Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Pool Play and Bracketing Questions

by ICMTM » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:48 am

I did some bracket reading and GY's team was 1-2 on Saturday with two close games and 1-1 on Sunday in the silver bracket. It seems to me he has his team in the right place. I have read all of your words. I simply think you're making much to do about nothing.

All those issues will resolve themselves in time. If the kids aren't in the right place the parents will make the adjustment anyway.

Someone kill this thread already!
ICMTM

by Turret94 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:24 am

Sftball Junkie is right on mark.

This tournament director is all business and about making money ON the girls and parents. There is no interest in producing a strong team. The goal is to field a team, keep the parents happy by playing weak teams and not getting blown out, and enter the team in all HIS tournaments - pure business.

Now, that's the business side. Here is the political side (which is also business); by keeping a team with Mizuno, he helps out and remains close to KJ who has major influence in the GSSA. The GSSA decides who can run tournaments, when, how, etc.....Get it?

Sure he has a right to run a business, but when are parents going to wise up and see this for what it is...come on people.

What we need is more competiton among TD's to make tournaments better for the girls. As long as this guy remains close to KJ and supports her, the Sacramento area will not have TD competition - these two will surely see to it. This is all about money in their (GY, KJ, GSSA) pockets.
Turret94

by Iluvblue » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:07 am

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Last time I checked, TD are running a business. This is something new? You better thank them for doing what they do, or you would be playing practice games all year.

Dont like it, do to different tourneys.
Iluvblue

by papadan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:29 pm

One of the things that we learned the past fifteen years is that fastpitch is political and is a business. Tournament Directors put a product out there and we choose to participate or not. We all will pay thorugh the nose to attend a Surf City Tournament or TCS Tournaments in Colorado. Why? we feel like we are getting value for what we pay (Great competition, wonderful fields, and TD's that are responsive to their customers). If your not happy with the way a tournament is ran, don't give that person your repeat business. Move on . . . There are so many more options out there for teams besides ASA sanctioned tournaments.

However, BUYER BEWARE
Even the other organizations who run tournaments are in it to make money.
papadan

by noncrazynorcal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Turret94 wrote:Sftball Junkie is right on mark.

This tournament director is all business and about making money ON the girls and parents. There is no interest in producing a strong team. The goal is to field a team, keep the parents happy by playing weak teams and not getting blown out, and enter the team in all HIS tournaments - pure business.

Now, that's the business side. Here is the political side (which is also business); by keeping a team with Mizuno, he helps out and remains close to KJ who has major influence in the GSSA. The GSSA decides who can run tournaments, when, how, etc.....Get it?

Sure he has a right to run a business, but when are parents going to wise up and see this for what it is...come on people.

What we need is more competiton among TD's to make tournaments better for the girls. As long as this guy remains close to KJ and supports her, the Sacramento area will not have TD competition - these two will surely see to it. This is all about money in their (GY, KJ, GSSA) pockets.

What does his tournament business that have to do with running a team? NOTHING. He runs a team so that he can coach his daughter. He enters that team in the tournaments he runs because it's CONVENIENT.

If you think his payments to KJ are what keep the ASA sanctions moving his way, you are mistaken. Why not just pay the kickback without the hassle of running a team? You're just kicking sand into the ocean with your argument.

How many times have you said "we need more competition"? Go to an Ybarra-run tournament and you'll see why so many teams usually enjoy participating in them.
noncrazynorcal

by Ovr Weight N Bald » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 pm

noncrazynorcal wrote:How many times have you said "we need more competition"? Go to an Ybarra-run tournament and you'll see why so many teams usually enjoy participating in them.

Ok honest question here. No intention of slamming anyone here.

What do you feel GY does so much better than anyone else out there?? My daughters team plays in all of them, from Grapes to RR, Bit N Bit, NSA, USSSA and GY's I have yet to see any difference week in week out. Non of them give us 1hr 30 min games we should play. They are all played on Dirt with grass outfields and dugouts, they all have good snack bars, every tourney we have been at on the above list has done field prep on average every other game. Fields are always well kept. They all give out trophies and medals at they end of Sunday. It seems we are all seeing more of this Gold Silver Bracket crap I hate. Note to All TD's if you want the extra $$$ that comes with the extra teams, pay for lights and give us more games on Sunday. Ump's are Ump's, they all Suck!!! :lol: Everyone else updates brackets on line like Gary, which would be my only complaint with RR they tend to take longer than the rest. That said it has gotten a lot better on Sunday. Some tourneys have weak teams some have strong teams but that changes week to week depending on where the better teams are playing. Teams follow teams, some tend to try and play where the better teams are and others stay away from the better teams.

So I ask again what do you feel GY does so much better?
Ovr Weight N Bald

by Iluvblue » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:32 pm

You do realize that if they do the silver/gold bracket stuff that they are not getting less games, right? I personally like the silver/gold bracket for a few reasons.

I do not want to play some team on Sunday morning that is AWFUL. If they went 0-3 on Saturday and got crushed, and we go 3-0 and are very good, what do you think is going to happen Sunday morning? By getting that weak team into another bracket of weaker teams, it allows those girls to have a little success and gain some confidence. That weak team gains NOTHING by getting crushed each Sunday.

Tournaments only recently started doing that stuff, as 4 years ago when I just stayed in 14u, we never had those types of brackets... EVER.
Now that Stockton has taken care of the fences at Arnaiz, I dont have any complaints. 90 minute no new inning would be great, but that has never been the standard since I started in softball 14 years ago. It is also not just tournament directors. You do know if the umps do longer games, they want more money as well, so tourney fees would go up even higher.
Iluvblue

by Ovr Weight N Bald » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 am

Iluvblue wrote:You do realize that if they do the silver/gold bracket stuff that they are not getting less games, right?

Depending on how a tourney's brackets are done. Most TD's bump to Gold Silver when they get to 16 - 20 teams. Which adds one extra round of games giving everyone a minimum of 4 games on Sunday. by doing a gold and silver it gives your top seeds 3 games bottom seed 4 games so teams do get less games.

Iluvblue wrote:That weak team gains NOTHING by getting crushed each Sunday.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought you are one who is always telling us how the better teams will rise to the top and how teams need to play better teams to get better. I am confused??

Iluvblue wrote:Tournaments only recently started doing that stuff

I guess I am just old school My feeling is if you can't compete you should be in another type of tourney. I feel ASA should be straight up play, No Gold Silver.

Iluvblue wrote: 90 minute no new inning would be great, You do know if the umps do longer games, they want more money as well, so tourney fees would go up even higher.

I think we all get the reason we don't play 90min games. You do realize the Ump charge really has nothing to do with this though. The extra cost for the longer game is $3 per ump per game on an average 60 game tourney you are talking a total of $360 for the weekend in extra fees for umps. The biggest reason we don't play longer games is you would have to add extra fields or turn lights on which none of the TD's want to do as it would cut into their 3k to 5k profits on the weekend. Or like you say they would now have to charge more which again I understand they are there to make money. These guys should make money, it takes a lot of time to run a tourney and they are providing a service, they should get paid!

I never said any of these TD's do a bad job I am just wondering, which is why I asked my question. What is the difference with the GY tourneys that noncrazy speaks of. Maybe it is just me but I just don't see it.
Ovr Weight N Bald

by noncrazynorcal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 am

Ovr Weight N Bald wrote: What is the difference with the GY tourneys that noncrazy speaks of. Maybe it is just me but I just don't see it.

I didn't say there was any difference. Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Turret94 has complained multiple times about the lack of TD competition in our area, suggesting that we get an inferior product as a result of Gary Ybarra having an in with Kelly Jackson who has direct influence over who is allowed to promote ASA tournaments in the area. Turret states that the lack of competition is a problem.

You said you've been to tournaments run by at least 5 other organizations that have been fine. Sounds to me like there's plenty of competition and in your own words, you're saying that the events have all been fine, leading me to believe you feel like you got your money's worth.
noncrazynorcal

by Iluvblue » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 am

Maybe I am wrong but I thought you are one who is always telling us how the better teams will rise to the top and how teams need to play better teams to get better. I am confused??

I did say it wont matter for the top teams, they are going to get to the semis or finals EVERY weekend... if they are a top team.

But I NEVER said you need to play better teams to get better, and especially at 12u. Our 12u played a few games this weekend where we won 13 and 10-0. I can promise you, those teams didnt get better by playing us. But.... we actually do get better by playing them. Sounds crazy?? Think about it.

I am trying to teach our young 12u girls a VERY SPECIFIC style of play that we do on every team I have ever coached. I allow my kids to do certain things that other coaches wont. I need these kids to be on base, and be on base OFTEN in order for them to learn the things I am teaching. I can not do it in practice, it has to be game experience. So playing a team with a pitcher that walks a lot of batters is actually good for us at this age. It allows us to run our offense, have some success, the girls gain confidence in what I am saying, and then when we do play better teams, they are not afraid to do the things they have learned.

Now if our young 12u team is playing against teams that are better than us every game, we arent getting on base as much, we arent running the plays I want them to learn as much, and their confidence is not growing.

Now do I want those games every game? Nope, but out of our 5 games this weekend, we got to play 1 really good team in the semis, and we lost 5-4 in ITB, and in the other 4 games, I can see kids growing game to game. PERFECT for what I am trying to accomplish, which is measured over the course of 1-2 years, not 1-2 weeks.
Iluvblue

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal