Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

NorCal

how far are you willing to drive?

by catchers_rock » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 am

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how far are people willing to drive for softball? I know that there are many factors that play in to this decision, but just in general. How far is too far?
catchers_rock
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 pm

by Watermanhouse » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am

My daughter is 10U. When selecting a team my biggest concern was good (fair) coaching and commute. In my opinion, there really aren't very many good experienced coaches in this age group, in our area. Our typical commute is to practice is 10-20 minutes. I really like our coach/team and think it's a great fit. I'd commute further, up to 30-45 mins max if the coaching was significantly better or the team and other factors were ideal.

As my daughter ages and gets better I expect I will have to drive further. At this age, I don't care as much about wins and loses. I care that she is playing, learning fundamentals, sportsmanship, and having fun. Wins are great but not everything.
Watermanhouse
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 pm

by Iluvblue » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 am

Typically, the older players get, the farther they are willing to drive.

We are basically Stockton/Modesto area, but practice in Oakdale. In 14u, we had kids from as far away as Reno and Hollister.

4 years later, still have kids from Reno (2 of them) and kids from Hollister. This should be totally dependent on what you are getting from your drive, if you are driving long distances, your kid better be getting far more out of it than if she stayed local.

Only one person can decide if the time and money is worth it... you.
Iluvblue
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 pm

by ICMTM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 am

We never play in Sacramento County anyway so what does it matter? I have a daughter that had Sunday practices in Modesto for cheer. We live near the Sac Airport. I did a toe touch when she got her license! My wife did most of the driving anyway but still. So to answer your question I guess 90 miles but the further out you go the more special that team needs to be.
ICMTM
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 pm

by RockThePark » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 am

2 1/2 - 3 hours...because that's how far we drive to play on a 12U team out of Sacramento. It's a sad reality, but there are no decent teams where we live.
RockThePark
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 am

by dad4norcalsoftball » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:09 pm

I have a new 14u dd so for me its 30-40minutes.....that's my reality with work and other life things...
dad4norcalsoftball
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:54 pm

by Mr. Monday! » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am

In general I believe that if you are in an area with many teams that are competitive at your DD's age group then you are fine. We have traveled anywhere from 30-90 minutes to play on certain teams. I guess now because of her age, we would travel the distance we needed to to get her the coaching and exposure she needs! Luckily for us we have teams in our area that give us all those opportunities.
User avatar
Mr. Monday!
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 am

by Fly Out » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

I think most parents are in the same ball park of 30 To 40 mins. Another question to add would be how far r u willing to travel to play and at what age. 12s 14s 16s. Is playing in So Cal once a month to much at 12s but not enough at 16s. What should the balance be? Heard of a few 10s teams going south for friendlies last year is that to early?
Fly Out
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 pm


Return to NorCal