that you know of that should have been included, and if so, who would they have knocked off the list? I do believe Firecrackers Ricks deserved an honorable mention.

On a side note, what happened to all of the people in this forum that used to engage in conversations like this? For the past 7 months it's been all politics and childish name calling, mostly from the usual resident experts down in SoCal. It kind of feels good to finally have a conversation about softball for just once after 7 months. Thanks for initiating it.
TheTownUSA

by SouthbayFP » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Let’s start from the beginning. I think PGF generally does a fair job at who they give berths to in the fall. I can’t speak on the non-California teams, however, I can speak about NorCal and SoCal. Below is the latest list of returning invitees to the 14u Premier National Championship. Cal Nuggets, Corona Angels Tyson, Explosion, Grapettes, Ohana Tigers Gold, Power Surge, Sorcerer Schroll, SoCal A’s, SoCal Choppers Fausett, FC Weil, Universal Garcia, USA Athletics Mathis. If you notice, most of the teams are vaguely listed. This is because the organizations were given a “loyalty” berth for their continued support of PGF. From a business standpoint, this makes sense. Keep giving the organizations a berth to ensure they keep coming back. I’m most cases I believe there is a premier team in each age group at each of the big organizations, therefore this concept works on the surface. But what happens when an organization doesn’t have a good team in the age group. Do they pass on the offer? Do they give it to an undeserving team? These are the flaws of this process. Take Universal for instance. I don’t remember them having a competitive 14 team in the past 12 months. The last time they did it was the 05 team. That team received a premier berth in the 16s. Did Universal take their 18U Gold coach and move him down to 14 to revitalize a dying team? Did this team come from a different organization and earn their merit there? I don’t know much about this team because I am mostly around the 05 class. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Doesn’t the 9 teams listed below deserve a berth too? OCBB Mascarenas, Mercado 2024, Power Surge, FC Brashear, Sorcerer Bigley, Lady Magic 06, SunCats 06, San Jose Sting, DD Close. And I know there are several I missed. Do any of the 07 teams deserve a berth? AM Valencia, Corona Angela Perez, OCBB Garcia?
And I agree with you. It’s nice to have a group discussion. Maybe someone else will chime in and give their opinion.

PGF 14U Premier Invites

1. Atlanta Vipers
2. AZ Storm
3. Beverly Bandits
4. Beverly Bandits
5. Birmingham Thunderbolts
6. Cal Nuggets
7. Corona Angels Tyson
8. Texas Dirt Divas
9. East Cobb Bullets Bagarose
10. Explosion
11. Georgia Impact Sampson/Gusaeff
12. Georgia Impact Sullivan
13. Grapettes
14. TX Hotshots Premier Esparza
15. TX Impact Gold
16. Indiana Magic
17. Intensity KOD
18. MI Finesse
19. Mojo 2024 Ross
20. Newtown Rock National
21. NW Bullets
22. Ohana TIgers Gold
23. Power Surge
24. Select Faspitch
25. So Cal Athletics
26. So Cal Choppers Fausett
27. Sorcerer Schroll
28. Team North Carolina
29. TN Fury
30. Top Gun
31. Universal Faspitch Garcia
32. USA Athletics Rogers
33. Virginia Unity
34. Washington Ladyhawks Wicker
35. Firecrackers Weil
SouthbayFP
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Yeah, we were talking about two different lists. I'm pretty sure you are talking about the updated version for 2021, not the one that was originally posted on this thread. The '05s moved up to 16U for the fall, so I think the list you are referring to are '06 and maybe '07. Just saying that makes me realize how quickly time flies in the blink of an eye.

I think you are right about what's going on with PGF. If they are handing out berths for their 2021 national championship this early, without any tournaments being played to prove merit, then there is something else going on. Because of the uncertainty of Covid and whether it will still be with us next year, they may be sending out berths to 150 teams based on past history and name recognition.

They're probably asking those invited to send in their $2250 check by a certain date to lock in that revenue, and if teams don't send in the check by that date, they invite another coach that will to replace them. I'm speculating that it's going to be primarily based on who gets their checks into PGF first. They get to keep 20% of the money, regardless if the tournament is played or not, so it's a win-win for them, even if Covid prevents the tournament from happening.

I don't think a lot of coaches are going to be rushing to the mailbox to get their checks to PGF, not after this past summer. They are going to wait until they know more about the Covid situation. If you wait long enough, your team will probably get an invite. Just be patient.
TheTownUSA

by 3BB » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:37 am

I'm sure that list consists 100% of orgs that took a credit instead of a refund. Seriously though, why does it matter? If your team is good enough to get in they will get in and if they aren't good enough to get it, they will probably get in anyway. :lol:
3BB
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:07 pm

3BB wrote:I'm sure that list consists 100% of orgs that took a credit instead of a refund. Seriously though, why does it matter? If your team is good enough to get in they will get in and if they aren't good enough to get it, they will probably get in anyway. :lol:

You are 110% correct, as some in here would say. But for the time being, I'm just praying that our kids get back in school and they kick off the high school volleyball season in December as planned. If that happens, everything that comes after will be gravy and life will be good once again.
TheTownUSA

by firecrackerdad1977 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:01 am

Here are Northern California rankings for the 12u group which is not very deep beyond the top 3-5 teams and 14u which has several strong teams in the top 10. I’m sure I missed a few teams.

12u Nor Cal Rankings

1 - Sorcerer -Yoder
2- Universal - Kimura
3- Cal Nuggets
4- PS33 - Archie
5- Ohana Tigers - Bishop
6- Sorcerers -Davis
7- AASA -Camarena
8- Athletics Mercado - Almont
9- LTG - Buck 09
10- Lady Magic - Munoz 09

14u Nor Cal Rankings