Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Where's the sportsmanship? Unbelievable display

by TC Dad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 am

I have to start off by saying, Im usually a reader not a poster. thus my first post. I was was watching TC 14u play in a Toys for Tots tournament up in Lincoln this past weekend. They were playing a team called West Sac Attack. OH MY!! The lack of knowing the rules of the game and sportsmanship is unbelievable. Between the vulgar language towards blue, not knowing basic rules and challenging everything and congratulating their girls for not walking through the hand shake line after they loss, then challenging the coaches to fight, Where is the sport heading? Can anyone coach a team? Maybe it's just me, but I did not like what I saw outthere. Hopefully, it was an Isolated incident!
TC Dad

by 530/916 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm guessing this is the same West Sac Attack team that played in the ASA Fall League? My DD's team has played them a few times and I've never witnessed the coaches act in this nature. I've always noticed they were a pretty quiet coaching staff. I agree...Hopefully it was just an isolated innocent after a LONG Fall season.
530/916

by lazyspectator » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:37 pm

530/916- consider yourself lucky :D

I was at one of their fall tryouts, I could definitly see where TC dad is coming from.
lazyspectator

by exD1dad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Here's how I've always looked at this type of behavior.

You take the pie of life & cut it into pieces of good people & bad people, loud & quiet, respectful & not, ethical & unethical, leaders & followers, losers & winners, self serving doucebags & righteous selfless humanitarian people who will give you the shirt off their back & the last dollar in their pocket, these seem to bee more of the envious, lecherous, litigious know it all aholes who shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

At the same time I try to understand that a lot of these idiots only know what their parents taught them & occasionally I do pray for others who are just too stupid to try & learn for themselves. Now I'm no Saint & have stuck my foot in my mouth far too many times to count but it's only a game & win lose or draw it's supposed to be fun & we as adults are supposed to set the example for the children.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sportykids » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:45 pm

I wish the parents could have as much fun as our daughters do. Unfortunately they are too busy judging and criticizing others.
We are missing out on fun. Just sayin.....
sportykids

by moosemcnair@aol.com » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:18 am

I don't know this team. But there is not enough good sportsmanship out there from what I see. Parents should support their DD's and the team. Coaches should coach, not argue. Everyone should do their best to be good role models.

One thing that bugs me is not enough coaches tell a player from another team that they made a great play or they are a great player. It means a lot to these kids if the other teams coaches say good job.

Also complaining about every close call is stupid. A good coach knows to let it go and maybe argue a bad call once in a while calmly and with respect to the umpires. This goes farther with the umps, is a good example for the players and the parents. Also coaches and teams need team rules that keep the parents in the stands as supportive fans not angry mobs!!!

People don't realize how silly they look and sound when they lose their minds, let alone what it teaches the kids![size=150][size=150]
[/size]
Mike McNair/Norcal Smackers[/size]
moosemcnair@aol.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ballersmommy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 am

My DD and her team also experienced this coach. He was very loud and irate. In my opinion, he was trying to intimidate the players before the game even started by saying degrading things. I understand pumping up your team to make them feel empowered or confident, but to do so loudly that all the players and spectators could hear made it very clear of his mission. Funny thing is, in 14's that doesn't work anymore. His comments made our girls want to smash them...and boy did it make our WIN that much more enjoyable. He was also trying to intimidate the blue the whole entire game, which again didn't work in his favor.

What it tells me is that his confidence in his team is not enough. He feels like he needs to "help" them by trying to instill fear in their opponents (again which doesn't work so much in 14U). Let your team and their skills speak for itself and prove it on the field.

I guess I could say "nice try, coach" but didn't work with my kid or her team. :lol:
ballersmommy

by lazyspectator » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't understand why parents would allow their DD to play for that team/coach. :?
lazyspectator

by eastonstubborn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:34 pm

by ballersmommy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 am

My DD and her team also experienced this coach. He was very loud and irate. In my opinion, he was trying to intimidate the players before the game even started by saying degrading things. I understand pumping up your team to make them feel empowered or confident, but to do so loudly that all the players and spectators could hear made it very clear of his mission. Funny thing is, in 14's that doesn't work anymore. His comments made our girls want to smash them...and boy did it make our WIN that much more enjoyable. He was also trying to intimidate the blue the whole entire game, which again didn't work in his favor.

What it tells me is that his confidence in his team is not enough. He feels like he needs to "help" them by trying to instill fear in their opponents (again which doesn't work so much in 14U). Let your team and their skills speak for itself and prove it on the field.

I guess I could say "nice try, coach" but didn't work with my kid or her team[quote][/quote]

Good for you and your DD and her team! Thats the only way to shut guys like this up! Don't stoop to thier level just beat them. I never heard of this team West Sac, are they new? have they been around for a while? antics like this they probably won't last long. As an ex-coach I hate seeing this happen, Unfortunately, there isn't much to do about these kind of people, just besat them and hope they go away in time. .
eastonstubborn

Return to NorCal