Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Spectator Etiquette

by Observation » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 am

(Prima Donna: a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team)

People in the stands need to watch the way they act just like coaches and players do. I observed a lot of obnoxious behavior this past weekend - more than usual. I will tell you that I wouldn’t care if your child was the best player in 12u softball, I wouldn’t have her on my team if I had to deal with spectators/parents in the stands acting so foolish that others around felt embarrassed for the team they were associated with. At this age, it’s not just the players teams keep their eyes on. Who wants to have their name tainted because you can’t act your age? This same goes for how you act on this site. Let’s face it, some people know who others are on here and in our small softball community, word gets around fast. Then there are others who say who they are, such as those who represent orgs, and post more asinine comments than comments that make sense.

Bottom line; these are 11, 12 and 13 year old girls who are learning and developing in their chosen sport all while their emotions are up and down and their bodies are changing. If you care more about winning so much as to act like an imbosol around these kids during their games then you have issues. What a player does in 12u softball doesn’t matter. I know this is a hard concept for some of you to understand, but it’s true. Let them play and get their quirks out now. Being a top performer by the time they are recruiting age is what matters. If you don’t believe this then you have bigger issues, probably with what you didn’t accomplish in your youth and now you are trying to live through your child and putting way too much pressure on them. Keep acting the way you do and your child will be sick of playing by the time being a top performer really matters. I am already seeing this happen and it’s really sad. There is so much wasted talent out there and it’s because of the way some of these girls are treated.

Good luck to all of the teams as we embark on the homestretch of the Spring 2013 season.
Observation

by NORCALPARENT » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:12 pm

AMEN!!!! :D
NORCALPARENT

by oneASAparent » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Has anyone noticed the kids that don't want to play are the ones with the most obnoxious parents?
oneASAparent

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 pm

oneASAparent wrote:Has anyone noticed the kids that don't want to play are the ones with the most obnoxious parents?

No, both my DD's still play!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sftbll4ever

by NORCALPARENT » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Kids who don't want to play :?:
NORCALPARENT

by SquirrelsDad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Thank you, for taking the time to write such a considerate and passionate statement. I hope everyone reads this post, and takes it to heart. I must admit I strive hard to provide my children with the training, coaching and work ethic to develop them in to the best that they can be for whatever sport or interest they have. I am likely at times too pushy, and it's moments like this that I am humbled and realize that they aren't about to step out in to the world to be leaders just yet... they're kids, and kids they should be.

Thank you again!
SquirrelsDad

by watchtonsofsoftball » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Im sorry what? You mean at 12u we don't know what we're talking about? Sh*T I thought I knew it all at 12U. I love being a college parent now. Im more concerned if my coke is cold enough than if my kid gets a hit. Its freakin awesome. :D
watchtonsofsoftball

by ICMTM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 am

I realized something:

We're at the park for 8+ hours on Saturday and we're bored. When you have little or nothing to do you obsess about things you can't control. I realized this because I started bringing my grill last year to every event where I could. Some parks I can sit pretty close but others I'm in the outfield. I have something to do and to look forward to. My lunch/dinner becomes far more important than anything my kid is doing.

When I do not bring my BBQ I want to know the lineup, who we're playing, who's pitching, etc instead of just watching the game. We have nothing else to do when we're at the ball field. I am bored.

Bring a deck of cards, walk around the field (if possible), go to the parking lot and talk about things completely unrelated to the team. Bring a grill. Drop your kid off and run an errand. You'll be a happier spectator.
ICMTM

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:12 am

ICMTM wrote:When I do not bring my BBQ I want to know the lineup, who we're playing, who's pitching, etc instead of just watching the game. We have nothing else to do when we're at the ball field. I am bored.

And bringing your own BBQ to a friendly is rude considering the team hosting is using it as a fundraiser.
Sftbll4ever

by ICMTM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 am

Saying I'm rude for BBQing in a public park is the dumbest thing I've heard! That's almost un American.
ICMTM

Next

Return to NorCal