Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

I know grapes come in bunches, but SEVEN teams?

by Iluvblue » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:59 am

Ok... cmon now. VERY FEW organizations keep kids in from 10-18. Strikezone comes to mind, but I started the Monarchs because I felt we did not do a good job of working together and allowing kids to move straight up. So lets keep it real about that happening.

I had several STUD players on my 14u team that were told to come to tryouts like everyone else for the older teams. I hated that.

Strikezone called and said send them and they are on my team... not because he needed players, but because he was aware of the level of players on my team. Those kids should have stayed in house.

Many of you have been around for a short time (as in Olson has been coaching in Grapes for 10 years) and you really are not sure of any history longer than a few years. But you speak as if you know exactly what has happened in the past.

This is not about a hating thread, so lets not turn it into one. I think this is a great question being asked, one in which we can discuss and stay civil.

IN our case... NO TRYOUT for 18g or 16u. Why? Because I have the kids that I want and will work to make them better. I dont need to look for the best player out there, as that search never ends and gets old. But you can also only do that if your players stick around. We lost 2 from the Gold team, and none from 16u.

Im not saying my way is best, im just saying that this is what I wanted when I started the Monarchs, and it is starting to work that way.
Iluvblue

by JimineyCricket » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:02 am

I'm very impressed with how quickly thoughtful responses have begun to appear. Thank you for helping start this thread off right! Still looking for someone to provide information on the 12u teams/coaches. Hope it stays positive (or at least civil and honest)...
JimineyCricket

by NumeroUno » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Congrats to the Grapettes expanding, they always put good teams on the field. I don't know any of the younger teams but we have played their Gold teams and the coaches are good dudes
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by triplecrown » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Most teams dont have a lot of kids leaving from Fall to Summer, the exodus takes place after Summer, you might have 1 or 2 changes on most teams From Fall to Summer (which IMO your looking for a needle in a haystack)
triplecrown

by ICMTM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:17 pm

triplecrown wrote: There are a lot of kids playing softball which is a good thing IMO but, the quality is suffering, both in coaching and team play. I am a fan of development first at the younger ages (so choose wisely), second competing is crucial, playing for a team that can play with the better teams so you get better yourself is key, and winning against the better teams instills confidence, and confidence produces mental toughness that kids will need as they move on.

1. Fastpitch is not the #1 sport played by girls therefore there is talent out there.
2. Segregation leads to more teams and more coaches, which take on teams for reasons other than player development. If LA and Orange Counties, which are within an hour of each other have 14 million people, AND all counties north of LA county have 13 million people (8 hr drive) that is the reason why your talent pool is "diluted." If you want to drive for a team more than 75 miles away one way you can correct that dilution.
3. There are enough good coaches around. Quit blaming coaching for all your problems.
4. The big orgs get kids right at the start of 12U. Where parents and players finally realize they should jump from rec to comp is usually somewhere during 12u or at the beginning of 14u. It's a two year head start playing with quality players. Playing better talent is huge!!! Playing up does not equate to playing better talent necessarily.

So...

If the Grapes have 8 teams 14u and under they have figured something out. If you get them young you can make them better players when it matters, like 16u but more importantly 18Gold.
ICMTM

by Wilson Bats » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Didn't the Grapettes have 3 14U team this last summer and only 1 finished the season. Vasquez's team blowup in mid July and the other team out of Sacramento fell apart also. Maybe they will have better luck with 4 teams, 3 out of the same area.
Wilson Bats

by triplecrown » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 pm

ICMTM wrote:
triplecrown wrote: There are a lot of kids playing softball which is a good thing IMO but, the quality is suffering, both in coaching and team play. I am a fan of development first at the younger ages (so choose wisely), second competing is crucial, playing for a team that can play with the better teams so you get better yourself is key, and winning against the better teams instills confidence, and confidence produces mental toughness that kids will need as they move on.

1. Fastpitch is not the #1 sport played by girls therefore there is talent out there.
Thanks for the heads up
2. Segregation leads to more teams and more coaches, which take on teams for reasons other than player development. If LA and Orange Counties, which are within an hour of each other have 14 million people, AND all counties north of LA county have 13 million people (8 hr drive) that is the reason why your talent pool is "diluted." If you want to drive for a team more than 75 miles away one way you can correct that dilution.
WOW, your right SoCal has a ton of talent, just out of curiousity how many 18 Gold teams do you think SoCal A's have, and how many do you think they COULD have, vs how many gold teams do grapes have?

3. There are enough good coaches around. Quit blaming coaching for all your problems.
Not blaming anyone, just stating an opinion based on what I see out there, and softball has never been a problem

4. The big orgs get kids right at the start of 12U. Where parents and players finally realize they should jump from rec to comp is usually somewhere during 12u or at the beginning of 14u. It's a two year head start playing with quality players. Playing better talent is huge!!! Playing up does not equate to playing better talent necessarily.
really :shock:

So...

If the Grapes have 8 teams 14u and under they have figured something out. If you get them young you can make them better players when it matters, like 16u but more importantly 18Gold.

[b]Thats my whole point, and i think you missed it, its quality not quantity that matters
triplecrown

by Coach Kat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 am

triplecrown wrote:
ICMTM wrote:

Thanks for the heads up
WOW, your right SoCal has a ton of talent, just out of curiousity how many 18 Gold teams do you think SoCal A's have, and how many do you think they COULD have, vs how many gold teams do grapes have?

Not blaming anyone, just stating an opinion based on what I see out there, and softball has never been a problem

So...

[b]Thats my whole point, and i think you missed it, its quality not quantity that matters

Last time I checked we only have one 18 Gold Team. A very successfull one that consistently helps girls get D-1 college scholarships at that.
Coach Kat

by triplecrown » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:37 am

Coach Kat wrote:
triplecrown wrote:
ICMTM wrote:

Thanks for the heads up

So...

Last time I checked we only have one 18 Gold Team. A very successfull one that consistently helps girls get D-1 college scholarships at that.

hmm, so TC does not play Gold? Furthermore, my point is since someone decided to go SoCal on me, is to bring up that its not always about numbers.. its about providing quality development throughout your program, once you hit a point where your sacrificing that and quality of development drops off and/or quality of play decreases, it may be time to look at your model. Not saying Grapes are there but they have developed a pretty solid brand over a extended period of time and to sacrifice that now would not be good, just saying...
triplecrown

by JimineyCricket » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, I started this thread hoping to hear about the Grapettes 12u and 14u teams. We've heard a bit about the 14s, but nothing at all about the 12s. Does anyone know anything about one or more of their three 12u teams?
JimineyCricket

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal