Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

14U 99 teams, what are your needs?

by onlooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Is it possible the '99 coaches will list what they need, someday? somehow? someway? here's your chance.

What POSITION(s) do you need filled?
unacceptable answers are talent, speed, bat, glove, good kid, happy parents, list a position please and help parents help your team and the kids on your team!

Breeze (Jaquez) - Specific need Outfielder, listed in Ads.
RR Gold (Miller) - no ads
Team California (Garcia) - Specific needs listed on page 4
All American Mizuno (Stone) - Specific Need listed on page 4
All American Sports Academy (Norwood) - Not listing needs in ads
KG Hitters (Garcia) - no ads since time of this post
TC Smash (Cannella) - Has replied, see page 2, thanks.
Grapettes (Kappmeyer) - Has replied, see page 2, thanks.

If I have missed a 99 team, please just fill in your name and fire away.

I have only ONE agenda here....make the better teams better! lets get the talent to the tryout that can help them succeed before failing before the tryout because you already have 3 C's (or whatever position)! We already know you will all take the DD with the big bat and find a position for her (assuming you see one), this is for the other 99.9% of DD's you will see.

edited to add (ETA): Heat Removed
Last edited by onlooker on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
onlooker

by catchers_rock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm

That would be too easy! Great idea, it would be nice if all age groups would do this.
catchers_rock

by Extrainnings » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:28 pm

My daughter is in the 99 mix and we find it hard to figure out what tryouts to attend,this would help a lot
Extrainnings
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:35 pm

teams arent going to do this, because they will always take another ss if that kid is better than what they have. But you think they are going to say they need a ss, if they already have one???????

You should take your kid to the tryout that is going to help make her better, as well as have some success as a team. All players have different abilities which will lead kids ot different tryouts. A superstar is going to go to whatever team she wants, no matter what that team's needs are.

A weaker player better go to a weaker team's tryouts.
Iluvblue

by rbi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Nice theory but, what happens when little Suzy's (SS), pops glances at the post and sees Suzys coach is looking for a SS, just not a good idea when the drama is bad enough. If you REALLY want to find out pick the phone up and call the coach he will be hopefully straight forward, most do have cell phones :)
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Good point Spaz, versatility makes you a more valuable asset to any team, athleticism does help in being versatile though, (ex.. if your a corner and not real fleet of foot, you might be limited :) .

I understand that everybody and their brother has tryouts at same time, and most coachs want decisions like NOW on accepting spots, so do you homework.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by onlooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Trust me, I knew before posting that coaches would probably NOT fill this out. No one can say that I didn't give them the chance though.

DEPTH is an acceptable answer too, I should have pointed that out, my fault.

While I appreciate the input from Spaz and RBI, it is clear to those in NorCal that of the teams listed, those are the coaches, you get what you get, there are NOT other options, there is no other homework to do, these are the teams people desire to play for in Nor Cal. It's not like there is a waiting list to get on a certain coaches team here. So, all of that being said, if you are on one of these teams listed and don't get the fact that your DD's position is always open for someone better (whether it be P, SS, C or RF), you are in for a rude awakening the next years. Your DD's spot will be wanted all the way past D1 and will go to the better player. If you don't play on a team with this play the best mentality then you have the rest of 14U in nor cal to choose from (which is not listed on purpose, feel free to do your homework on those teams separately). This post is meant for the top players in the area ONLY. You know who your DD is. You know who these teams are. Here's a "chance" to see if they have a spot open (BEFORE TRYOUTS).

im not looking to see who wont fill this out or why (it goes without saying and has been thought about well before I posted). Again, my agenda is make the better teams better.
onlooker

by ICMTM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:23 pm

The flipside is when you're not honest with people it comes out eventually, but in a negative manner. If you know you're looking to replace Suzy SS I think there is a way to say hey this is what we're looking for and here is where Suzy SS needs to fit in to continue. In fact I don't know why this isn't a part of the routine for the younger ages?

When we ran our soccer team we had to tell families our intentions on keeping or asking a player to tryout BEFORE tryouts and the board reviewed it. So if this weekend is tryouts we had to have this discussion around Halloween at the latest. Our position was if we brought somenoe on we wanted to make it work. At the 1st sign it wasn't working we'd pull the player and parent aside and tell them where we'd like them to improve. If they couldn't do that it was clear we were moving in another direction because we'd follow up.

All I see is "give me the gear off your back after the last game because everyone is trying out!"
ICMTM

by CheckWriter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm

I also think this whole "do you homework" thing is over rated.

Not because it is not important, but because it is not easy to do without getting some experience. Until you've had a good coach, a horrific coach and one or two in between, how the hell do you know what a good coach is? Throw in the fact that it takes a few practices, not to mention tournaments (whether elimination or showcase) to figure out where DD really fits in. Not where you might think she fits or what the coach tells you before he/she even knows what talent is really there and is staying.

You are going to have some seasons that are not so hot. Hopefully, by the time you hit older 14s or 16s you have a pretty good feel for the whole undertaking and you find a good fit. After a couple of years of this rat race, you get to know the teams and the coaches get to know the kids and the phone calls start - asking you to bring your DD to this or that practice / tryout.

You have to start somewhere and odds of it being perfect in the beginning and then staying perfect until you mover DD into her dorm are pretty much nil. Just go to a couple of tryouts, pick the team that seems the best fit and then live with it until the fall or spring ends. If it was OK or better, stick around, if not, move on.

JMO

PS Maybe this should be posted on another thread.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach Kat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Grapettes Kappmeyer - We are looking to fill 2-3 roster spots. We could use a dominant pitcher (who could'nt) as our #1 is coming back from injury and are looking for the best players available to compliment, compete with and push our exisiting core. Looking for high energy players with good attitudes and the ability to communicate and focus under pressure. All positons are open for competition. Please keep your eye on the tryout forum and/or our website for location change due to bad weather as we get close to the weekend.

To view our 2013 schedule visit our website at: http://www.eteamz.com/californiagrapetteskappmeyer/

Contact Coach Kappmeyer @ 209-406-8699 or ckappmeyer32@gmail.com
Coach Kat

Next

Return to NorCal