Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

2 of the TOP YOUNG Coaches

by mr.flamboyant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:57 am

Joe Mello?
mr.flamboyant

by EliteSB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 pm

I find it interesting that Sorcerers are letting a coach with kids on the team at 18G level. One of the reasons why if this is same person who helped out AASA, I tried to steer my kid away from the team.I really didn't think the dynamic was going to work. Just my thoughts at what I saw and heard. My dd was torn and really liked the team....so maybe just me (wouldn't be first time). Seemed like a good guy just at the 18G level Im partial to teams w/out kids. To much drama for me these days. Trying to take this last year of TB easy and not get the blood boiling :D
EliteSB

by agon3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Whether a coach has a kid on the team or not is irrelevant in my experience. Every coach has the potential for "daddyball" whether the kids are genetically theirs or not. For what it is worth, we have played for coaches that have had their kids on the team and the kids have been studs and earned their position. We have also been on teams where the coach had no kids but still had a "daddyball" situation because the coach had their favorite players that got more play time and opportunity than other deserving kids based on the coaches belief in that favorite kid. Joe Mello is a good guy and the type of coach that will demand the best out of his team. I anticipate that Sorcerer team to be quite deadly this year.
agon3

by fairball » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 pm

the coach had their favorite players that got more play time and opportunity than other deserving kids based on the coaches belief in that favorite kid

Exactly. Belief in the athlete. Isn't what most coaches are guided by? Do they not want to win? Do NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and NCAA coaches not make decisions based on their belief in their favorite athletes? It has nothing to do with deserving. Plus, how do you define deserving? Playing time should never be guarenteed outside of rec ball. When it's all said and done, the best players should, and usually do, play. Jimmy Johnson said it best. Playmakers like Michael Irvin and Emit Smith could arrive late to a meeting with no consequences; however, how dare a lesser player do the same. The ballers get preferential tretment. It's how the world works. The corporate world is no different than sports.
fairball

by jbl1465 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Fairball hit it right on the head. Confidence in a player is king not matter what everyone says.
jbl1465

by Iluvblue » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:26 am

Actually Jimmy said that if a special teams player fell asleep in a meeting, he would cut him. But if E Smith fell asleep during a meeting, Jimmy would stand up and declare " Nap Time Everyone."

I only clarify because I love that story ... : :D
Iluvblue

by agon3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am

You are correct., that is the way the world works. Doesn't make I right. :-)

BTW.., by deserving I did not mean that just because they were on the team they should get dirt time. I am nopt referring to participation trophies in rec ball. By deserving I meant they were good quality players; However, they did not have the guardian angel watching over their play time. I have seen pitchers with a low ERA sit the bench because they did not throw in the fabled 60+ MPH zone. Meanwhile.., the flamethrowers are getting bombed because they are missing their spots. It is a known fact that coaches like flamethrowers. :-)

I have taught my DD to work hard and fight for her spot. Over the long haul.., the hard work and the good attitude will pay off in life. She understands the way the world works and knows there will be times in life, both athletically and in business, when unfair things happen and you have to find a way to win anyway.
agon3

Previous

Return to NorCal