Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

"The Coaches do not have kids on the team"

by Gfrank » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:18 pm

I think its just a convienient tool used when it suits an organization. Many of these Org have at many times had teams coached by Dads. When they finally get a team with females or non parent coaches they then add that it in to attract the 10-15% that walk around all weekend preaching/complaining about the Daddy Ball issue. When the day comes that they add a parent to the staff that phrase will be quietly dropped. As for me it doesnt make or break anything. I myself coached for years as a father. Like many of you I was pulled into out of necessity just so my kid could have a place to play. Its what happened after I starrted coaching tha matters. I found out I loved this sport. I started watching and following the coaches that were successful, I read books, watched video, and studied the game. I, at times, was way more hard on my kids then others. That is a drawback to having a parent coach. I dont sit here and profess I am a coaching genius. I have Managed at 10-14U, helped coached up to 18G and feel I would still be better then a good percentage of Non Parent managers. As for the all Female coaching Staff. It has its advnatages at times but female coaches are just as suceptable to ego, pride, ignorance, and hubris as us dudes. Plus, more and more, you can call it mommy ball. For me though, 2 of my 3 girls are grown up and the 3rd finishes this year. I will just say I had some of the best times of my life in this game and will be a fan for the rest of my life.
Gfrank

by Stealing Home » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Great post Gfrank - very accurate.
Stealing Home

by mike robert » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:34 pm

I have heard many coaches claim they treat their daughter/s like everyone else. No daddy ball. Out of at least 15 coaches, I have never seen a coach not favor his daughter in some way. Nor do I blame them, it is human nature. In addition they will play favorites, hopefully those favorites deserve the play. I myself consider it an advantage to have a coach that does not have a daughter on the team. Most of these coaches will not coach when their daughter/s are finished playing softball for good.
mike robert

Previous

Return to NorCal