Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Triple crown

by softballfamily » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

It is nice to see NorCal teams win the triple crown World Series in Reno, Nevada. MVP 98 took the Silver Bracket and Breeze 98 took the Gold Bracket. Great job NorCal.
softballfamily
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 99NorCal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 pm

softballfamily wrote:It is nice to see NorCal teams win the triple crown World Series in Reno, Nevada. MVP 98 took the Silver Bracket and Breeze 98 took the Gold Bracket. Great job NorCal.

Great yes to see NorCal win. And that goes to Breeze 98. Nothing against MVP or any other team that could have won it, but it's the Silver. If you want to give NorCal kudos, let's go with the runners up in Gold with Valley Stompers. Then let's mention KG Hitters and AASA Norwood and AASA Harrison. I could go on, because there are more NorCal teams that went Gold. Some did well and others did pretty bad. No doubt the Silver champs could have fared better than some Gold teams but going through the Silver bracket just wasn't the same.
99NorCal

by Sftball Junkie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Couldn't agree more about the Silver thing. All the years we have been in softball I have always laughed when people would say We won the Silver or Bronze Championship. In your standard local tournament that normally means you ended up between 12th and 14th. In a big tourney could be more like 30th or 40th place. Most people wouldn't be so excited if they looked at it that way.

Just Sayin
Sftball Junkie

by skoufax » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 am

And this matters because.......? A nice shout out goes to some teams and is immediately bashed? The bucket loses more credibility each day.
skoufax

by 99NorCal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 am

skoufax wrote:And this matters because.......? A nice shout out goes to some teams and is immediately bashed? The bucket loses more credibility each day.

I'll explain beyond, "I'm getting old and grumpy." :lol:

If the poster said, congrats to the gold winner this and the silver winner that, it's a nice shout out. But saying, NorCal won Triple Crown because a NorCal team also won silver is pushing it. Silver was 55th place this year out of 133 teams. I love to see NorCal do well. Wish all our NorCal teams were in the gold bracket and none were in silver and bronze. A dream, to be sure, but that would be representing!
99NorCal

by funpolice » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:09 am

I would normally agree with you 100% about winning the silver bracket, BUT, this one to me is a little different. The way Triple Crown hand picked the majority of gold bracket teams before any games played is ridiculous. You have teams going 3-1 and getting placed in the silver bracket, while teams are going 0-4 or 1-3 and going gold. It will never in my eyes be a prestigious tournament until the power pool is gone. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to who was in power pool. Did you just have to ask? That being said, MVP had to win a lot of games to win so I think a shout out isn't asking too much. The way some of you are thinking the entire tournament is a silver bracket compared to PGF!
funpolice

by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 am

skoufax wrote:And this matters because.......? A nice shout out goes to some teams and is immediately bashed? The bucket loses more credibility each day.

"The Bucket" isn't losing any credibility. However, the NorCal page is. Reading your 40 page threads of who the "best" 14u /12u team is, and enjoying some of the NorCal posters lack of self-awareness is awesome. A parents relentless obsession with getting their DD/team/coach some attention and validation to declare they are the "best" in your area is tiring. This routine is not just applicable solely to NorCal, but it certainly is rampant.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballfamily » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:36 am

Totally agree fun police. A large number of teams in the gold went 0-4, 1-3, and 2-2; where a large majority of the teams in the Silver Bracket went 3-1. With that it could reasonably be said the Silver Bracket was just as difficult as the Gold. And, many of those teams in Silver looked to be SoCal teams. Fun police you are correct. So I have to say that bashing those young ladies for their win is faulty.
softballfamily
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:50 pm

You can question the job TCS did in selecting 14U teams for the power pools, but comparing records between the pools is not conclusive. Presumably, the teams in the power pools were stronger on average than the ones in the other pools. Some teams in the power pools had to have a losing record, regardless of how good they are. A team that went 0-4 in a power pool may have gone 3-1 in a regular pool and a team that went 3-1 in a regular pool may have gone 0-4 in a power pool.

Teams that didn't deserve to be put in a power pool probably had a rough tournament and there undoubtably was some overlap between the brackets.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ICMTM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 am

I don't think power pools should be allowed in an open format. It's just not a true open tournament. You're telling a power pool team you basically get four scrimmage games before their tournament starts versus a team like an MVP that has to pretty much go undefeated throughout to prove their worth.

PDad wrote:Teams that didn't deserve to be put in a power pool probably had a rough tournament and there undoubtably was some overlap between the brackets.

I think that is my biggest issue with the power pool. The top 16 teams or so are a no-brainer. It's the other 16 or so teams that are probably deserving, but teams 24-32 are usually as good as team 32-48. Sometimes it's the coach that does/does not apply for the power pool that is the problem as teams 24-48 can be sometimes very close in competition.
ICMTM

Next

Return to NorCal